jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Advice for New hubbers

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image81
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

Although I understand the concept behind the moderator's reviews that sometimes disables advertising due to what many (including me) think is nonsense, we either accept their decisions (as mistaken as we may think they are) or go somewhere else.

Personally I have not found any other site that is as complete as HP, therefore I have decided to grin and bear it. For those of you just starting  out be very mindful of what words you use on your hubs. Words such  SEX or any of its synonyms, cursing in any form, the word SEXY, SENSUAL, NUDE or any of its synonyms as well as certain topics will definitively trigger a response from "some" moderators.

It does not matter how interesting, informational, well written, though provoking, educational, amazing so on and so forth the article/hub is,  the ads will be disabled or worse, the hub unpublished.

We may not agree with a moderator's "judgement" but will abide nevertheless.  However, lets not direct all of the blame at the "moderating" team, after all Google is the one that makes the rules and all of us peasants must obey.

Kind of brings to mind the Golden Rule................hmm

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Hey LuisEGonzalez! As a non-moderator, I'd like to speak up on the moderators' behalf. smile

They're not moderating these Hubs because of personal prejudice; they're moderating these Hubs to keep our site in line with Google AdSense. Google AdSense has somewhat conservative rules re: sexual content because advertisers are skittish around those subjects.

So in the end, we have to moderate Hubs and/or turn off ads because we want Hubbers to be able to earn from their Hubs (and AdSense plays a big role on that front).

Hope that provides some helpful background!

LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you Simone. I don't blame the moderating team, in fact I am grateful that at least they are trying to keep HP and the rest of us in Google's good side. With that said ,sometimes it's frustrating. Sorry if it came out the wrong way.

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image81

Simone, this is what is so frustrating. The last hub is simply talking about a photo project. Because of the word sensuality appears on it as well as on the tittle, does not seem like enough cause to ban ads. The photos are in no way offensive. This is similar to my other hub dealing with Photographing the Nude. There are no images that show full nudity much less any sensitive body parts in either hub. Google places ads on their sites like Blogger. Then why is the HP moderating team so sensitive?
      I can understand erring on the side of caution but perhaps this should be looked at further.
      If you wish take a look at the hub and give me your opinion as to why it makes sense for the ads to be disabled. I trust your judgment as I have seen you be fair and do value your opinion. The hub in question is Sensuality in the Rain (no links lest they think I am self promoting).

3. 0
    Bronwyn J Hansenposted 3 years ago

What the hey! I will put in my two cents worth smile

One area that is basically always hit is the transgender issues topic. I was told that ads are turned off on Hubs relating to transgender material regardless of the fact that a Hub does not mention sex, but rather the experiences of those transitioning from male to female or vice versa.

So, I removed my Hubs on those issues (I am transgender myself), and set up a blog. Guess what! I not only have AdSense on the same articles HP told me the big G would not allow them on, but I also have regular income from those AdSense ads.

Therefore the question is who is really deciding what is moderated as far as advertising on HP goes.

And this (I not only have AdSense on the same articles HP told me the big G would not allow them on, but I also have regular income from those AdSense ads.) brings up a great point for further discussion.

1. 0
        Bronwyn J Hansenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

4. Paul Maplesden profile image91
    Paul Maplesdenposted 3 years ago

Hi there. I recently came up against some automatic moderation on some hubs that I wrote about nude/life modelling, due to the filters seeing words like 'Nude'. The hubs themselves are written in a sensitive and approachable way and discuss the subject objectively. In addtion, none of my hubs contain nude or other problematic images.

I carefully checked the TOS of both HP and AdSense and found that I was not in breach of either. I then wrote an explanatory email to Hub Pages, explaining my hubs and the steps I had taken. They then reviewed the hubs and enabled advertising on them.

As long as you carefully read the TOS, structure and write your hubs accordingly and politely / thoroughly explain why you believe ads should be enabled, a member of the hub team would reviuew your content and may decide to enable ads on your hub.

1. JanMaklak profile image84
      JanMaklakposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Still If the moderation team read the TOS themselves and applied it correctly you would not have wasted precious time doing it for them.

5. christinebbr profile image79
    christinebbrposted 3 years ago

This will be well noted. Thanks

6. Tony Baisi profile image61
    Tony Baisiposted 3 years ago

That's kind of subjective, providing that the post below says: "satanic" what's worse? "satan" or "nude?"