jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Requests to republish

1. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 3 years ago

I'm getting a lot of requests to republish my hubs in newsletters, websites and other forms.  None are offering to pay me, but just want to republish my articles.  What is Hubpages stand on this?  I am telling them that it needs to remain original content on Hubpages, and that they may republish the link with a "pull quote" from my articles.  Most are doing this. 

Of course financially, I don't want my articles out for free in newsletters as I want the hits on my hubs.  Does Hubpages have a position on this?  What do others do when such requests are made?  The good back links are a bonus too.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I would never agree to having an entire Hub republished anywhere.

When there are several instances of an article online, Google tries to decide which has the most "authority".  It will feature that one, and relegate the other copies to distant pages. 

The big risk, therefore, is that Google may not choose your Hub as the authority version - and that would have a huge impact on your traffic.  If another site has published the whole text, readers aren't likely to click on the link to read more, so that's no consolation.

A small excerpt with a link is fine, but not large chunks and certainly  not the whole Hub!

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

We only allow content on HubPages to be published exclusively on HubPages, however if people would like to publish your content offline, that should not hurt its online prospects!

I think your present approach sounds good- it's a nice way to get useful links to your work, indeed- and so long as the quotes are not of large portions of your Hubs, those Hubs should not be harmed. smile

3. agilitymach profile image99
    agilitymachposted 3 years ago

Good.  It sounds like I'm doing the right thing then.  As far as Google goes, I don't get much Google love, but instead get traffic from networking within the community of my "brand."  I wish Google loved me, but alas it does not.  I'm sure my keywords are weak or something.  However I'm doing OK with my expanding brand, so hopefully that will continue. smile

Thanks guys for the information.  That really helps me feel more comfortable about my stand concerning republishing.