MTurk don't want new workers, not even want to take screening test.

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (30 posts)
  1. profile image53
    mcxniftycallsposted 11 years ago

I just seen a forum thread about "New Qualification Test for Rating Hubs" by "Paul Edmondson". Went through the formalities but got a message from amazon.
    "We have completed our review of your Amazon Mechanical Turk Worker Account. Unfortunately, you will not be permitted to work on Mechanical Turk. Thank you for your interest in Mechanical Turk"

Never mind, I am happy with writing and publishing only on hubpages. But don't know, what its mean if even they don't want to take qualification test.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That message sounds like an Amazon issue, not an HP issue! Could it be a country-of-origin problem?

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think you got it in one!  I believe that this facility is Only open to US personalities!

1. profile image53
          mcxniftycallsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh! only US residents are intelligent to rate Hubs? Never mind, just Kidding! Their Ship, Their Command!

2. profile image53

Yeah I think, I get to know about this on Hubpages, a post by Hubpages staff and it is related to qualifying a screening test to rate hubs. I was just interested to take that challange "New Qualification Test for Rating Hubs".
    But Matter is closed as amazon rejected me before the start only, not even given the chance to participate.

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Only US residents and residents of India are allowed to rate hubs for payment.

I assume HP considers that they are the only ones whose English language skills are equivalent to the standards required for "stellar" hubs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it's US only.

1. profile image53

You Shocked Marisa?

No, it doesn't surprise me.  It's not uncommon to find sites that will only hire from the US.  It's nothing to do with writing ability, they usually say it's because of the tax implications of paying overseas members.

1. profile image53

Got it, Thanks!

2. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nicely said WA!  smile

It's even worse for Kiwis... apparently, we are really thick!  lol

4. profile image53

Thanks WriteAngles. I think residents of India are also not allowed, don't know about US.
    I am from India and rejected within a second without even mentioning what was wrong. And it's not about payments but just interested to participate in "New Qualification Test for Rating Hubs".
    But it's Ok if they don't want to, because of any reason that I don't know.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Here's what's going on as to countries...

http://mturkforum.com/showthread.php?52 … -countries

Looks like they do indeed only accept US now.

6. profile image53

It's OK. I am still happy just publishing on Hubpages. Thank God! At least HubPages allow me to publish here.

7. WriteAngled profile image74

Odd, because in the MTurk FAQ there is a whole section about how payments are made in dollars to US residents and in rupees to residents of India.

It's all very confusing.   I was told MTurk used to be open to other nationalities but they closed down international access some time ago.  It may be that they haven't updated some of their instructions?

8. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

An nationalities can work there, although some countries can only get paid with Amazon credit.

I believe it is Hubpages themselves who narrowed their criteria to US-only?

9. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 11 years ago

There is a bunch of information that has to be provide if you are not a USA resident.  Even USA citizens, who live outside USA cannot be Turk workers.

10. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

No, Mturk takes other nationalities. It varies by job.

11. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

MTurk is not accepting workers from outside the USA at the moment.  Here's the thread on the MTurk forum-

http://mturkforum.com/showthread.php?57 … al-Turkers

12. profile image0
    Educateurselfposted 11 years ago

About 1 month ago i have also applied for amazon Mturk but unfortunately they can't accept me, Why? don't no.But i think there is a reason they will not accept without US citizens.I think it's really bad for amazon reputation.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image60
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because they were getting a ridiculous amount of scammers/bad workers from other countries.  In addition, there were complications and additional expenses with taxes/payments being accepted.

It's such an over-reaction. They could have been selective and excluded only the "problem" countries, like Adsense does.   

It's really laziness on their part, because the tax thing is nonsense.  If a small company like HubPages can manage to deal with the tax implications, then it shouldn't be a problem for Amazon.  It's pretty straightforward, really.  But then, Amazon still hasn't managed to work out how to pay international workers, while every other company on the internet worked it out years ago.

13. WriteAngled profile image74

This means that all hubs will be graded by people from just one country. As a result, I can bet that hubs dealing with issues of no interest to, or outside the knowledge of, the average US resident are going to get idled far faster than US-centric stuff, regardless of quality.

Why would you think that WA?

14. Judi Bee profile image90
    Judi Beeposted 11 years ago

Frauds and scams by foreign workers?  Pot calling the kettle black as far as I'm concerned.  Amazon has been making the news in the UK for their tax avoidance schemes - one of their directors was labelled as "deliberately evasive" when called up in front of a committee of MPs to account for their failure to clearly declare their profits in the UK.

*Shrugs* possibly hypocritical.  I wasn't really defending them, just listing the reasons they gave.

I have no feelings either way.

1. Judi Bee profile image90
        Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't really aiming my comment at you Melissa - I read their reasons in the forum thread.  Your comment just reminded me of them being in the news last year for their own scam (along with Starbucks and Google) - I'd forgotten about it earlier.

I didn't mean to sound defensive.  I'm sorry.

I've got a wicked bad headache and it may be making me short.

1. Judi Bee profile image90
            Judi Beeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No worries.  Now move away from the computer and have a lie down to sort out your head - hope it gets better soon smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)