jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

1. Frangipanni profile image85
    Frangipanniposted 3 years ago

I'm quite new to HP and am an Aussie (Australian). My question is are people accepting of the differences in spelling between countries or should we change to American spelling e.g. colour - Australian way of spelling and color - American way of spelling? I have been changing my hubs to suit the American way but is this necessary and will it still be picked up in Google etc?

1. Ratatoesk profile image60
      Ratatoeskposted 3 years ago in reply to this

And I live in Germany and we also spell it different. The german way of spelling is: Farbe  ;-)

2. BlossomSB profile image90
      BlossomSBposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I don't think it makes any difference. HubPages has writers from many countries and cultures and it's the differences that help to make the world so interesting. It's best to just be ourselves and to accept the way that other people do things, too.

3. Susana S profile image93
      Susana Sposted 3 years ago in reply to this

As the majority of your potential visitors will be from the US I'd advise getting into the habit of writing with the US spelling/wording. For some articles it won't matter at all but for others it really will.

For instance I have a hub about how environmentally friendly different types of diapers are, with amazon capsules highlighting each type so that people in the US can buy them. If I'd used the word "nappies" instead of "diapers" it would draw the wrong kind of traffic ie: traffic from the UK and Aus, both of whom will not buy from my amazon capsules.

2. kidscrafts profile image85
    kidscraftsposted 3 years ago

I live in Canada and I generally use "colour".  It's also the spelling in the United Kingdom.  I don't know if it has an influence with google.

3. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

I know of no problems re: Australian vs. UK vs. American spelling. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep it in English and you'll be fine. big_smile

4. ritsukakunx profile image65
    ritsukakunxposted 3 years ago

The way you spell your words is cooler. sad I want to be able to spell it "colour" and not get weird looks! XD

5. Gypsy Rose Lee profile image62
    Gypsy Rose Leeposted 3 years ago

Living in Europe we always have a challenging difference in the British and American way of spelling. I have made my choice and since I was born and raised in the U.S. I keep to the American way of spelling. Basically I think that what is important is that all of the hubs posted have correct spelling and have no grammatical mistakes.