jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

How beneficial is adding a summary to your hubs?

1. K Covino profile image60
    K Covinoposted 4 years ago

Hello Hubpages community! I'm a relatively new user, but I've been writing journalistic pieces for several years now. Thus far I have written (what I think are) four great articles, none of which have a summary. I found it difficult to work them into the articles as a whole, and feel the summaries I did write (but didn't post) detracted from the overall flow of pieces. I was wondering what positive results you veteran hubbers have seen from the addition of a summary. to your work, and also how it might help you (if at all) improve the traffic to your page. Thanks all!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're speaking of the box just under the title in edit mode titled "summary", right?

The text you put into that will not be seen on your hub; it is only visible when google chooses to use it when showing search results.  It doesn't need to be worked into the hubs at all.

It is, however, your first chance to hook a searcher into visiting our hub - to convince them that your work is a better choice than the other 5 million choices Google is presenting them with.  As such it is very important to write a good summary - one that accurately describes your hub, what the searcher can expect to see and one that also contains your chosen keywords and thereby (again) tells Google what the hub is about.

2. K Covino profile image60
    K Covinoposted 4 years ago

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome.

1. K Covino profile image60
        K Covinoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You were right on with this suggestion; as soon as I completed summaries for all my hubs the traffic went up dramatically. cheers!

1. ChrisNaish profile image61
          ChrisNaishposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's worth looking at the individual hubs stats also, whatever words people are using to find your hub should also be included in the summary if at all possible.

Might bring you a bit of extra traffic, the 'title tuner' might also be helpful in this respect.

working