Why Have You Idled my Hub? - Believe it of NOT - List yours here

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (16 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

I just has a hub idled for low traffic (its being getting traffic and income for 12 months).
    Below are the hits stats
    4  today
    18 last 7 days   
    60 last 30 days   
    440    Ever
    Published  01/15/12   
    Hubscore 87
    Google PR  2

Surely  that is good enough ???
    List yours here - we might be able to work it out ( the 3 time-frame system - 2 month, quarterly and yearly)

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why not let HP choose you an exclusive title and finish it off for good, Janderson.  yikes

2. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I really don’t get everyone’s outrage over the idling issue. 

For my hubs, I don’t consider 2 or 3 views per day over the last 30 days as good traffic or “good enough” for a hub that is a year or more old.  But that’s just me.  I might take it a little personally, but I certainly don’t harbor any bad feelings toward HP.  Toward Google yes.  I have plenty of hubs that I think are well written, and contain very useful information, but they just never “got legs”.  I racked my brain to look up keywords and phrases on a couple of these, and just never found any good ones to drive traffic to some of these hubs.  I have others that had modest traffic (as opposed to virtually none) before all the Google drama, and just never bounced back.  There was a time when my new stuff got decent traffic right away.  That is not the current climate. 

In our new reality, it’s certainly not realistic to think that every single thing we write is going to get traffic and be successful.  It’s trial and error.  You never know what’s going to take off.  I have voluntarily unpublished a total of 60 hubs now, but not all at once.  I read in the forum months ago from hubbers that I trusted that they had unpublished low performers, and it had improved their traffic.  Also, one hubber noted that the majority of their traffic came from just a few hubs.  I took these things to heart.  I have unpublished 10-20 hubs at a time, on multiple occasions.  Each time I experienced an increase in traffic. 

It’s time for me to do another purge.  Some hubs are easier to let go of than others.  Some I have moved to Blogger.  Others, I’m still pondering what to do.  I personally don’t see much benefit in moving to Wizzley or Zujava.  I haven’t found those sites to have very good traffic juice at all.  It’s painful, but sometimes a great hub “needs to go” no where at all, except maybe a notebook, for us to occasionally enjoy and reminisce, like looking at a photo album.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not outraged, but I am a little frustrated. How are you, Rose Mary?

1. rmcrayne profile image89
          rmcrayneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hey Holle.  I'm trying to wrap up work stuff, because I'm getting ready for a trip home soon.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Finally, someone brave enough to speak the truth.
        I feel the same way but just did not have the motivation to say it as you did.
        Bravo - the truth shall set you free.

No matter how attached we get to our productions - it is still all about traffic. If it doesn't get it, (your analysis was spot on), then it's no good to HP, or us.

I enjoy writing political satire articles. I put a lot of effort into them, but after the topic has passed from the public's radar, then the traffic drops to stats similar to the OPs numbers. No body searches for old news, (not comparing his hubs to old news),  - so those great articles I wrote won't be benefiting anyone. Too bad they get idled, but life goes on.

GA

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If HP is really shooting hubs that get daily traffic... That really confuses me... sad

3. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hey janderson99!

I totally understand your frustration due to the lack of clarity we have with the Quality Assessment Program. We're working on straightening out those kinks.

I'd give a more explicit response, but the means by which Hubs lose Featured status due to traffic is going to change soon, so what I say now will soon no longer be valid.

I do see, though, that you have already edited and updated the Hub, so it'll be Featured again for at least another couple of months (I'd recommend focusing on driving more search traffic by having a look at your Hub's title and analyzing its present position in search results). By then, the QAP's traffic analysis side will be further improved.

1. habee profile image93

But, Simone...what if it's already an "exclusive title"? A few of my hubs with exclusive titles are idled, even though they contain lots of info, use keyword research, and are well written. We can't change those titles, can we?

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pssssst!  If you ask nicely, and have a new title ready to go, HP will change it manually for you. You supposedly can use Title Tuner to change the exclusive title (?), but TT won't work for me.

1. habee profile image93

I couldn't get TT to work, either. Thanks. I didn't know we could get staff to change the titles.

janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

TT can't cope with big Nuke Subs!

2. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why not delete it and change the title yourself, that's what I'm going to do with the 2 I tried.  The exclusive titles seem to be worse to get traffic than those we choose ourselves.  In my case, at any rate.

1. wilderness profile image96
              wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've had the same experience.  Few if any of my exclusives have done anything at all.

To delete it, though, will lose whatever small amount of juice it has already collected.

3. Simone Smith profile image88
            Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Please do email me to request changes to Exclusive titles!!! I'm happy to do that until we have the bandwidth to build a better solution for editing them. Asking for help from me is the best way to go if using the Title Tuner isn't possible.

1. profile image0
              summerberrieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Simone,
              I have some exclusive titles idled which are seasonal.

My problem is they have passed QAP but did not pick up enough traffic during the season (they are season hubs)
              I plan to keep them idle and not tweak them until  two months or so prior to the new season. So in September I will tweak them to get them out of the idle stage and hopefully ready for the October/November/December traffic. (I'm a bit nervous about tweaking hubs too frequently-another question that can be asked later)
              The question is this: Does the changes you speak of expand the duration prior to hubs going into idle?
              The reason I ask this is because if hubs (especially seasonal ones) can have the grace period of 6th months to gain traffic that would be helpful. If that is in the horizon, I will go ahead and tweak these hubs now to have ready for the upcoming season.
              Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)