jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Problem filing a DMCA

1. Melovy profile image96
    Melovyposted 3 years ago

I'm trying to file a DMCA, but the WHOIS record is not like any I've seen before. It isn't showing up any email address that I can send it to.

Has anyone had this experience and how did you get round it? There is no way to leave comments on the blog post with my copied content, but there is an email address in it. Anyone know if it's okay to use that email?

This is the WHOIS entry in case I'm missing anything.  http://whois.domaintools.com/createapartybag.co.uk

2. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

On the site itself, you will find:

To get in touch, please use one of the following options:

Email; . info@createapartybag.co.uk

Mobile Phone or Text; 07974 141 339 or 07909 422 733 If you text we will call you back.

Company Address; 3 Lea Court, Orchard End Avenue, Amersham, Bucks HP7 9LS

South East Office: The Crest, Beach Road, Eccles on Sea, Norwich NR12 0SL

You could also send snail mail to the two company addresses.

Melovyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Write Angled. I haven't had to do many DMCAs so wasn't sure of the protocol. I did see the email address but wasn't sure if that was the right one or if I had to find the hosting company. Thanks again.

3. WriteAngled profile image92
    WriteAngledposted 3 years ago

If you look right at the very bottom of the pages on that site, in the turquoise border, there is some not very legible text.

It says "powered by Google Sites"

If you want to report them directly to Google, the link is:
    http://support.google.com/bin/static.py … page=ts.cs

You have to expand the list of options by selecting "see more products" to find Google Sites.

Oh, thanks very much for that - I missed it. Now I know where to go if she doesn't respond to my email.
      That's very helpful of you!

4. Simone Smith profile image90
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Thanks for helping Melovy out, WriteAngled!

I'll update our LC entry on filing DMCAs to make that option more clear. big_smile

1. mary615 profile image94
      mary615posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I am in the process of filing DMCAs for a Blogger who stole 3 of my Hubs (that I know of, could be more).  He included my family photos on my Hub about my daughter winning 18 college scholarships.  Do I need to file a separate complaint about the photos?
      This is SO time consuming!  Also, I'm afraid HP will see his Blogs and interpret his as a duplicate on mine.  Could that happen, Simone??

5. Marketing Merit profile image82
    Marketing Meritposted 3 years ago

As far as I am aware, living in the UK, DMCA does not apply to sites hosted here.

However, even though it is a .co.uk site, this one appears to be hosted in the US with Register....just scroll down towards the bottom of the WHOIS page to see the domain name servers.

The link you need for this is:

Again, as far as I am aware, DMCA notices should be filed to the hosting company.

I personally wouldn't waste my breath contacting someone who has stolen your work in the first place, but that is up to you Melovy.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
      psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Most UK companies comply with a DMCA notice because there are similar laws in the UK and they have no desire to use material illegally.

6. Melovy profile image96
    Melovyposted 3 years ago

Thanks Marketing Merit. This person had only copied a part of the hub, so may not realise what she'd done was illegal. I have emailed her and if I don't get a reply by tomorrow I will file a DMCA.
    I've just found 2 more copied hubs - both on the same Blogger blog, so probably by the same person who had copied others. It is probably a large part of why I've had traffic problems.

1. moonlake profile image88
      moonlakeposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You may be right about traffic. I filed a report against homedecor1231.blogspot.com. He had one of my hubs on his blog. When google took it down I started getting traffic on that hub.

Moonlake, I've been checking hubs and filing DMCAs all day! I think I've done 4 so far. So fingers crossed I get my traffic back soon, just like you did.