jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (5 posts)

Is There A Better Way to unFeature / NOINDEX Hubs?

1. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 3 years ago

HubPages unFeature / NOINDEX hubs action that occurs when their software decides a hub is no longer popular enough to index in Google has caused a variety of reactions from Hubbers. Since having a NOINDEX tag can cause Google to ignore a hub for a very long time, even after the tag is removed by HubPages, are there better ways to implement this policy? How about providing Hubbers a gentle reminder and give them a week to update Hubs that are close to reaching the criteria for getting slapped with the NOINDEX tag? That way HubPages gets what it wants as far as changes made to hubs, without potentially harming hubs in the Google ranking system, as long as Hubbers take the warnings seriously and update hubs before they get slapped with the NOINDEX tag.  This seems like a fair way to implement the unFeature / NOINDEX hubs policy.

1. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Rock_nj! Just want to clarify that Hubs may also not be Featured due to quality reasons: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/Featured-Hubs

We have discussed adding warnings or reminders about Hubs losing Featured status on and off; implementing the notifications system will/would be time consuming, so we want to make sure that the system is refined and as accurate as possible (we presently have our hands full putting most of our focus on that, specifically on getting an adequate number of human ratings).

In short, I like the idea of offering warnings; we're just in the process of figuring out how best to do that while also still refining the basic system, so it is not something we will likely get to right away.

Thanks for sharing the recommendation!

Rock_njposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Simone.  I am glad you are addressing this NOINDEX / unFeature hubs issue with a warning system (can't that be automated?).  While I agree that some hubs are in dire need of improvement, I have personally seen no connection between hub quality and receiving the NOINDEX / unFeature slap.  The only constant I have noticed is that my hubs that are placed in the NOINDEX / unFeature category have no traffic at the time.  So it appears your program is picking up low traffic hubs, rather than low quality hubs.

As many have pointed out, some hubs have been refined and edited so many times that they are done, especially fictional ones that tell a story.  Another shortcomming of the NOINDEX / unFeature slap is that some hubs are seasonal and traffic drops off, while other hubs are news driven and have no traffic until their topic is in the news (my norovirus cleaning hub sees little traffic during the summer, but a lot in the winter when norovirus is in the news).

It appears that the NOINDEX / unFeature status has long lived repercussions with Google indexing, as Google does not quickly reindex pages that had the NOINDEX tag placed on them.  HubPage users should be made aware of this, since getting back in good with HubPages does not mean your hub is going to be reindexed by Google anytime soon, and may require some user action, such as telling Google to fetch your HubPages domain.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image94
          Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi, Rock -

I've started going through my accounts page and comparing the date published, date changed and 30-day traffic stats.  If I see an older hub that hasn't been massaged for a while & shows really low traffic, I try to edit & improve it.  This has greatly reduced the number of hubs getting idled (for me) - down to zero, in fact, when I do this at least once a month.

Another benefit is that I can automatically see ways to go into the hub later to improve it even further.  The hubs are well-written, but my "Hubbing" is better now than it was when I first started here.  It took a while for me to learn where to find legal photos, how to cite them, how to use (and the value of) maps, polls, quizzes, tables, etc. - all of which help boost traffic & keep the hubs from being idled.

It takes a bit of time, so on my first swipe of edits, I don't always do extensive work.  But it's been worth the effort.  Look at it this way - the work in writing the hubs is already done.  All of us are faster and better now at creating Stellar hubs.  So the small bit of extra work to keep our former efforts in good shape pays off.  My traffic has gotten better than ever (fingers crossed!), and I'm seeing the light at the end of the Learning-Curve Tunnel.

I know you may be far more experienced here than I am - just wanted to pass along this info.  The idling process was a nice nudge for me to pay attention to how older hubs are performing and keep them competitive.

Rock_njposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Marcy.  I think your last sentence summarizes what the unFeature hubs policy should be about:  to nudge Hubbers into reaccessing older or subpar hubs.  I am glad they are considering altering it to provide a warning before placing a NOINDEX tag on a hub.  This will be a good change to this policy.