jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

Wordpress plagiarism

1. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 4 years ago

I have found the content to many of hubs posted on a Wordpress user's blog.  Wordpress refuse to accept liability and they offer no way of contacting them (they do not do email support!).  The Wordpress user has no way of contacting them or leaving comments and therefore I cannot get a DMCA complaint to them.  What's next?  And how can Wordpress get away with such illegal behaviour?

1. Simone Smith profile image91
      Simone Smithposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey sparkster,
      I'm sorry this happened to you. The next course of action is to file the complaint directly with Google.
      Our full DMCA procedures are here for reference: http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/how- … -complaint
      I wish you the best of luck! Try to think of it as a sign of flattery.... your work is worth stealing!

2. sparkster profile image92

Thanks for that Simone.  The problem is Google will only accept DMCA complaints if it relates to one of their own websites (which they have listed appropriately).  They can remove it from search results but they can't do anything about the website.  Wordpress is open source and they offer no way of contacting them and neither do many of their users who have set up blogs and websites (which I believe is against the law).

1. Gail Meyers profile image60
      Gail Meyersposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Sparkster, if Word Press is the host then they should deal with it immediately.  If they are not, then find the host and issue your DMCA to them.
      http://en.support.wordpress.com/content … hat-to-do/

3. sparkster profile image92

Gail, if you go through everything on that page and their whole support mechanism, they clearly do not accept emails and neither do they support requests to have material removed - they have stated this themselves on their website.

4. nwapchelp profile image82
    nwapchelpposted 4 years ago

http://automattic.com/dmca/

That link is the detailed information for filing a DMCA for sites hosted directly by Automattic.com aka Wordpress.

sparksterposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Excellent, that's exactly what I needed. Thank you very much.

Reading that back it seems sarcastic but I really didn't mean it in a sarcastic way.

5. theraggededge profile image94
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

It might not be anything to do with Wordpress. if it's a free Wordpress.com blog, then yes, WP host it. However, it might be a self-hosted blog. For example, I have two blogs using WP software but they are hosted by Hostgator.

I see, thank you for that info.  The blog in question is a subdomain of "wordpress.com"

I am sure this must be frustrating, Sparkster.  I had that you are having trouble with this.  Please keep us posting on how it is going.

Re: Wordpress on stolen material <<When this happens, and the culprit is a member of WordPress.com, we take immediate action, ensuring that your content is rightfully protected. When this happens, and the culprit is an externally hosted “splog” (spam blog) or web site, we are unable to take any direct action against the apparent violation. >>

Look at the bottom of the offending page and see if it says "hosted by...."

Typo, I "hate" that you are having trouble...not "had"

6. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

The email I find at the ip adress for wordpress.com and is listed for "abuse" is: ipadmin@automattic.com.  I just filed some 30 DMCA's and have very good luck in getting them shut down.  Because of that I just wrote a hub on finding hosts and filing with them; while it's a little long to reproduce here you might check that hub out.

Wow, it is just amazing what an issue this is with people cutting and pasting hubs.  I would think your hub will get many views!  Great idea!

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

It's a huge issue.  One of my best hubs has lost ranking and half it's traffic, mostly from theft and being republished elsewhere.

I just found 2 more yesterday, too.  It's a never ending battle.

Unfortunately, I had the same experience with a 90% drop on hubs that were ranking before they were cut and pasted in their entirety (including ads and comments).  Reported it, then the scraper started harassing me.

Each time I successfully get my (plagiarized) article on Covert Narcissism removed from other websites it seems to pop up straight away somewhere else.  Every since starting this thread I have had to submit DMCA complaints on nearly a daily basis.  Yesterday I found the article on a blog posted by someone called Alison, who claims to have written the article herself.  My traffic also seems to suffer terribly whenever it has been posted illegitimately on another website.

working