jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

HubTool for Recipes

1. mary615 profile image92
    mary615posted 3 years ago

If you are posting a recipe for a cake plus frosting (for example), I wish there was an option  to separately list ingredients and instructions for each one.  Unless I'm missing something,  Right now I list the ingredients and instructions all together although it is for two separate recipes. 
    I just did a recipe for filled cookies and I'm afraid the way I did it is confusing for readers.  It would be for me.

1. BlossomSB profile image90
      BlossomSBposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I've found that problem, too, and solved it in the ways Simone has suggested; she has explained it very well. The only other way would be to make a separate hub for the decoration and link it to your recipe. It could be useful for linking to any other similar recipes. too.

mary615posted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is a good idea to do two separate Hubs but in this case I wouldn't want to separate the cookie from the filling!  I did take the opportunity of linking my other baking Hubs.  I might go in and edit the Hub in question and make a separate text capsule for the filling as Simone suggested.
        I'm going to your Hubs to see how you did it, BlossomSB.

2. mary615 profile image92

That is a good idea to do two separate Hubs but in this case I wouldn't want to separate the cookie from the filling!  I did take the opportunity of linking my other baking Hubs.  I might go in and edit the Hub in question and make a separate text capsule for the filling as Simone suggested.
        I'm going to your Hubs to see how you did it, BlossomSB.

2. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

The reason why we can only include recipe capsules for one entire recipe is that is all that the micro format system will accomodate- just one recipe per online page.

So you're not missing anything- this is just a limitation of the online format.

One option is indeed to list all ingredients together (I think this is best - you can just make it a complete recipe for cake and icing, for example... which is what many folks are looking for anyway). The other option is to list ingredients and instructions for supplementary recipes in additional Text Capsules (which do not apply microformat recipe tags to the contents).

Both ways work! The latter method might be good for something like that filled cookie recipe if it is confusing to see all the ingredients listed together.

Thanks Simone.  I knew there must be a good reason.  I didn't think to include an additional text capsule just for the filling.  Good suggestion.

3. teaches12345 profile image93
    teaches12345posted 3 years ago

So glad you asked this question, Mary.  I have often wondered why we can't post another capsule for filling, frosting, etc.  From Simone's answer this now makes sense.

working