jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)

Need advice from established hubbers!

1. Abbyfitz profile image83
    Abbyfitzposted 4 years ago

I will be completing 50 hubs here shortly. Hubapges is the only platform that I've written on. My question is, should I go to other writing sites and publish there, or should I continue writing more hubs here exclusively to earn more money. more hubs=more income?
    If I should write elsewhere, what sites are best? I ventured over to Squidoo this week, but it makes my head hurt over there.
    Thanks in advance!

Abbyfitzposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sorry I've asked this question in another thread. It didn't show up in my feed the first time!

2. dspallino profile image59
      dspallinoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's always good to expand your writing and improving your skills. That way you get more feedback.

3. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I'd say take some time to analyse what's working and what isn't. If you can that is - only having been here 3 months you might not have much in the way of reliable data to go on. From my experience it can also take 6 months or more to get any kind of stability in the serps. Still I think it would be a good exercise to really take stock of how your content is performing.

I'd be looking at what keywords are bringing in traffic to each hub. Are they the keywords you wanted to rank for, other ones, or a mixture?
      Where each keyword is ranking in the search results?
      What's the competition like? How might you be able to beat them in the search results?
      Which types of hubs that you write make the most money?
      Which niches that you write on get the most traffic?
      Which niches that you write on make the most money?

Once you've done that you might have a better idea about where to put your future efforts.

4. Marisa Wright profile image94
      Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket, unless you own the basket.

I've seen writing sites go broke or get taken over, and close down.  I've seen them change their rules so much I don't want to write there any more.  You never know what's going to happen on a site you don't control, so I would definitely advise spreading your work around.

By all means keep writing the occasional Hub, but personally I think the 100 mark is about the max for any one site.

The other benefit of writing on other sites is that it helps raise your profile as a writer. You do that by using a common user name across all the sites, then interlink your articles on related subjects. So for instance, you might write an article about fascinators on Infobarrel and link it to your Hub on fascinators.  Then you might write another article on that topic on Wizzley and link it to both the the other articles.  And so on.

Sites which will allow you to do that, and retain the right to delete your articles if you wish, are  PubWages, ThisisFreelance, Xobba, Wizzley, Infobarrel and Seekyt.  Since you're a craft kind of person, have you thought about an Etsy store?

I have thought about etsy. The problem is that my time available to make things is sporadic. Too, and this is probably pessimistic of me, I have no hope of anyone finding my products on etsy. But I could be wrong lol

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
          Marisa Wrightposted 4 years ago in reply to this

You might be surprised, especially if you write articles on sites like HubPages and include links to your Etsy products.

Thanks. You have given me a bunch of great ideas. Now I've just gotta find time to implement them LOL

2. rmcrayne profile image94
          rmcrayneposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This was exactly my experience.  I think you have to have a great product, crazy good marketing skills and strategy, and sheer dumb luck.  I got a few "likes" when my posts first hit the feed, then radio silence.

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image90
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

dspallino is absolutely right that generally diversification is a good idea. 

However, different sites use different forms of creating revenue.  In Squidoo, you need to either rank highly, or sell affiliate products.  Other sites rely more heavily on Google Adsense, which can be hard work to earn off. 

I would experiment, if I were you.  I use HubPages, Squidoo, Blogger, Redgage, Infobox, Wizzley, my own sites, and there's probably few more, if I think about it!

1. dspallino profile image59
      dspallinoposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Oh yeah, forgot to add this little bit. Certain sites have certain rules to posting/blogging. I have stumbled upon a few that won't allow you to advertise at all to where some allow the most extreme content.

But yes, explore your options and other sites for posting. Just beware of their TOS.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I had thought about writing companion articles on other sites to my hubs here. Thought about starting a blog but I don't think I could stick to one subject.  When I hit 50 I'll look into the other sites. But not squidoo lol

3. Bard of Ely profile image88
    Bard of Elyposted 4 years ago

I don't like Squidoo so not surprised with your reaction to it. I used to put all my writings here but don't any more due to the idling system which has played havoc with my collection of hubs. I have been moving mine to Wizzley, Xobba and Infobarrel.

I have 50 hubs being my stopping point here set in my mind. I don't know why, I guess I want an even number. I've looked at wizzley and set up an account so I can get familiar with it when I do go over there. Hope I see some good results.

4. waynet profile image49
    waynetposted 4 years ago

Write were the money is, but always look for new opportunities and try them out....backlink your stuff between sites if they are relevant and try to build up a targeted Social presence on Facebook and through Twitter and even Google+ and consider creating a website of some sort to write your thoughts or promote all your writing there!

Never ever rely on just one website for online earnings! it is a fools errand!

I must be Internet challenged. I signed up for google plus in an attempt to use it to spread the word about my writing but I couldn't figure out how to use it. Anybody have any thoughts?

working