jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (19 posts)

Is this legal on hp?

1. 0
    sandra rinckposted 7 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/Obama-Inaugurat … enediction

This hub has more unregistered hubber comments than any hub I have seen yet, and they are consecutive and while I really don't care, I just want to know if this is within the rules of hp because to me it seems he is doing this to drive his score up.

Can this actually happen or will his score remain the same based on the origins of the ip addresses the comments are generated from?

2. Christoph Reilly profile image85
    Christoph Reillyposted 7 years ago

I think you are right, Sandra.  I think he is doing it himself so he can really let his hate and racism out.  Suddenly, all these unregistered people come from the search engines, using aliases, spouting their hateful rhetoric. I don't think so.  Notice too that these comments are allowed to stay on, while he has been denying comments from those who have expressed the slightest disagreement with his twisted views.

It seems to me, that the hateful racism that is now on the page is enough to shut it down.  It's like Hitlers pulpit over there.  I have never complained to the office...does anybody know how to?  I guess we can go to the page and thumbs down and file a complaint, but that takes so long.

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

I went and took a look again. As much as I don't like the guy denying some comments, the ones that are there seem to be legit to me, at least most of them. So I don't think he is trying to use sock puppets, he probably hit some good search engine ranking for one of the related words...

1. 0
      sandra rinckposted 7 years ago in reply to this

nope, he isn't using sock puppets, he is using unregistered aliases.  I think I just don't like it because it is sorta like...voter registration fraud or something.

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

If you see something you think is fishy, flag the hub, fill in the boxes as to your why and let admin sort it out.

1. desert blondie profile image82
      desert blondieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

BUT...before you do this....take a look at my comment on a new topic of being shutdown...a
      robotic software that 'attacks' writers who flag 'icky' columns.  It supposedly happened to me! (In actuality...I don't know what happened to my columns...EXCEPT that Google shut down my opportunity to earn any money from them...OR from the other websites I created....quite lovingly...that were all connected to one Google income account) I"ve been warned that those who "flag' or 'thumbs down' will get revenged-upon.  Bad grammar, I know...but quickest way I could think to state it.
      Google gets there $$$ from my columns....as noted by the great advertisers that still show up on my columns. Hubpages gets there $$$.  I don't get my bit of the $$$ income. 
      So...be careful about ''being negative" to another columnist.  Such behavior really came back to me in the most negative of ways!

1. darkside profile image84
        darksideposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I doubt that there's an automated attack on people who flag or vote down another persons hub.

And people won't know it's you if you do either, unless you tell them or in someway broadcast it.

I don't think your problem is associated with the reporting of inappropriate content.

5. 0
    C. C. Riterposted 7 years ago

I was just there and I think he's recruited a lot of KKK buddies to spit out hatred. I think it's time to stop this bs. It's pretty bad.

6. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 7 years ago

Reserving judgment at the moment - maybe he is away from the computer. It will be interesting to see if the comments are still there tomorrow. hmm

7. 0

Here are just a few of the comments that I find offensive, and I do hate to rpeat them. I feel this is grounds to have this put to an end, somehow.

Leroy's lips are huge and big and they seem to be getting thicker, (to laringo)
    Your opinion is not right...as a matter of fact...your opinion is that of any other ignorant black. (to laringo again)
    Purely hatred and disgusting
    please forgive me for posting these quotes, but it needs to be stopped.

8. ProfoundPuns profile image86
    ProfoundPunsposted 7 years ago

I've flagged the hub and sent an email to Ryan. We'll see what admin thinks.

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image80
      Ryan Hupferposted 7 years ago in reply to this

We're taking a look at it -- from what I can tell he's getting some serious search traffic today, which would explain the fact that the comments are becoming more anonymous and more inappropriate.

9. 0

I also returned to that disgusting hub and flagged it.

10. 0

Thanks ryan

1. goldentoad profile image61
      goldentoadposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I say eliminate his delete feature, and let it be fair game.

11. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 7 years ago

There is a chance that the hub is getting linked to from other places (blogs and such) and these visitors are making comments.

There's no reason for him to be putting on a sock puppet show, as people who do that usually do it BEFORE they get any other comments. Here it's in the reverse. A lot of registered hubbers are posting and then the influx of outsiders.

The hubscore would be positively effected by the incoming traffic.

1. Lady Guinevere profile image60
      Lady Guinevereposted 7 years ago in reply to this

That is what it seems now.  When all this deleting comment was going on including my own comments he mentioned the fact that this is what he was trying to do but he didn't mind getting any ad hits.  You needed to be there at the beginning to understand what he was doing, to all who posted anything to his hub except for a very few hubbers.  Misty put up another hub similar to his and then after she and the rest of us posted the deleted comments he then allowed other comments to be posted.  Did she catch him in the act or was he watching to see what would happen and if he could or would get away with it?

Thanks You Sandra for having the boldness to bring this up to Management.

12. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 7 years ago

We've reminded Troy, and I'm now reminding all authors that they are responsible for ensuring that  both the content of their hub and the comments that they allow to appear on their hub fall within the HubPages rules, and the conditions of the AdSense Program Policy.

Most of the comments that I would characterize as in violation of the policy came in fairly recently, so we're going to give him the opportunity to moderate them himself before we take any action.  We don't moderate comments for authors, so if he's unable to bring his hub into compliance within a reasonable time frame, we will unpublish the hub.

Because an author is responsible for the compliance of the comments, they necessarily have control over what comments appear on their hubs. If you would like to engage in debate on neutral ground, I'd suggest taking advantage of the forum rather than the comment section of a hub.

13. Christoph Reilly profile image85
    Christoph Reillyposted 7 years ago

Desert Blonde:  Firstly, I am sorry this has happened to you.  I think it stinks.  Now.  I don't think they would know you were flagging their hubs unless you come on the forum and talk about it openly.  You should be able to do that, of course, but they have this way of getting revenge and there is apparently little one can do about it, which also stinks.  Google and Hubpages have to know that this sort of revenge thing takes place, yet they just let the innocent party suffer.

Anyway, I think you can flag hubs, but you are putting yourself at risk if you speak out publicly.  Welcome to America.   If anyone knows better, please respond.

Good Luck, Desert Blonde.