jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Fan insanity

1. LondonGirl profile image93
    LondonGirlposted 7 years ago

Some people seem to take the fan button a bit toooooo seriously - I've noticed a couple of times today, people becoming "fans" of hubbers who have precisely no hubs!

2. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Why this bothers you?

1. LondonGirl profile image93
      LondonGirlposted 7 years ago in reply to this

more amuses than bothers.

3. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

LondonGirl, don't pay attention to Misha.  He uses the fan button as a tool to gain visibility. LOL

Alternately, I know both myself and Ryan Hupfer join fan clubs of new Hubbers who seem like they might actually be here to write, and not just spammers. big_smile  More on that soon enough, though.

1. 0
      terrygposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Name dropper

2. Shil1978 profile image88
      Shil1978posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I've never understood the "fan" thing.  Do folks become fans of those hubbers who write quality stuff??  Is that how it is supposed to work??  Or is there an ulterior motive to it - as you put it "to gain visibility?"

I've been on HubPages a year now and all of my Hubs are real - no spam.  I don't suppose "fans" are indicative of the quality of your hubs.  I have only 36 fans btw, never really bothered me!!!

4. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 7 years ago

can I learn to write SPAM ...wouldnt that be a job field? tongue lol , jk

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes I'm sure it can be learned. I wrote a hub on how to recognize spam-- that has to be the first step.

5. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 7 years ago

I could be a bit guilty of joining fanclubs of people with no hubs, but only to people who have signed up using my refferal trackers.....jimmy

6. 0
    Rainbow Briteposted 7 years ago

I don't really understand the whole fan thing.  I mean I use mine for the writers I really like cuz my memory is really really bad but people seem to be obsessed with how many fans they have and I just don't understand.  Sure, it's nice to have people appreciate you, and I always write a letter to anyone that joins my fan club to let them know that I appreciate the appreciation but idk it just seems that some people let the whole "fan club" thing become very narcissistic.

7. gamergirl profile image60
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

Like I said, it's different for everyone I think.

For some people it is a way to get on every hubber's profile page.

For some, joining a fan club means you really are an honest fan of the hubber.

For yet others, if you join theirs, they will join yours.

1. Shil1978 profile image88
      Shil1978posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I guess so!!

2. ProfoundPuns profile image86
      ProfoundPunsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

And for some people it's all of the above.

I would have to say I become a fan because of all of these reasons. It gets your name widespread on HubPages, and it's true that if you become someone's fan, often they become yours. But I also like the idea of fan clubs because you are notified of every new Hub that person publishes. If you like their current hubs, you're likely to enjoy their future ones, too.

People like to "collect" fans because it's basically free advertising. I discover the existence of most hubs from my fan club emails and from Hubtivity.

8. WeddingConsultant profile image80
    WeddingConsultantposted 7 years ago

One thing that makes me laugh is always seeing this fanmail:

"Fan, you've got a brand new fan!
    It's one small thing to celebrate."

haha I hope I got that right...

working