jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Correctly Formatting Photos that I took

1. hrymel profile image88
    hrymelposted 3 years ago

I've looked in the learning center, and searched the forums before for an answer to this, so sorry if it's a regular question that I've somehow missed. 

I'm trying to update all of my hubs so that their pictures are CC and correctly sourced, but on some of my hubs, especially my recipe ones, I have photos that I took.  They aren't super high quality, so I'm not so much worried that anyone will steal them, but I do want to format the source appropriately so that it's clear that I took the pictures and didn't just lazily steal them.  How do I do that?

1. Simone Smith profile image93
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

In the source box of the Text Capsule, we therefore recommend putting "Copyright hrymel", however the copyright is implied, so it's not necessary to do so. big_smile

More info on citing various classes of photos can be found here:

Hope that helps!

2. Amadaun profile image83
    Amadaunposted 3 years ago

I'm curious about this, too.  90% of the pictures I plan to use in my hubs are going to be screenshots of Photoshop that I took myself (sometimes with a picture of my cat in there as "proof" that I took it myself).

Another question I have is that I'm considering using some of my own art at some point.  I know that you're not supposed to use watermarked pictures, but what about pictures with a watermark I put on there myself?  I'd like people to be able to trace my stuff back to my portfolio, if nothing else.

1. Simone Smith profile image93
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I'm afraid that even if the image is your own, we do not allow watermarks. We find they typically detract from images, and the copyright is implicit, plus you still have the option to attribute yourself and re-state copyright in the source box of the Photo Capsule if you want to do something additional to reiterate your copyright.

Also, there are various services that enable you to put digital watermarks on images that are not visible- if watermarks are important to you, that's another option! big_smile

1. Amadaun profile image83
        Amadaunposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for making that clear!  I just wanted to be sure if there was a difference or not.

3. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

Unfortunately Hubpages does not allow watermarks or prominent text (like a url) on pictures.

4. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago

You can generally list the source as your own name, or your  Hubpages name. You can also list the source as "By Author". Any of these ways should suffice.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 3 years ago

Anytime I use one of my own photos in a Hub, I simply put "Source: Me" under it. It's worked fine so far.

6. 0
    Joanne M Olivieriposted 3 years ago

I'm pretty new here so I wasn't sure what to put on the source other than saying where I took the photos.  All of the photos in my hubs are my own so what I did was mention that fact in my profile bio.

7. Nancy Owens profile image87
    Nancy Owensposted 3 years ago

That is what I do: I just put my own name in the source box when it is a photo I took myself.

Also, if you have posted any pictures on You Tube, you can copy and past that URL into the box below the source name.