jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Google Panda effect!

1. Savio Dawson profile image84
    Savio Dawsonposted 3 years ago

I observed something interesting and I thought I should share it with all. When I search my name “Savio Dawson” on Google, I find my HubPages profile ranks first on the first page. This is above the LinkedIn profile and Facebook profile of some other Savio Dawsons. I thought that the traffic to my hubs must have increased and therefore the ranking must be high.

But in the last 3 days, I published 6 hubs and eventually had traffic in the range of 80 – 100 views per day. This obviously, because the newly published hubs are hopped by the Hubbers and therefore we see a spike in the traffic. So, I decided to check on Google and typed in “Savio Dawson” and was amazed to see that my HubPages profile had slipped 6 spots to rank number 7 on the first page. This was confusing since the traffic increase was exponential.

I now realize that this must be the ‘Panda’ effect! The traffic coming through direct and search mode are ranked better than the traffic coming through referral mode. Till the time the last 6 hubs were published, I was getting traffic through search and direct mode and hence the better ranking. But the minute I published the last 6 hubs in such a short time, the increase in referral traffic (because of members of the HubPages hopping hubs), caused my ranking to drop.

I thought this was a clear demonstration of quality material and quality traffic being monitored by Google. The old fundamentals of more traffic better rank, seems to have gone for good. Do let me know, if you think there is some other reason for this anomaly or if this is the new Google we will be dealing with? According to me, this new Google is worth having.

1. brakel2 profile image86
      brakel2posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Typing your name on the computer has nothing to do with any of your hub information. Sorry.. Visit the forums and learning center to learn how to help your writing and ranking. Read articles written by established hubbers about the issue. Good luck.

I have looked at your profile and hubs, and  you have good material and a good score. So I say, " Keep up the good work" You have good employment skills. I try not to worry about what Google is up to. Sometimes it is difficult.  wink)))).  Take care.

Savio Dawsonposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hi brakel2,

Thanks for your kind words! I just shared my observation and thanks for dropping by my page!

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

3. John Jason Hosac profile image58
    John Jason Hosacposted 3 years ago

I just checked my name and sure enough my hubpages was first on the list as well!

Hi John Jason Hosac,

That will be the case for anyone. You are no exception and neither am I .. All I am saying is the interesting drop in my ranking with the increase in traffic.... It ideally should have been the other way round....If you take a minute to read what I have written maybe it will be helpful to both of us... Thanks for your observation though!

4. agvulpes profile image87
    agvulpesposted 3 years ago

Savio are you taking into account that you are a 'sub domain' with very little 'weight' of your own. The other Savios are only a page of larger sites with more 'weight' with google?

Yes, but then even with that I was ranking ahead, wasn't I?