jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Using photos

1. SimpleJoys profile image85
    SimpleJoysposted 3 years ago

So far, I have been limiting my photos to ones I have taken, or to those with wikimedia public domain status. Can I use others from wikimedia commons, like those that say ok to share? I don't want to be in copyright violations. Please explain in language a new person to HP especially one not so computer savvy would understand. Thank you!

2. 0
    Jane Holmesposted 3 years ago

I, too, am trying to use my own photos and those from wikimedia commons. This is a good question that I could use an answer to, also.

3. Simone Smith profile image92
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Hey there!

It's fine to use others' images so long as they have licenses that enable you to use them, and so long as you follow the stipulations in those licenses (which often involves naming the image's owner and licensee and linking back to the source).

We have detailed instructions on doing this correctly here: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

1. SimpleJoys profile image85
      SimpleJoysposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you so much. The link answered all my questions!

2. Cook n Save Money profile image90
      Cook n Save Moneyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That link is really helpful, I thank you as well!

3. 0
      Jane Holmesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Simone. I have re-read the photo usage instructions and they are helpful. Once using these a few times it does become quite simple to do. Thanks again!

4. LongTimeMother profile image96
    LongTimeMotherposted 3 years ago

I read the detailed instructions but I am still not sure what I am supposed to write to stop people using my photos. I have some great photos I would happily use in hubs but I don't want them to be randomly used in other places. I guess if I don't want other people to use them I should just keep them off the internet.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You've hit the nail on the head.  If you post a photo on the internet, you'd better expect it to get stolen - that's just the way of the world, I'm afraid.

1. 0
        Jane Holmesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Marisa is right - once its on the net its fair game for everyone out there. It something I would NEVER do but other will grab what they want. I still put my in my articles and copyright them (which we could use the copy right symbol instead if writing it out - easier and shorter). However, I won't let this stop me from using my photography.

1. LongTimeMother profile image96
          LongTimeMotherposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes, Marisa, it's a shame the world is not populated entirely with honest people but that's the sad reality.
          I particularly don't want photos of my children being used by others so the only photo I have uploaded so far is one of two of my girls with their backs are to the camera doing synchronised handstands.
          Tell me please, Jane, where do you add your copyright notice? Is it at the stage when you upload a photo directly into your hub?

5. dailytop10 profile image88
    dailytop10posted 3 years ago

I usually search for photos through Google and pick those that are not watermarked. As I see it, uploading a photo online on a public domain means sharing it to the whole world. Never upload your private photos to blogs or sites that can be reached through search engines if you don't want others to use them. If you want to share them privately, use Dropbox or other free file sharing tools.

1. chasmac profile image100
      chasmacposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I assume you don't publish those un-watermarked Google-sourced images on your hubs as that would be illegal and strictly against HP rules if they're not also specified as free to use (public domain, creative commons, etc). I thought I'd better mention it in case anyone reading thinks it's ok to copy  photos from Google Images just because they don't have a watermark.

6. ktrapp profile image91
    ktrappposted 3 years ago

Glenn Stok published a Hub about a website/tool called Tin Eye that does a reverse image search. It's as simple as entering the URL of a Hub or website to see if your photos have been used without permission.
    http://glennstok.hubpages.com/hub/Using … rch-Engine

But dailytop10, just because a non-watermarked image appears in Google results, doesn't mean it's fair game (or legal) for everyone to use. I've known of a couple cases where image copyright holders have contacted website owners who have used their images illegally.