jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Newbie uninformed generic comment...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

One of my hubs today showed up with the following comment:

"Thanks for the share. Great stuff, just nice!
    I love your blog .This is a cool site and I wanted to post a little note to tell you, good job! Best wishes!!!"

The person had an HP link, so I checked their profile.  None.  Joined just 7 hours prior, no followers (to be expected at only 7 hours old), no hubs,  no avatar, nothing filled out...

This type of comment may show us exactly why there are some problems with views/Google, etc:  People are apparently mistaking HP for a blogging site..and maybe Google does, as well......

So, I am left wondering, should I accept the comment, without comment/reply of my own; should I e-mail the person privately to attempt to "educate" them about HP not being a blog, and that 'sharing' means sharing someone else's article;  etc....
    What would you do with such a generic comment that references nothing about which you wrote?  It sounds like the sort of thing someone would say if they hadn't even read the article. 
    If I don't read an article, or finish reading it, I don't leave a comment.  ...(or, I should say, I've only done so once, and I was up-front about it, admitting that I had not read the article because the subject matter addressed something about which I am phobic, but told them I'd wanted to stop by and congratulate them anyway on winning a HOTD.)

I know this is not earth-shakingly important; it's not truly important at all--just frustrating, and as a Pisces, I'm always second-guessing myself.. LOL  wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 3 years ago

I would accept the comment as it is.  As you say, a new hubber doesn't always understand the difference between a blog and writing site.  I know I didn't when I first started.  I'm almost certain the ad that brought me to HP mentioned blogging. 
    I would thank the poster for commenting on your hub about >>> insert topic<<<, and welcome him to HP and explain a little about HP being an article writing site.

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, rebekah,
         I never seem to know how to handle stuff like that...at age 65, I still find it a tightrope act between being informative and tactful, and coming off as bitchy....  which behavior, of course, I'd rather avoid...  ;-)

3. ESPeck1919 profile image89
    ESPeck1919posted 3 years ago

Hi there! I get a lot of those types of comments on my neurodiversity blog. I usually just don't publish them and mark them as spam. People who make those comments are usually trying to market their own site quickly and easily through randomly commenting on articles, blog posts, etc.

They do this to get hits on their page, and probably to increase their status on google, so they get more hits from searches.

Another note - it's probably a good idea NOT to click on most of those links, since there's a good chance that the site they link to may install a virus or other harmful program onto your computer.

Hi, ESPeck19196,
      Agreed, I never click on links supplied within a comment...but this was the built-in HP link to the person's profile, that's all.  That's (hopefully, HP!) not going to contain a virus or other malware, nor does it give them any traffic to an external site.

1. ESPeck1919 profile image89
        ESPeck1919posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah! I must have missed that part. That's why I probably shouldn't multitask as much as I do. smile

4. Christine B. profile image83
    Christine B.posted 3 years ago

Hi Liz~  I never check the people who post on my pages.  I almost always approve a comment unless it is offensive, which I have had one or two.  I just never thought to check up on the commenter and assumed they were HP members... can anyone  comment?

Hi, Christine...

I usually only check if it is just such a generic non-comment type of comment...I've had quite a few of these from "hours-old" hubbers...you can tell if they are or are not an HP member by the name they use...if they are an outside guest commenter, their name will be gray; if they are a fellow Hubber, their name will be blue and a clickable link.  wink

1. Christine B. profile image83
        Christine B.posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Oh, I didn't know that.  Thanks for the info... smile