How Do You Write Quality Articles When You Have Little Time?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. CJ Monet profile image61
    CJ Monetposted 11 years ago

I just published my first hub and also recently started maintaining a blog and a website. It's all new to me, and  everything takes a lot of time because I am learning new things every day. I also work full time 6 days per week.

I am wondering if you more seasoned writers can suggest tips on how to write faster while still maintaining the quality of my work.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Honestly I don't think there's a way to write good quality hubs fast. We all wish there was. I spend about three or four hours writing a piece, and then it takes another two or three to post it. I don't think there's a way around it. Even then, you need to have your pictures and videos ready, and must decide if you want to put Amazon capsules on. Maybe there is a time of day or night that.makes you feel more creative or inspired? I find that I write best at night, late at night, when everyone is either asleep or at least doing something and not bothering me. The only downside is proofreading, if its too late I get tired. You can do it, just find a spot in your schedule.

1. Simone Smith profile image88
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jean Bakula hits the nail on the head. It's all about quality, not quantity, and there's no cutting corners. big_smile

2. NateB11 profile image89
        NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad you made that point, Jean. It's something I've thought, also, for some time. There is sometimes talk of churning out loads of articles, and it's always been my feeling that those articles cannot have much quality to them. Like you, usually I take hours, at least, to put up an article. Anything of quality is going to take time to produce. I think that's a fact and logical.

2. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One way to do it is to start a Word file or NotePad file and start adding your text there.  Jot down your ideas, play with the words and such and get it all looking good over a several day period or week...something like that.  Once you have that done, spend a evening or two looking for photos you will use.  You can upload the photos here to HP and they will sit there.  To use them, once you start the hub, you just pull them from "your photos"... it is like your gallery.

Tweak the hub for a night or two, then publish it.

In other words, lay out a plan do create a hub over time.  I have done this.

CJ Monetposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks,  Dale. Jotting down ideas in a word document over several days, I believe will work for me.  And you just taught me a little more about using HP. I did not know I could upload photos.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
          Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been doing what I suggested myself.  I have the hub complete in notepad, now off for photo(s) that I can use.  I usually use Flickr Creative Commons, but prefer Wikimedia Creative Commons.  I always do photos last as I like to link to the source to give credit.

The hub will build faster if you upload the photos first.  The load into the hub editor much quicker that way for some reason.

Good luck and keep hubbing away. smile

Dale, you've been very helpful. I have been exploring Flickr, next wikimedia. Thank you

3. profile image0
      Joanne M Olivieriposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I always carry a pen and notebook with me wherever I go.  When a thought comes to mind, I write down then when I have time which is usually in the morning  before work, I construct the poem or article, tweak it and then publish it.  As someone already mentioned, you have to be very talented to write quickly.  I spend most of my time editing and tweaking.  Hope this helps.

I agree  with you, Joanne. Thank you for responding, by the way. I need all the help I can get. You seen to be able to write quickly. I wish I could. Maybe with practice.

1. profile image0

I only work part time these days so I have much leisure time in which to write.   I take advantage of each free moment to write and photograph.  Once you get in the groove of writing you will be on a steady flow.

Thanks much, Joanne. I am hoping I can begin making money writing so I begin working part time. My goal is to quite working and write full time eventually.

1. profile image0

I would lov,e to do that as well, quit and write full time.  Keep working at it and I am sure you will accomplish your goal.

4. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image94
      Kierstin Gunsbergposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just started hubbing but basically, I just have an entire document full of "ideas"--articles I want to write-- that way when I have time to write, I don't have to sit wondering what I should write about. It also helps to have a folder of ready-to-go pictures.

Kierstin, Re: Folder of ready to go pictures. Do you search for pictures whever you come up for an idea for an article? or just random picture searches?

5. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You don't have the time to write online and to make it big. So make it small!

One thing that helps: Write when the inspiration hits and the time allows. Save it in draft. When you come back later, you can refine your work.

Never stop learning and reading about how to write. Find something new to improve on every week. There is plenty of free,online advice about grammar, proper form and even inspiration through writing exercises.

Organize yourself. Keep track of your various blogs, sites and writing goals. Set schedules and keep them on your calendar.

Start to establish yourself in the social networks.They are the best free advertising in the world, but they take time and effort.  Your audiences will come from them. Twitter, Google Plus, appropriate web forums and a Facebook page are a good start. Expect to spend an hour maintaining your social networking presence for every hour spent writing. 

Never write just to stay in production. Your readers will wait, but they won't forgive a regular stream of weak crap.

Finally, choose one quality site that kicks your work back to you for failing to meet the standards. Those are where you really learn to write. Associated Content is an example. Doing work under killer supervision will make you a better writer.

Have you written for associated content? Do you get paid for articles there?

6. Krysanthe profile image90
      Krysantheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For me, it's not really the writing that slows me down.  I write hubs about topics I know about, have recently done, or have recently researched.  So the words come simply without much effort on my part.  That being said, my suggestion would be to write hubs about things YOU know about.  Since you are an "expert" on those topics, they should be easier and quicker for you.  The more you write, the better you become at writing.  So in time, you'll be able to stretch your limits to that topics that may be more foreign to you.

1. Ratatoesk profile image59
        Ratatoeskposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Krysanthe, I just want to let you know that I totally agree with you. I made the very same experience. If I write on a subject I know and what I love my hands moving alone. I don´t have to think about. I just write it like I would talk about it. My personal challenge is to write it all in english because it is not my own language. This slows me a bit down. ;-)

7. Ratatoesk profile image59

Hi, I guess you´re here in order to earn money. Am I right? For earning money it is not necessary to do all the work that has to be done on your own. You can easily outsource what needs to be done. If you have an idea for an article you can go to platforms like elance and find someone who writes a high quality article for you for a little amount of money - while you´re working at your day job. For example you will get very well written articles from India.
      Walking this path you will leverage your effort and time. You will get done more in less time. And finally you will even earn more money. :-)

Ratatoesk, have you outsourced? I am a bit of a control freak and I want a good article since it reflects me. But it will definitely solve my problem of not having enough time... Maybe I'll try it - at least once.

8. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

One question to ask is - why are you trying to write for a website and a blog and a revenue-sharing site, if you have so little time?

You'll do much better if you focus on one thing.   Google wants "authority sites" these days so you really have to build the content on either your website or blog to be successful.  Personally, I don't see revenue-sharing sites like HubPages as viable sources of income these days.  They are good as a way to promote your blog/website and earn a bit of income at the same time, but there's no real benefit in building up a body of work on them.

2. CJ Monet profile image61

Jean, It's no coincidence then that you are so highly rated. Thank you for your response. I was beginning to feel a bit like I may be the only one who spends hours trying to find the right pictures, etc and then just the right way to communicate my thoughts.

I do my best work very early in the morning before everyone is awake - and before I have to begin my day job.

Thank you for your honesty. I will carve slots into my schedule even if it takes me a several days to complete a hub.

3. Gail Meyers profile image64
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

Dale, those sound like some good tips.  I see people state that they take an hour to create these fabulous hubs and I think they must really be gifted.

4. Kasman profile image77
    Kasmanposted 11 years ago

To be honest, I can totally understand this. I work, have a side business, and I'm attempting to test my fledgling writing skills on this honestly. I put out about a hub a week and that honestly is my goal. I have to do it on my own time and I don't want to stress about it. I'm a perfectionist in some ways so it does take me a little longer because I concern myself with all the "little" details. Put your heart into it, but don't stress out, you'll see great results because of this I think.

Aw, thanks for the encouragement. You do know what it's like to have to squeeze the time in somewhere so you can write.  Best of luck to you.

2. Xenonlit profile image60
      Xenonlitposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do  multiple sites. Try writing once a week at three sites (that's three times a week). Opensalon.com is good for beginners.

And don't compromise. Put out your best stuff or don't put it out at all.

5. sparkleyfinger profile image87
    sparkleyfingerposted 11 years ago

Little and often is the key. I work 40+ hours per week, and I aim to spend 15-20 mins a day writing a couple of paragraphs... This ads up to nearly 2.5 hours a week, which should produce at least 1 quality hub per week... Good luck!

6. CJ Monet profile image61

Your screen name makes me giggle. I will certainly remember you. smile I work 10-12 hr days myself. I will have to make a schedule so i can fit in a few words maybe if I get a seat on the train or something.

1. sparkleyfinger profile image87
      sparkleyfingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think this was a response to me? If so, thanks? And yeah, it's hard to squeeze in. I take a notebook everywhere with me... So if I have a delay waitin on a bus, or a 15 min tea break, I write a little, and type it up later. I find copying from my scribbles is easier than writing from scratch...

Have you tried sensebot.net or hakia.com? Topclass (another hubber) says they provide summaries an a given topic so it's easier to flesh out an idea from there.

1. sparkleyfinger profile image87
          sparkleyfingerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not tried them, no... I'd feel as though I was stealing someone's work!

7. macteacher profile image79
    macteacherposted 11 years ago

I also work full time and try to get a little writing done in between other things.  I'll write a paragraph or two on my lunch hour, or in the evening before I go to sleep.   I usually work on four or five hubs at one time.  I keep everything on a little thumb drive and pull it up when I have something I want to add to a piece. 

I also make use of the spelling and grammar checker in MS Word, it helps avoid big mistakes.  In addition, when I'm finished writing - I copy and paste my whole article into paperrater. com - it catches any additional errors.  I learned to do this when I was writing for Textbroker to polish my mechanical skills.  Their standards are tough, but it helped to have feedback. 

It is time very consuming, but nothing worthwhile is attainable quickly.  :-)  You'll get there, just do what you can when you can and before you know it those hubs will be writing themselves.

8. topclass profile image59
    topclassposted 11 years ago

One way to speed up the research is using these two sites that provide summary extracts from various sources
    www.sensebot.net  and www.hakia.com

Topclass, thank you. I'll try them on my next hub.

2. Ratatoesk profile image59

In my eyes, this is an excellent tip. Thank you Topclass :-)

9. BigBlue54 profile image61
    BigBlue54posted 11 years ago

Hi All, read CJ question and as I am also new here I hoped for some useful info, and thanks to everyone I have certainly got that. I think every post had something of note. So thanks to CJ for asking the question and thanks to everyone else for such useful answers.

10. profile image0
    awallpostposted 11 years ago

Choose your best topic(what you like) before starting a hub, and memorize just few important points on that topic, note it down. Then start your hub page content, the first thing you have to do is give few sentence explanation  on your topic and start your explanation on each point what you have noted on previous, the explanation is more clear to readers and some useful also.

Once follow in this way, surely you will finish your hub within 1 hour. I hope, the preparation of content is all depends upon our selected topics and how much do we know about that topic. May this information helpful to you.

Thanks for giving this opportunity for me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)