jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Suggestion: Zemanta

1. That Grrl profile image80
    That Grrlposted 4 years ago

Could HP consider adding the Zemanta service? It gives images which are allowed to be used. It also brings up links and link trading. In the case of a large site like HP, Zemanta could set it up so we only share HP links or choose from HP and other offsite links. It would be useful for the images alone and it would put our HP posts into the database of Zemanta too.

I'm just starting to use it for my own blog. First time around I didn't like it, but that was a couple of years ago. It seems to have a better following now. Zemanta and HubPages could work really well together for HP and the writers here.

1. relache profile image89
      relacheposted 4 years ago in reply to this

How does their "link trading" not fall in the same family as the link farms and link swapping that is disallowed by Google?

That Grrlposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I don't let Google dictate how I run my sites. So I don't pay much attention to their rules, official or rumoured.

But, like any other link exchanging, it is up to the blogger not to go overboard. I often add links to posts I write. I never ask for link exchanges. I link to something that would be useful for anyone interested in the topic I am writing about. So, if I see something come up on Zemanta (same as choosing to link to a post from another writer on HubPages) I review their post and decide if I want to link to it or not.

The linking to other posts is part of Zemanta. I was thinking it would be the images which would work better for HubPages. I see people posting about not knowing where to look for images which are 'free' to use. Zemanta offers a selection from sources which are available for use. It is up to the writer to pick the image they want and choose to add a link back or not.

2. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure I'd call it "link trading".  It works like the suggestion tool on HubPages - Zemanta will look through its members' blogs and suggest posts which are related to your post. 

I have to say, though, that I'm not that impressed with Zemanta. I installed it on my blog as an easy way to get related images but they're often not that relevant.

I'm not using it a lot. But, it does give people an option. I see posts here without any image and this would be an easy way for people to find something at least. The posts without look so bland, especially now when people have become used to an image with each post.

2. relache profile image89
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Okay, now I hate the Zemanta suggestion outright.

I prefer forums to be as image-free as possible.  I bailed on the Q&A section once irrelevant images became a standard part of the process.

It's not for forums. It's for the HubPages posts/ articles/ copy we write and post and which should have at least one image with it.

1. Stacie L profile image88
        Stacie Lposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I used this for a short time on my blog and liked it at fist but then it became to cumbersome.
        I am still open to a tool to help me get more attention, so thanks for the review.

I had it instlalled on my web browser first. I didn't like that because it was everywhere and cumbersome was the right word. Now I just have a plugin on the one blog I am trying it out on. It's better. Anyway, I'm not making daily posts to my blog right now so I'm giving it a month-long trial.

working