What if you couldn't express yourself artistically?

1. MissJamieD profile image79
    MissJamieDposted 3 years ago

If, for some reason, you couldn't write, paint, draw, what would your life be like now? Do you think writing/the arts helps/benefits you and your life? Without it, what would your life be like? How has writing/the arts "saved" you?

When I was a child, before I could articulate myself in writing, I drew what I wanted my life to be like. I drew big houses with huge pieces of art over the sofa. I drew each and every room in complete detail down to the design on the comforters on the beds. I did this alot. I also drew often to take myself away from reality. If I was mad or sad, I'd draw or read. And once I had learned enough to start writing my feelings down, around age 9 or 10, that is how I expressed myself.

If I didn't have writing or the arts, I'm not sure where I'd be today but I probably wouldn't be as level-headed as I am now because I was able to let off "steam" with those mediums. Music is also a huge part of my life, but that would sometimes make me too emotional. So, my writing was a complete story told from my mind, letting any sadness or anger, and sometimes happiness too, out. In my opinion everybody needs an outlet somewhere in life and writing is certainly mine.

Where would you be if you couldn't write? How would your life be different?