jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

New Character Count for Summary: Does content affect Google page rank?

1. Stove And Home profile image94
    Stove And Homeposted 4 years ago

Has the new template for Hub writing greatly decreased the amount of text you can have in the Summary section -- to 140 characters or so? Or has it always been this way?

And if it has been reduced now, does that mean if I have keywords in the Summary beyond that 140 character limit (that have been automatically cut off), can my Google rankings drop because those keywords have been cut off?

Will I have to re-do my summaries now?

I hope someone from the HubPages team can address this. Thank you.

1. Reality Bytes profile image91
      Reality Bytesposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do not believe any keywords after the 140 characters has helped rank prior to the change.  I have always kept my summaries short and concise.

Stove And Homeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Good point.

2. Simone Smith profile image89
    Simone Smithposted 4 years ago

We only recently put an actual cap on the amount of characters that can be added to the summary box, because, as Reality Bytes points out, information beyond a certain limit (which varies per platform and search engine) doesn't do much good. Before that, we only provided written tips to keep summaries short... but it looks like a lot of people missed them!

It looks like I better re-do my summaries. Do you suggest they be in sentence form or more tag-oriented?

3. brakel2 profile image85
    brakel2posted 4 years ago via iphone

Do it in sentence form, starting with a sentence that will hook them to go to article. Use your keywords in a natural way as part of a sentence in summary. Look in learning center for help and at other summaries as examples. Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, everyone.

working