jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Constructive Criticism On My First Two Hubs

1. 0
    sccansecoposted 3 years ago

I have posted my first two Hubs, and I would like some suggestions from fellow Hubbers with more experience to share with me some tips on making one of my Hubs, or both, a little bit better. I am especially keen to hear advice on formatting techniques. I have spent a great deal of time reading the information provided by the learning center, and I am fairly happy with what I have produced, but I want to make sure that I am doing my very best before I proceed further. Thank-you so much for your time!

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In "Classical Music & Pop Culture: A Noteworthy Alliance" you have way too many embedded links.  It is distracting. You also need to break your text into more paragraphs...(with a line of white space in between) Right now they are just two big paragraphs running beside a side bar filled completely filled with videos and pictures.  A little bit of white space makes it easier to read. 

Grammar wise you've got some run-on sentences in there... and some sentences that aren't technically run-ons but are a bit on the long side.

Good material though.  Nice effort for a first hub smile

1. 0
        sccansecoposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank-you so much for taking the time to be another pair of eyes for me in order to help me see the weak areas that need attention in my Hub. I absolutely agree with you, and I will be working to rectify the situation on all counts. Also, thanks for the supportive comments as well. I really do appreciate it! smile

2. chasmac profile image99
      chasmacposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Melissa - far too many links and some of them are not relevant. For example, you mention Elton John, which is fine and relevant, but you also provide a link to eltonjohn.com,  which has nothing to do with your topic. To keep it relevant, you would need to link to a page on eltonjohn.com that deals with that particular sub-topic (The Croatian Sensation) if such a page even exists.

Links that are seen as not relevant can result in HubPages unpublishing your hub due to it being over-promotional.

1. 0

Thank-you so much for taking the time to read my Hub, and for expanding on Melissa's comment regarding too many links. It has really helped me gain a better understanding of how to appropriately use links in a Hub. I certainly do not want to come across as being over-promotional, and I will be much more mindful of this in the future. Many thanks! smile

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Hey sccanseco!

On the auditing Hubs front, I like to recommend using our Stellar Hub guide as a checklist: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Elem … tellar-Hub

If any of your Hubs are missing one of our elements of a Stellar Hub, they can definitely benefit from gaining them! big_smile

1. 0

Thank-you Simone for pointing me in the right direction! I will most definitely be using the Stellar Hub guide as a checklist, now and in the future, for all of my Hubs. Many thanks for stopping by and taking the time to help me out! smile