jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (8 posts)

Are the stats counters "off"?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image92
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago

I started tracking my page views this month, and some days, like today, my counts reduce rather than remain the same or move forward.  I understand this happens when I delete hubs, but this is happening even when I don't...and also, my numbers aren't adding up.  I just deleted some hubs and my own chart shows an overall loss of 717, but for the niche group where hubs were deleted, I show a 751 loss and for another group I show a -143!  I think the team needs to check their counters because this is not the first time something like this has happened and it should never happen as I take my numbers directly off the stats page each morning.  Anybody else?

1. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

@TIMETRAVELER2
      We are unaware of any site issues that would affect stats.
      If you can you provide some details (hubs, time periods, screenshots), we can do further research on our end.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years ago in reply to this

On January 19 my total views were 35971.  On the 20th, they were 35254 with a total loss of  717 due to the fact that I deleted several hubs.  However, also on the 20th, I showed a loss of 751 hubs from one of my niches!  How could my niche loss be more than my total loss for the same day?  Furthermore, on that same date, another niche showed a loss of 143 views...in other words, 143 fewer views than the day before.  I did not delete hubs from this niche group!

I have seen this a few times lately, where my count is lower one day than it was the day before, and this makes no sense to me whatsoever. 

Check those dates and see what you think.  These numbers are definitely incorrect...unless I've missed something!  Thanks.

So, in your observation, your total views for your Hubs has declined, but, as you mentioned, total views are for published Hubs.

Are you seeing the total views drop on a day that you did not unpublish any Hub content?

I can't answer that question specifically, but I do recall there have been a few times when my totals and also some of my niche areas went backwards in count.  On the day I used as an example, that -143 made no sense whatsoever because I did not remove hubs from that niche on that day.

I would suggest running the report and exporting to CSV.
              Then allow a day (or longer) where you do not unpublish/delete/add a Hub.
              Then save a new report as a CSV.  You should then be able to compare the results.

I don't know what CSV stands for, but I can certainly cease working with hubs for a few days to see what happens to the numbers.  The problem is that there is no way to go back on your side to compare, because the numbers constantly change.  I get my numbers each morning at approximately the same time of day and note them on a chart.  As I said before, there have been several times when I noticed the totals as well as some of the niche areas noting reduced numbers for no reason.  I can't pinpoint them now except for the one I sent to you, but I know it's been happening and that this is a recent phenomenon.

A CSV is a comma delimited text file (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values).

You can export the stats from your account in that format, so you then have them to compare offline later.

Closed to reply

working