HubPages Suggestion regarding proper "Forum" and "Question" use.

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Has anyone else noticed a serious drop in quality among the Question portion of HubPages? For the past several weeks, nearly every question that is featured in the "my account" section has been ripe with misspellings and just contain a general lack of worth in my opinion.

I feel the reason for this is that many hubbers are unfamiliar with the Forum section of HubPages and are even perhaps intimidated by the forums. I would like to use this thread to brainstorm ways to increase user awareness of the forums and develop a better standard for what should be permitted as a question.

The name "Question" may be a bit misleading because new and unfamiliar hubbers quite understandably mistake it as a outlet to post any and every question that ever pours from their brain. Just as a reminder, Question postings are intended to be a place to bounce concrete ideas off other hubbers and ultimately spark Hub creation.

Thoughts? Comments?

1. NotPC profile image58
      NotPCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For starters, I think the forums are the least interactive place to participate on HubPages and this creates a lack of enthusiasm to participate here. Maybe we could design a more user friendly and enjoyable forum experience, especially for writers who are relatively new to the internet and and modern computer technology.

1. Simone Smith profile image87
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We're following most of the basic forum conventions, aren't we? Are we missing something in particular?

1. NotPC profile image58

That's exactly what I'm saying. Maybe there should be more to the forums on HubPages so more authors are motivated to participate. I think the type of people attracted to HubPages are looking for more than a forum. Otherwise they would have just joined a forum...

As far as forums go though, yes this is one of the most aesthetic forum layouts I've ever seen.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
          Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I notice a big difference between the forums here and almost every other forum I frequent.    I assume it's because you're using an unusual forum package.   I wonder if the format is a disincentive for some people, because it's easier to plunge into a forum if you can find your way around easily.

However I think the biggest issue with the forums is the religious and political forums.   I've lost count of the number of Hubbers who won't visit the forums because they've been scared off by the viciousness of those two topics.   Many times, I've had to spend time helping out Hubbers with problems they could've resolved easily with a simple forum question - but they didn't, because they were too scared to venture into the forums.

I know that to us, it seems fairly obvious that you can ignore all the nastiness and just visit the threads you're interested in - but it doesn't seem to work like that.  People arrive at the forums, read a few of the "latest posts", and head for the hills (because most of the Latest Posts are fundamentalists and atheists, or lefties and right-wingers, slinging insults at each other). 

When I joined HubPages, I didn't have that problem because the forums were split into sections - so when you arrived at the front page, you could look at only the latest posts in the section you wanted.  I think it would be a great idea if the "latest posts" page could be split into two sections - "HubPages" (which would include Official and Community) and "Topics".

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The quality of the question section plummeted more than a year ago.  How did you not notice until now?

1. NotPC profile image58

I just always expected it to improve, but as of late I'm getting really frustrated when I see a question promoted on my private "my account" section with such glaring mistakes. I suppose I never gave it much attention because I thought that was normal for the Questions and I just tried to avoid it. The people who misspell simple words and ask questions just to be outrageous are punishing us all.

3. Gail Meyers profile image63
      Gail Meyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's interesting.  I have been here about 18 months, been active in the forums, often read the newsletter and had no idea the question section was to spark hub ideas.  That does not even make sense.  I have only asked a couple of questions since I have been here, but rarely get a useful response.  It generally just hangs there like it is invisible to anyone else.

2. NotPC profile image58
    NotPCposted 11 years ago

Am I really the only one who thinks the quality of HubPages questions is pathetic? This is the current "promoted question":

"Seriously, now...why does the word monosyllabic have 5 syllables? And while we are at it, why is abbreviation such a long word? What is the abbreviation for abbreviation... Just a little chuckle....maybe..."

This question is written by a hubber with an author score of 99! I just don't find how that is useful to anyone. It sounds like a question I would expect to hear from a first grade student. Is this what HubPages has become?

But seriously though.... why DOES monosyllabic have five syllables? Ridonculous.

3. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

We have regularly struggled with demonstrating to Hubbers that the Questions section is for succinct, Hub-title-like questions, continuously reminding people of the fact only goes so far.

We've done our best to make the purpose of Questions clear in our site messaging, though as you can see, that hasn't gone so far- if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears!

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Given that is the case, why does HubPages persevere with the Questions section at all? 

It has long since lost its value as an "ideas bank", and I can't see how all that short, low quality content is doing the site any good.

Getting rid of the Questions section would force people to use the forums to ask questions which would be a far more sensible idea.

I often sit, in the deepest reaches of my Batcave, and ask that question myself. If we keep it, it'll need a lot of work. If we don't, that'll also require a lot of work. Right now, we have our hands full doing everything we can to boost your traffic.

So we'll get to this- eventually! In the meantime, perhaps I can improve the messaging. Again, any suggestions on that front are most welcome. big_smile

As Relache said in her post, "The quality of the question section plummeted more than a year ago."

If low quality pages can hurt HubPages, and you're making such a sterling effort to remove low quality Hubs, could you be missing something in the Questions area? 

When Questions were transferred to our sub-domains, I deleted most of mine because they didn't have many answers, which meant they didn't have much content - which means Google would view them as low quality, which could drag my whole sub-domain down.  I wonder how many other Questions are like that, and could be hurting HubPages far more than poorly trafficked Hubs.

1. NotPC profile image58

I totally agree! I'm not really sure how much they hurt HubPages, but if they do, it should be addressed. With the new "featured" pages, I have a feeling that unhelpful questions may not affect seo too much. Anyone with SEO experience know about this?

The "Featured" process doesn't mean the rest of the site is invisible to Google and only Featured pages are put forward.  It means that idled Hubs have the "no index" tag attached - the rest of the site is all accessible to Google, including Questions (as far as I'm aware).

2. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

@ Mariisa  The questions make money from Adsense, so I doubt staff would want to do away with it. I tried to set up a filter on Adsense to see how much I actually made. i don't think it is working. I,m sure it is not very much.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
        Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I really like the name "ideas bank".  Instead of calling it questions, maybe we can call it Ideas Bank, or something else.  I think the title "questions" is simply misleading Hubbers.

4. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

The questions in my feed have been for the most part good questions. Some of the questions on my stats page have poor quality. I have noticed that some new hubbers may not understand the question/answer procedure. I know that questions about HubPages often appear when they are supposed to be in the forum. Maybe people do not know  the questions are on the web for all to see. Is there a way that staff could make special announcements when there are problems in certain areas, like the questions? With so many hubbers, sometimes misunderstandings arise. Some hubbers may have difficulty retaining information from the learning center. The site has senior hubbers, new hubbers, and others with poor memory who are not new and not seniors. Just a suggestion to help with this issue. Thanks.

I am SO glad to hear that, brakel2! Sorry about the stats one- yeah... those can be pretty hit or miss.

We do give occasional announcements, and also notify people of misuse of Questions (that is, misuse that is PARTICULARLY horrendous) via email. But... it's sort of like... in the words of some nuns, "keep[ing] a wave upon the sand."

I wish we could FORCE people to read our messaging on what Questions are for... Hmm... perhaps some full-volume audio blast tied to the "ask a question" button would help?

1. NotPC profile image58

Why not have a tutorial period when people first sign up? Like have a checklist where you have to write a question, comment in the forums type thing before you can become a full fledged hubber.

2. brakel2 profile image73
        brakel2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Can reminder notices be put on the statistics page where everybody can see them? That would help if it is possible. Thank you Simone for your help on this issue?

5. LauraD093 profile image71
    LauraD093posted 10 years ago

I have had the same problem as the poster above. I generally will ask techno-questions I can't find in the tutorials or FAQ. I have seen some truly weird questions have multiple answers while my question just sits there like a red-headed step-child lol. It has never been my perception that the question section was a place to spark ideas. I also occasionally participate in the  forums but my topics don't go over well here either *shrug* I don't lose any sleep over it. Even in the 12+ months I have been here I have noticed a steady decline of rational adult discussion taking place. When I need a dose of drama I usually pop in and take a look.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Laura,
      Such questions should be asked in the forums under the appropriate heading like "Technical Problems on HubPages".  Read the other thread  What is the difference between Forums and Answers/Questions?. You will see from Simone and Mathew's replies that the Answer/Question feature is intended for non HP issues of interest to the general public and to inspire us to write interesting new Hubs. It is not intended for techno HP questions. wink

6. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

There is another thread on this:

What is the difference between Forums and Answers/Questions?

where both Simone and Mathew from HP staff have responded.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)