jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (15 posts)

Use horizontal instead of vertical ads

1. Terri Paajanen profile image84
    Terri Paajanenposted 9 years ago

I think that when a google ad is inserted between two text capsules, it really should be a horizontal, banner style ad not a vertical ad. You can see what I mean here:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Alarm-Clocks-to … out-of-Bed

It creates a really big gap between capsule 1 and 2, with a bit odd bit of white space. A vertical ad, like shown at the bottom of the page would work much better.

Is this a random choice or is it deliberate?

Note: I see that the ads change position when the page reloads, so my example may or may not make any sense....

2. darkside profile image82
    darksideposted 9 years ago

I know what you're saying.

The ones which aren't an actual skyscraper ad size are still very aesthetically UNpleasing to the eye.

3. Stacie Naczelnik profile image87
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 9 years ago

I hate that blank white space.  Sometimes, I wonder how many people don't end up reading the rest of my hub because of that space.

1. Isabella Snow profile image87
      Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago in reply to this

If you hate it you could always just put your hub into one text box..

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image87
        Stacie Naczelnikposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I've actually been experimenting with ways to avoid it lately, and I think I found a couple of solutions that don't involved only using one text box.  Practice makes perfect!

Now I need to go update older hubs.

4. ramesh profile image60
    rameshposted 9 years ago

yeah i too have the same opinion ,it would be better if the vertical ads in the middle of two capsules are replaced by horizontal ones like the banner ads at the top and bottom of every hub...

5. Paraglider profile image89
    Paragliderposted 9 years ago

Also it seems to me that the Google ads top & bottom and in the sidebar are targeted, but the vertical ad they stick in the middle of the content is unrelated.

They are not quite as bad as the ebay dog food columns we were getting previously, but I do think they are calculated to interrupt the reader.

Yes I know that's the whole point, but...

6. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Hmm I know what you are saying but I am not seeing it in the current version of the alarm clocks hub?  Also how do you get the photos on the right and the text wrapping around - I havent managed that on hubpages yet!

Terri Paajanenposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Ya the ads change so you're not always going to see the same thing, making my example a bit useless  smile

To move a photo capsule to the right like that, just use the arrows to shift it to the right (beside the arrows that move it up and down). Once a capsule is set to the right, you can move it up and down and it will automatically shift into position next to another capsule. You can put photos in that way, or book capsules.

7. Lissie profile image87
    Lissieposted 9 years ago

Thanks Terri - I'll try that on the next one!

8. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

It can also take Google a couple of days to improve the matching of their ads to content.

9. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

Whats the point of having more than 1 box if you dont want ads inbetween them?

Serious question.

Terri Paajanenposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I prefer to have an extra ad tucked in the middle, but a vertical ad makes no sense. A horizontal banner ad will fit much better with the text and not ruin the flow of the article. I'm not asking that the ads be removed, just reformatted.

10. Isabella Snow profile image87
    Isabella Snowposted 9 years ago

Ok... but that wasn't my question. smile

Im asking Stacie why she doesnt just put all of her text into one box if she doesnt want the ads inbetween the boxes - since they always show the white space.

11. Whitney05 profile image62
    Whitney05posted 9 years ago

I don't know about your question to stacie, but I do agree that a horizontal banner would be more appealing. I'm not a big fan of the huge white gap that it leaves between capsules. Or maybe if we could wrap text around the google vertical box that is currently there.

I will say that I like multiple capsules, so that the different sections can be classified titled. Even though, I guess you could just use bold font to do the same. But, also, using multiple capsules makes formating the page nicer, in the sense that you can place pictures, ebay or amazon, and other capsules capsules with the appropriate section, versus all in a vertical column, the top, or the bottom.

working