jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)

Rainbow River, FL?

1. habee profile image89
    habeeposted 4 years ago

Anyone been diving, fishing, snorkeling, or tubing on the Rainbow near Dunnellon? It looks gorgeous in the pics and videos I've seen! We're thinking of renting a house there for a family/friends vacay. What kinds of fish can you catch?

2. Pearldiver profile image86
    Pearldiverposted 4 years ago

Nope...

But if you want some real fish and fishing... come down and see me, some time...

A 24lb Brown Trout was weighed in a couple of weeks ago by Barry the one legged axeman... and we regularly have the odd old trout looking to hook up with a real angler, dependent of course on the size of his bait!  smile

And for Saltwater fishing locally...

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7558823_f248.jpg

22 lb Red Snapper

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7558824_f248.jpg

23 lb Red Snapper

We don't have catfish here... just dogfish!  smile

1. habee profile image89
      habeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do you have flounder and redfish? Flounder is awesomely delish!

1. Pearldiver profile image86
        Pearldiverposted 4 years ago in reply to this

We net and spear flounder on the incoming tides in estuaries, rivers and harbors... You need a spear, because of their size and the dangerous nature of them... not like your tame corn kernel fed variety!  More like halibut on steroids!  smile   Sometimes only a lead spinner is the right lure to dispatch them!  smile

I don't know what your redfish are... but we have a few red, green, blue, pink, silver and even fluro colored fish here... all sorts... we are just islands after all, so we are surrounded by ocean and from the relatively unexplored Southern Ocean.. we often get Giant Squid and humongous penguins... smile

But often it's too hard to find anyone prepared to take you fishing for them, not just because penguins are protected, but giant squid aren't... and the problem with them is; that to catch them, you need a giant bait and gear and only purpose built boats have the facilities to store the baits and the squid... smile
        Pretty dangerous stuff fishing down here... even catch Marlin by jumping out of choppers and wrestling them into submission.... so you see, flounder are tame compared to that!  smile  Check youtube...

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
          SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

kewl!....i'm heading out on the next chopper.....!!!

...i watched something on the glowtube last night about giant squids as a matter of fact....i'd luv to see penguin....such an amazing place where you live PD!...i watched the Hobbit the other day too...beautiful country!

Yeah, it's not bad... but our carbon footprint is getting bigger all the time sad

You do realize we all have really, really big feet though don't you ML??  lol

You need them for holding onto black and blue marlin....
            and for acting roles in Peter Jackson movies!  smile

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
              SomewayOuttaHereposted 4 years ago in reply to this

....and i thought those were fake feet!!!!!!   yikes

We're not THAT pretentious ML... and of course All types of 'movies' are filmed here!!  lol

yikes

1. habee profile image89

You're in NZ? I don't know why, but I thought you were in Australia.

2. habee profile image89

500-pound grouper:
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6905608_f248.jpg

This is a redfish - a baby one and a good size to use as bait to catch the big ones. The grandkids catch 'em on cane poles for us.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7561908_f248.jpg

And I'll bet my dog is bigger than yours!! lol

Yep... I'm a Kiwi.... we are unique.... there are only 4.5million of us throughout the world, although 2.5 million of them are in Australia, that's why the fishing is still good here!

Cool... those are great shots!!
        And a great way for young ones to grow up!  smile

So you are good at catching the bait then!  smile

We have grouper also, but we only tag and release them because they are endangered and probably should be in FL too, around the pins.. they are gentle fish to dive with too.

It's more suitable to use the 800 - 1000 lb fish for chasing giant squid... our Southern Blue Tuna are perfect, but the last one just sold in Japan went for US 1.6 million... so now old dairy cows are being considered as alternatives!  I can't see that working though, as they are not a natural food source to the giant squid and if you know anything about cows... they are full of gas!!! smile

Yes... I used to own a Great Dane also... but we had to send him back to Europe, coz he was always trying to mount old people in the street!  yikes  Sooooo embarrassing..... he was REALLY good at it!!  lol

1. habee profile image89

Yes, Goliath grouper in FL are protected.

No, we let the kids catch the bait, unless we're tossing cast nets.

Why would you want to catch a giant squid?

Do you have manatees there?

Our Danes are very well mannered.

That's good... some of the backward ones here, use their kids for bait!  sad

Giant Squid are the ultimate game fish... they have sunk many boats, attack and feed on whales and just about any fisherman stupid enough to not tie himself in when hooked up!  Consider that they are between 20 - 60 foot long and then I'm sure you can appreciate why you use big hooks!  Normal squid lures don't work and in their natural space these guys are only eaten by the sperm whale, who can stay down for two hours on a single breath...  I have found half a giant squid (fresh) washed up and without its tenticles it was 18 feet long... it kept me in squid bait for 2 years and there was still enough left to make a 'meal' of squid rings for someone I disliked... smile   
            We don't have manatees... that's probably why old dairy cows were suggested as bait for giant squid??
            Oh yeah well, our Dane was also very well mannered Hollie... he always 'thanked' the people he mounted with a huge lick on their face!  It was sad seeing him leave though, because they have great personalities.... I believe he married a Swedish girl and they had a litter of 2..  lol   
            He would probably have gotten arrested today for what he did to passing pedestrians!  big_smile

3. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 4 years ago

Habee, I'm not much of a fishing gal, but the area is incredibly beautiful, the waters of the river are crystal clear.  You would love it, there's so much to do, it's nature's playground. 

I found this video -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oitLVJo … _embedded.
    Looks like fun~

1. habee profile image89

Thanks, Bek! I'll check out the vid.

working