jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)

What would you change about Hubpages?

1. MissJamieD profile image79
    MissJamieDposted 4 years ago

If you could change Hubpages, what would you change?

1. Cock of the Walk profile image61
      Cock of the Walkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Everything.

2. ktrapp profile image90
    ktrappposted 4 years ago

The home page, but not much else. Suits me just fine smile

1. MissJamieD profile image79
      MissJamieDposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I personally think the forums stink, the entire layout is boring.

1. Cock of the Walk profile image61

Not to mention the quarky edit mode. Have they never heard of Adobe?

2. ktrapp profile image90
        ktrappposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Probably not a bad thing then - The less time spent in the forums, the more time to be more productive on other things!

2. Cock of the Walk profile image61

Don't get out much?

1. ktrapp profile image90

Funny lol Actually I spend a lot of my time using a variety of software and development tools for my job and find HubPages to be really good. Sure, the "my account" area is pretty jumbled and the home page needs a new concept and make over, but other than that, no complaints, and actually I'm not even complaining about those things.

1. Poindexter Schnod profile image62
          Poindexter Schnodposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A lot of programs that are stuck in quark. How about Adobe? They don't have a funky edit mode where you forget what typo you are looking for by the  time you get there. The programmers actually finished the project. HP should break down and make an investment in modern software. Adobe will walk them along.

3. Zelkiiro profile image83
    Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago

I'd increase the letter limit on the Hub summary (the bold text on top of your Hub) about 20-40 letters. Because right now, it's INFURIATING when my summary sentences are cut off by a word or two!

Well don't get too infuriated smile Those limits are in place because typically Google will only display a title of a given length, same with the summary, although Google may replace the summary in the rich snippet with other text from your page as appropriate.

1. Zelkiiro profile image83
        Zelkiiroposted 4 years ago in reply to this

But that's the problem! The limit for the Google search summary is longer than the limit for what will appear in your Hub!

On HP the title limit is 65 characters and the summary is 200 characters. I think the rule of thumb regarding how Google might display a snippet is to have no more than 70 characters in the title and 160 in the meta description (the equivalent of the HP summary). Keep in mind, they don't necessarily even display the summary and may choose relevant text instead.

Interestingly, Google displays the title based on pixel width and not number of characters. For example a capital W is much wider than a lowercase i.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
          Uninvited Writerposted 4 years ago in reply to this

A good writer should have no problem writing a summary to fit smile

4. MissJamieD profile image79
    MissJamieDposted 4 years ago

I adore Hubpages as a whole, but I still think the website has a lot to be desired. Just my humble opinion but it's not very pleasing to the eyes.

working