jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Tracking code/referral link problem

1. christopheranton profile image79
    christopherantonposted 4 years ago

I want to put a referral link in my hubs inviting the readers to join. I wanted to link to the sign up page. I tested the link, but if I was signed in at the time, it linked to a page that told me I was signed in as "christopheranton". It enabled me to use all the functions of HubPages, including editing or deleting hubs. If I sign out and then click the link, it brings me to the sign up page, as I want it to.
    How can I use a link that, when clicked, gives the clickee the power of deleting my hubs?
    Is there a way round this? Am I doing something wrong? I am signed in all the time I'm online. This means I can not use that tracking link.
    Any advice would be appreciated, as I am anxious to get started on referring new members.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Try clicking someone else's link to that page.  You'll find that it produces the exact thing that clicking your own does - you can edit yours, but not theirs.

Somehow HP detects the sign in status (and who you are) and directs you appropriately.  Thus, someone not signed in will be sent to the sign in page, while some that is already signed in will be sent to their own personal page.

So, don't worry about it - it all works properly and you cannot give anyone the ability to edit or delete your hubs without giving them your name and password.  A link to the sign in page doesn't accomplish that.

2. christopheranton profile image79
    christopherantonposted 4 years ago

Thanks for that reply. It puts my mind at ease about the matter. I can go ahead now with promoting this great writing site.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep - write your hear out!

working