jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Writing a Good Profile Bio

1. Amadaun profile image84
    Amadaunposted 3 years ago

Okay...I think I've gotten the hang of most of the stuff around here.  However, I'm still dragging my heels when it comes to my bio.  I've never been very comfortable about writing bios, so I have a few questions.

Is it better to have my bio about me, about the articles I'm writing, or a mixture of both?  I've seen all three kinds as I've looked around.

What sort of things do you expect to see in a bio?

Since it's available to search engines, how long is too long?  How short is too short?

2. Simone Smith profile image90
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

Hey Amadaun! I'm glad you're getting around to writing your bio, and actually putting some thought into it!

We've found the best bios are:
    1. Short (they don't get cut off visibly in the public profile)
    2. Professional (e.g. not about personal struggles, not rambly)
    3. Polished (no grammar or punctuation mistakes)
    3. A mix of both personal background and interest (e.g. I am a trained nurse who specializes in pediatric care, however in my free time I also love to write about extreme sports.)

Visitors want to know who you are, why they should bother listening to you, and why you're on HubPages. Answer those questions in a succinct, polished manner, and you'll have a great bio! big_smile

Hope that helps!

1. Amadaun profile image84
      Amadaunposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, it does help. big_smile

2. Faith A Mullen profile image89
      Faith A Mullenposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Great tips! I find that if a bio section is longer than what fits on the public profile without being cut off, I lose interest and stop reading. Concise and polished is definitely my preference. My bio needs improvement, so I will be re-thinking it with these tips in mind.

3. 0
      Lesleysherwoodposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Simone for the tips.  I have amended my bio now ;smile

3. paradigmsearch profile image91
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

Hi, Simone. Is what I've done on my profile page "bio" a good idea or a bad idea?

4. janshares profile image86
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Yeah, Simone. What you've written makes me want to change mine which is sort of long. Could you have a look-see when you get a chance? Thanks.

5. vocalcoach profile image95
    vocalcoachposted 3 years ago

Thanks Simone for posting the points for a good bio.  I've copied your suggestions and will re-do mine.  A great help!  So glad this question was posted.