Why isn't this Hub featured?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

This exclusive title became unfeatured recently. I changed the headings to more searchable headings and it went into pending - then to my shock it went back into unfeatured.

What exactly is wrong with this article? Is it so  bad that it cannot pass the Mturk test.

http://simeyc.hubpages.com/hub/What-is- … ware-Suite

It's getting so frustrating that I spend time wondering what the &*&^ is wrong with my unfeatured hubs rather than working on new hubs - there needs to be far more feedback is we are going to fix our 'bad' hubs like this one!!!! I also point out that I have had a visit from yahoo and bing this week.....

The only thing I can think of is that it is missing a few question marks - I will add them now but still don't expect it to become featured any time soon...

1. Millionaire Tips profile image91
      Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's not you SimeyC.

I think the main problem with the hub is the topic.  Most people by now know what office software is, and won't need to look it up. It's been around for many years.   I'm also not thrilled with the title - I don't think I would use "software" between office and suite to look up this question.  I have found that many exclusive titles are outdated and won't do very well.

To improve your hub, I would add brand names of different suites and maybe provide a comparison. Help people figure out which one to get - the Apple version, Microsoft  and maybe the free ones that are online.

You can also consider adding a short history of office suites to help the younger readers (by adding names and dates)

SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MT: I totally agree that it can be improved as you suggested. However it is still far better than the top sites on Google when searching for 'What is Office Software Suite?' and "Office Software Suite" - the latter actually 'supposedly' has decent traffic too.

I'll add some comparisons and notes about other suites - thanks for the feedback! Now if only there was a little blurb on the hub stating that as the reason it is unfeatured....

2. missolive profile image59
        missoliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great suggestions by Millionaire Tips. I like the idea of describing the different types like Microsoft's and Apple's office software. Perhaps continue that expansion and have a section on 'productivity apps' for iPads? I've used the Google keyword tool for finding new sub-titles. As you know, the sub-titles are searchable and this may give the hub the edge. Some of my sub-titles do better in the search engines than the main one. Ok by me, as long as they find it. smile

I have an exclusive that has been un-featured. I'll be editing soon and hopefully get it featured again. Housekeeping, not my favorite activity, best of luck.

I think I'm just getting frustrated with the whole process and venting - I appreciate all the tips - and yesterday actually said that this hub could be improved.

I just would like to see more feedback on why something gets unfeatured - this one had to have gone to Mturk or some other reviewer to be assessed after I made some changes yesterday....oh humbug!!!! big_smile

1. missolive profile image59
            missoliveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Totally understandable, I have to admit I would freak if I edited a hub and it didn't get featured. I like the idea of some sort of blurb on the reviewer's part. Give us something to nibble on....anything...right?
            Gotta run, time for my day job. smile

2. agvulpes profile image86
      agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

G'day SimeyC !  I am no expert but I see that you are in the 'a' program and I thought that in that program you were assigned a 'mentor' to help you with all of this?
      Having said that here is my idea on your problem!
      I can't see anything in the text side of things to get you unfeatured!
      Having looked at some of your other hubs you have an image placed first!
      Also on this hub you have an Amazon block first and no adsense showing up for me!
      I work on the theory if it ain't broke!  don't break it so you can fix it! So stick to a tried and tested format ?
      And yes I also agree that we should be given a clue to why we are unfeatured, I have a few myself smile
      I hope that this helps in some small way:)

2. AMFredenburg profile image72
    AMFredenburgposted 11 years ago

I'm new here, but my understanding is that in order for a Hub to be featured it needs a photo at the beginning of the article.

No - not quite true - HP do advice that a hub should have a picture first - but I have many hubs where it's not right for that hub - and the hub is still featured.

3. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey SimeyC- it looks to me that, as luck had it, your human and automated raters looked upon this Hub somewhat harshly- unfairly so, in my opinion. I'm bringing it up with the team later this morning to see what went wrong and what we can do to address this.

Of course, keep in mind that, even with our special tools to track and correct for human raters' harshness, and even with all of our automated checkes, and even with our higher threshold for pushing Featured Hubs out of a Featured state for quality reasons, there will be inaccurate moves like this one. There's no way that we can be 100% accurate with ratings as complicated as these.

That said, we can always do better, and we shall strive to do so!

Simone - thanks! I did agree that it can be improved - and I have added a comparison chart and changed some of the titles - I think my biggest frustration is not understanding why something became unfeatured - I have no problem with hubs being made unfeatured -  I just want more feedback!!!

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So how many other unfair (your word!) ratings have caused hubs to be censored from the search engines?

Does this mean everyone with an idled hub has to throw a tantrum in several forum threads to get justice?

Duly noted - no more tantrums.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@SimeyC

In my opinion...

You did not do a tantrum.

You did a rant.

Rants are good! big_smile

1. profile image0
            Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Amen, I saw no tantrum, I saw a rant of frustration.  This can be a very frustrating place.

2. WriteAngled profile image74
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

SimeyC, you are at perfect liberty to throw tantrums if you wish.

The point I am making is whether we are going to have to see the forums flooded with detailed complaints and references to specific hubs by thousands of other hubbers, who have been treated equally unfairly, when they see you are being given redress and they are not.

This is not your problem of course, but the problem of those responsible for an idiotic and, as has just been confirmed by a staff member, UNFAIR system that is stopping many people from investing further time and effort on this site.

4. Daniel5 profile image69
    Daniel5posted 11 years ago

SimeyC, that is just one of the many reasons why I have stopped writing hubs here. Why give hubpages a percentage of adsense money when I can create my own blog and it's all 100%? That's why I don't understand why people that make a living or part time income on here continue to write here. The money to make while blogging is much more in my opinion.

I stopped writing for hubpages about a year ago and my blogs are doing very well.

(P.S) I haven't seen a single hubpages article in any of my searches in 2012, they are not ranking well)

Daniel

1. Daniel5 profile image69
      Daniel5posted 11 years agoin reply to this

There isn't any money to make here, just a couple elite authors taking the cash for themselves.

If it sounds like I am mad, well I kinda am. I wasted plenty of hours writing here for it to amount to mainly nothing. And that was when hubpages was still ranking good in Google.

And think about it. What better way to build up a reputation by writing for your own blog? If you put on your resume that you write on hubpages, and they see that their are thousands trying to achieve that false dream, it isn't going to matter to them.

But by creating your blog, you gather much more experience, sure it might be a harder way but you get so much more out of it than just writing in plain text on hub pages all the time.

Daniel,

My biggest problem is that I simply don't have the time to create articles and then do all the necessary SEO and marketing to promote them properly - while I know that a blog or website would be far more lucrative for me if I could spend a lot more time on it, with the limited time I have Hubpages is good enough for me.

However, I think it is the next logical step for most hubbers - I;ve learned a lot (and still am learning) on Hubpages and once I get more time I will branch out and work on a dedicated website....

5. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey again SimeyC- just as an update, I've submitted the Hub for further review by our Gold Panel, which sets the standards for ratings, but keep in mind that if you ever think a Hub has lost its Featured status (for quality reasons- i.e. right after being edited) unfairly, the fastest recourse is to edit it, as that re-submits the Hub for more reviews via the QAP. smile

Simone - that's what started the rant - I amended some of the headings (and left three question marks out) - the hub went into idle status and then became unfeatured again.

6. jellygator profile image89
    jellygatorposted 11 years ago

There were a couple things that were... ahem... off-putting for me. "What is Office Software Suite" sounds stilted and doesn't ring a bell with me. I think of "Microsoft Office" or "an" office software suite, but as it's worded doesn't register with my brain at all.

The other thing is that your subtopics were so elementary and dated that I imagine you're competing with MANY other, older pages that would have a ton of advantage for having been established so many years before HP was a twinkle in anyone's mind. I really can't imagine an adult who doesn't know what those things are to at least some degree. You might do better with tweaking your subtitles to something along the lines of "What a Database Can Do for You" or "How to Evaluate Database Software" and adjust your text accordingly.

Suprisingly "What is office software suite" or "office software suite' have a lot of searches according to Adwords. I agree that perhaps I could change the sub-headings - however - maybe what would be better is to leave the sub-headings as-is and then add an extra sub-sub-heading as you indicated - with an answer - at the bottom of the section.

I didn't really want to go fully blown into this though - as the page would really be way too long - hence the simplicity of the sections - perhaps an even better idea is to take each of the sub-headings - and have a link to a new hub - so for example I'd have a new hub title "What a Database Can Do for You".....

7. leahlefler profile image95
    leahleflerposted 11 years ago

SimeyC, I am having the same problem with a few of my hubs. They are well written with original photographs, etc., but have become unfeatured for no particular reason.

One is about Activities on the American Side of Niagara Falls - it is a decent hub and was written when I was in the Apprenticeship Program.

It is beyond frustrating.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I have deleted over half my pages in the last few months - well over 100.  Some of them were awful, some less so.  Those that I couldn't bring up to the standard - I got rid.

Standard means searchable content I guess.  It doesn't mean anything else - in my opinion.  I mean - adding a poll or a table of contents to what is supposed to be a bit of wit... well you fill in the answer.

Anyway.  My latest to get the idle was written just before Xmas.  This Xmas just passed.  It's a Xmas page.  Obviously it isn't going to do anything now until next Xmas.  What to do?

I am not against tweaking and improving content but there is a sensible limit.  OK, my Xmas page isn't wanted.  Given that I put some effort into it I think I'll move it to a blog.  You never know.  Someone might like it one day.

On balance I support the idle. It has helped me refocus on pages that might have a chance - rather than just a mass of variable content.  It's tough though.

edit:  My idle page has 964 words, 12 unique hand drawn pictures and a comment from Paul E!  The mystery of the curse of idle.

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

New avatar!  Yay!

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey!

I am trying to make a serious point.

1. profile image0

Oh, shit.  Sorry.

Well said, good man.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
            Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I have to do that "only joking" thing.

1. profile image0

Don't do that.  If you weren't joking, that is.  Your original point was intelligent and well stated.  big_smile

I know you were only joking in response to me.  If someone else doesn't, that's on them.

9. lenboogie03 profile image57
    lenboogie03posted 11 years ago

wow

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)