jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Cerbral Palsy

1. john-kim profile image61
    john-kimposted 3 years ago

I, was born with cerebral palsy.  My mom notice I had something wrong with me at one years old.  I had and operation done on my legs at the age of three.  After the operation where i needed therpy, which my mom had to go through all kind of steps before the hospital gave me therpy.  The hospital refuse to give me therpy, one because my dad made too much money for them and two I don't know if I was the right color.  My dad made three dollars an hour, now how can you call that too much, when you have three babies at home and the only one working.  Followly the hospital decided to give me therpy, but my mom had to leave her three year old baby over the weekend all the time.  Every time she came to pick me up, I had buses and bite marks all over me.  I had to go for therpy for ten year, the the doctor said I was good to go.

My parents asked for help on getting the supplies I needed, which was crutches and special shoes. Well when asked for help the people told my parents they owned their own house.  So all of the supples I needed each and every month or year, my parents had to pull out of their pocket.  To me what is the use to giving to an organization, and you don't get help when needed.

My parents when look to put me on SSI.  But the answer came back that my dad made too much money.  What I do not understand is people that is better off than I myself is get SSI real quick, how can that be?  Also, how is it that other people can have anything and everything under their name, but me myself I can't?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure what you mean by right color but other than that, there are income restrictions for SSI. If you over the age of 18 your parents shouldn't have anything to do with it.  If you are under the age of 18 then your parents income is what they base it on.

CP isn't an automatic approval for SSI.  My littlest one was tentatively diagnosed with it a month or so ago, we haven't even thought about applying for any kind of benefits for him because his CP causes us to have no extra expenses except more doctors appointments which are already covered by our medical plan.  But even if we did apply he wouldn't automatically get it for his CP (although the hearing impairment that accompanies it would likely make him eligible)

2. NateB11 profile image93
      NateB11posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Because bureaucracies serve themselves and not people. Because generally people only consider rules and structure but not human beings and need and what is actually right in front of them.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 3 years ago

Here is an org for those with CP.  Give it to your mom and see if they can help.