jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Love the new Hub Tool, especially the 'Goals' section

1. Paul Maplesden profile image89
    Paul Maplesdenposted 3 years ago

Hi all,

Just wanted to say thanks to the HP developers and staff for their work on the new Hub tool and supporting documentation - It's excellent.

In addition to general improvements to the editing UI (commands on hover - very nice and will hopefully mean I don't keep mis-clicking on capsules!) the thing I like most is the 'Goals' section on the right.

I've been reading that longer, relevant, engaging content is better for traffic and for Google and this goals section will really help hub authors focus on that. In fact, even before this came along, I was going through all of my hubs, adding relevant images and increasing word count with relevant information. There's more on the goals stuff here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Need-Some-Goals

I also like the small UI tweaks like being able to assign a group to a hub in the editing interface and the summary at the top. Putting a pink background on empty hubs is great too - If you use a lot of capsules like me, it can be difficult to see at a glance exactly what needs to be filled in, so that was a nice tweak.

So a great step in the right direction - Providing instant feedback to authors on how to improve the quality of their hubs will enhance the relevance and quality of HP as a whole and ultimately the number of views, and hence revenue that we all earn.

Sounds like a win-win to me.

*Edit - I've just learned that not all of the features have rolled out to everyone eyt and they are beta-testing aspects, so if you don't see it yet, don't worry, it's coming soon.*

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

I'm so glad you like the update, Paul Maplesden!! I'm pretty excited about it too, and mad props to Derek Gulbranson who designed the update (while doing a LOT of research and getting Hubber feedback long the way), as well as Edward Zhang, who helped to execute it.

Yep- that "Need Some Goals?" box is nifty, and to those of you who don't see it, don't worry! We are beta testing it now (don't want to roll it out entirely until we know it is useful and improves Hubbers' experience on the site).

3. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

sad  I "saved" a hub until yesterday to write so that I could see and use the new updated tool.  I didn't see any difference, though, and was a little disappointed.  Now I see why - I was finished before the update went into effect.  Oh well, next time.

Looking at it, though, I certainly like what I see.  The pink unfilled capsule in nice and I love the title area with the new additions there.  Well done!

4. janderson99 profile image87
    janderson99posted 3 years ago

Moving the summary to the Hub Tool is excellent!!!

Perhaps you could reduce the counter to 150 rather than 200 as both Google and Bing won't generally show any more than around 150 characters

5. mattforte profile image92
    mattforteposted 3 years ago

The new hub tool has a word count.

If nothing else, this is incredibly useful. Anybody who says it is anything but helpful is drunk.

Point: I would really like said Hub Tool on my account. The other parts are neat as well, but that piece alone has prompted me to come to this forum, and whine about it not being there.