Great quote about medicine:

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

"Medicine is the art of entertaining the patient, as the body heals itself."  Voltaire

LOVE it! A pal of mine who's a PA shared it with me.

1. Zelkiiro profile image89
      Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm sure Voltaire would've sung a different tune if he knew about antibiotics.

"Medicine is the art of entertaining the patient, as the--wait, this stuff cures typhoid fever? Gimme dat sh!t."

2. Angela Blair profile image68
    Angela Blairposted 11 years ago

What a great quote -- and in my humble opinion it's right on target. Thanks for sharing that one!

3. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

In most cases, accurate.  We are an impatient species so we seek alternatives to speed things up.

4. Healthyannie profile image86
    Healthyannieposted 11 years ago

I am not sure Voltaire would have sung a different song. Antibiotics are great but they are over used and they lead to disease resistance as they damage our immune system by disrupting healthy bowel function and cause many other problems. I am sure Voltaire would have used antibiotics more responsibly. Our bodies have an amazing capacity of healing themselves when we are not looking.

1. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So true! Of course, antibiotics can be life saving, but they're prescribed way too much by many docs. A lot of bacteria are becoming resistant.

5. Healthyannie profile image86
    Healthyannieposted 11 years ago

And causing IBS, adding to many other health problems and wrecks the immune system which lives in the bowel. The first time I took antibiotics I was fifteen and I got really sick. My great grandma took antibiotics for the first time at the tender age of 92 and it almost killed her but she lived on until she was 107. She took it for an infected toe and stuck to honey from that day on. It wasn't until I started to study physiology I realized how truly devastating antibiotics can be. Not always but they can really cause trouble. Boys - antibiotics can raise your PSA level, and some lower your blood pressure to a very dangerous level ( girls as well on this one)

6. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

Using a qoute from Voltaire to support your view against antibiotics makes about as much sense as someone qouting Alexandar the Great to support an argument against nuclear war.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The problem with a discussion like this is that it encourages people to avoid doctors.  This can lead to many serious health problems and even death.  Don't kid yourselves people, doctors, while not perfect, really matter.  They have saved my life more than once and my husband's as well.

2. habee profile image92
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not against antibiotics. I just think some doctors over-prescribe them. My own doctor has even said that.

As for the quote, I thought it was funny - especially coming from a PA.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I understand that and smiled when I read the post but another person posted here using the Voltaire qoute trying to support her argument.
        Having read a lot of your hubs and seen pictures of all your dogs I know that if one came in with a draining abscess of the foot you would not stick honey on it. I am a great fan of alternative medicine but do not believe in throwing the baby out with the bath water.

7. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 11 years ago

The original post is obviously well intentioned and stands true a thousand times over and more with the amount of hypochondriacs this planet knows. I agree with it absolutely in that respect and don't doubt that the medical profession and taxpayers in general would save a fortune were it not for such individuals, their perceptions and obsessions.

Unfortunately, the following is at least equally true:

"Your mother/father, husband/wife, brother/sister, son/daughter would have stood a far greater chance of survival had they been granted access to modern medicines and treatments at an earlier time. I'm so sorry..." Unknown number of doctors around Planet Earth each year...

I'm not trying to be controversial, simply realistic...

8. brakel2 profile image73
    brakel2posted 11 years ago

I have done more for my health than any doctor  but I know they are important. I love the quote, as it is funny.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)