Please help this technologically challenged gal

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (20 posts)
  1. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 11 years ago

I have been reading where others have asked much the same question; Since I have been on hubpages my hubber score has risen and fell mostly due to activity...Have these standards changed? My score has always fell when I am busy with life, but when I am writing and reading hubs, leaving and receiving comments, and being VERY active in the hub forum community, my score rises. Well mine fell after one day of constant activity and has stayed in the same spot for days, maybe even a couple of weeks....I have watched others rise and fall, mine never moves...I am also not receiving notifications as others reply to discussions in the forums, I do receive some, but not all...Can anyone help?

1. JRScarbrough profile image75
      JRScarbroughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don’t know Tammy. Mine goes up and down and I rarely even visit. I think of a Hub and start it and then finish it and leave and that is pretty much all I do. I notice the more Hubs I write the higher the scores get. My personal score makes no sense to me. I think it is a way to encourage us to do random things in hopes that it will rise. I don’t it means anything or that you can do anything to make it better.

2. JRScarbrough profile image75
      JRScarbroughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

See? You are way more active than me and I am 2 points above you right now. That could change over night. Maybe it has something to do with how fast you create new hubs or something? I am pretty quick and can add 4 in one day and then go a week and do nothing here. I have reached 92 after a stint of adding pages.

The pages themselves fluctuate in score too. One day they will be 84 and then the next be 80. I’ve read a lot about it but none of it seems very accurate.

tammybarnetteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

JR, Thank you so much for the advice. I did not even know you had left these comments because my notifications aren't working either. I have to go through my activity in order to check for comments which really slows a conversation,lol...I was hoping that this forum would help attract a moderator to look into the problem, but I will live smile

2. tammybarnette profile image60

JR, See something is up, I guess the rules or way of measuring has changed, I had finally inched up one spot after weeks of constant activity, yesterday I was on all day because my little one had a play date and now I have dropped even further..Oh well, C'est la Vie

2. seanorjohn profile image70
    seanorjohnposted 11 years ago

Hi Tammy, I am no expert but I do know that so long as you have a Hubscore of 75 + everything is good. So, a Hubscore of 87 will not get you any less visitors from google. Every six months Hubpages staff review everyone's commentator level. I am a fairly low average Level 3.No  one knows for sure if there is a connection between the two. This Hubscore is a mystery. I have seen Hubpages staff with a lower score than yours. And they are paid employees of Hubpages. So, nothing to worry about. Hope this helps.

Regards Sean

Thank you so much for your help Sean smile

3. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

Don't worry about your score. It is out of your control. Keep writing and being active   Write good content with at least 500 words. Now they're saying 800 is better. Read the info in learning center and throw the score into the wind. The scoring is not done by a person but by a filter, so don't concern yourself with it. Good luck.

Thank you Brakel2, I am not one to usually worry about the score, I just have never had this issue and wondered if maybe the rules had changed or if I was doing anything wrong...I met another with a 1, I had never seen that, then yesterday I met another hubber who had been here for maybe a week with a 99...So, I was wondering if we may be having technical difficulties, lol...Thanks for the advice I will check my word counts smile

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They might be having technical problems... I have been relatively inactive lately, and suddenly have 100, which I haven't seen in awhile.
        Yes, there seems to be a random element in there, but I always say ' If we knew exactly how to raise it, everyone would have a high score'.

Thank you so much, I have never had a 100 but use to stay in the 90's, maybe they are making updates to the system...

4. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 11 years ago

A part of hubber score is random; it is designed to fluctuate without reason.  With that in mind it doesn't make sense to pay much attention to it.

Thanks wilderness, I wondered if the powers that be were after me ,lol.. lol

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

Tammy.....If any of my good Hubber-friends, see that I am responding to this question in terms of being Technologically challenged....once they stop laughing hysterically....they will advise you to ignore any advice I may offer.  I am a well-known, "Technological Dwarf"
    However, even technologically-challenged individuals may have something worthwhile to say.  As for your Hubber score.....the general consensus of opinion amongst .many of the older Vets around here is, "Do not fret and especially don't obsess over this number"   
    No one seems to know precisely what this numbers reflects and/or the answer to it's fluctuating nature.  I can confidently suggest that it has little to do with your technological abilities......as previously confessed.
    My advice? Relax.   Write quality hubs, follow the rules, visit the learning center as often as possible and get to know our community of talented writers.  The best way to do the latter is to read their hubs, comment and try to acknowledge the comments they leave you.  There are always contests and "classes" of some sort to participate in, if this is something that interests you......Good luck...Paula

Paula, Thank you so much for your advice. I am very active in reading and commenting and forums, but I should write more, I have only written about 20, I di always appreciate anyone who reads and comments and reply to their comments. I haven't entered any contests or looked into any classes however, so I will check that out smile Again, thank you so much.

6. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 11 years ago

OH,....in the interest of transparency......I've not ever taken any classes or entered contests that are offered....but I have "time" issues and what time I have, I like to focus on reading, writing and cruising the streets, getting to know more writers.

7. HoneyBB profile image91
    HoneyBBposted 11 years ago

Hahahaha, hang on a minute...I can't stop laughing!  Effer answered this!  Oh No!!! ..............  Just kidding/Advice doesn't get much better than hers.  She's brilliant. You can't go wrong with fpher.

Thank you smile

8. michellebell1972 profile image68
    michellebell1972posted 11 years ago

from what I can tell as long as you write decent hubs and comment on other peoples hubs staying active as a hubber helps, one thing I have noticed that I believe has helped my hubscore is using the hub hopper.  It seems to help.  Good luck to you and it's just a number, don't let it get to you.

michellebell, Thanks so much:) I have been extremely active for a couple of weeks, still no movement,lol..but your correct, just a number. I haven't tried the hub hopper, I kind of hub hop myself, but I will check that out.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)