jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

2012 1099-K from PayPal

1. Stove And Home profile image93
    Stove And Homeposted 4 years ago

I saw a notice last night that HubPages will not be sending out 1099-Misc forms. The new rule is that PayPal will be sending out a 1099-K to Hubbers instead.

But I read somewhere online that the 1099-K is only sent out to people who make at least $20,000  or more than 200 transactions through PayPal . But is 20,000 minimum for people who just sell merchandise on sites like EBay and Etsy?

What about when it comes to writers? What will PayPal's minimum be for sending a 1099-K to Hubbers?

I'm not sure if anyone really knows the answer to this yet?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This was actually a rule from last year - eBay sent out 1099s and then sent out a letter stating that they shouldn't have.

I did not get a 1099-K from paypal last year - and the limit was I belive 20,000 - however I did report my income from eBay even though I didn't have a 1099. If Hubpages aren't sending out 1099s then I'll simply look at my earnings report on here and record that on my taxes.

BTW where did you see this notice?

1. paradigmsearch profile image90
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It showed up for about 10 minutes on the stats page last night and then HP took it down.

1. Stove And Home profile image93
          Stove And Homeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It was a stealthy move, like from some third dimension -- then it disappeared. I was questioning if it actually even happened LOL.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

And my seeing it caused me to post this thread... http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/108778

3. alexadry profile image92
    alexadryposted 4 years ago

I was wondering how things work this year. I did read that hubpages won't send the 1099 as usual this year and that Paypal will, but then Paypal claims it sends 1099's only to those who have made more than 20,000. So to report my earnings do I simply enter a query to show my earnings from Jan 1 2012 to Dec 31, 2012  and then report that?  Is that correct? Or is the Jan payment actually from the month prior, so it would be more correct to report Feb 1 2012 to Jan 2013?

1. galleryofgrace profile image82
      galleryofgraceposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Payments are reported in the month they are received. It doesn't matter when you did the work.
      Most 1099's are not required unless you made at least $600.  In paypal you can create a list of all payments received.

working