How Does HubPages' Traffic Compare to Squidoo?

1. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 3 years ago

I'm not sure how HubPages compares to Squidoo as far as functionality goes, but it is clear from the traffic over the past two years that Squidoo is doing a much better job building traffic and overcoming the Google updates than HubPages.  -  Feb 2011, HubPages peaked at 7.8 Million monthly views and now stands at 2.6 Million monthly views, as of Jan 2013.  Pre-March 2011 were the HubPages "glory days" that many Hubbers talk about.  By March 2011, HubPages traffic dropped to only 1.4 million monthly views after Google's Panda update hit and stayed near that level for about six months (ouch!).  -  Feb 2011, Squidoo had a traffic level of 3.9 Million monthly views and now stands at 5.6 Million monthly views, as of Jan 2013.  Squidoo's traffic was barely affected by Google's Panda update, and the site has seen a slow but steady increase in traffic since the minor dip after Panda.

Not only has Squidoo far outpaced HubPage's traffic during the first month of 2013, but they also have grown traffic since the dreaded Google Panda update, while HubPages' traffic is still well below pre-Panda levels.  HubPages has lost 2/3rds of its traffic since Panda.  I would assume this is due to a combination of less Google searches showing HubPages content and less writers at HubPages publishing and promoting their content. 

Any thoughts or insights into these stats would be appreciated.

1. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You're much better off looking at the stats on Quantcast if you want accurate info. This is because Quantcast directly collects both Hubpages and Squidoo's stats (each site allows Quantcast to collect the actual info through a bit of code whereas semrush's stats are "best guesses").

Choose "global visits" and you can use the slider underneath the graph to select a date period.

You'll see both sites are roughly on about 1 million visitors per day at the moment.

I won't go into my analysis of why Squidoo has fared better than Hubpages since Panda as it would take me all day, but I might throw in a few of my theories later on.