jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Advice to New Hubbers

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 3 years ago

I was reading this food blog today and was curious about the author.  She has a really cool faq page and offers this advice.
    I think the 3 most important things are to write about what you are passionate about, not what you think is “popular,” to write in your own conversational voice, and to make your pictures as outstanding as you can.

Very good advice.

1. Jamie Brock profile image95
      Jamie Brockposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I try to do these three things you pointed out on all of my hubs and I do believe it has contributed to my success here smile  My titles may need some tweaking but I never do keyword research. I just write about what I love and let it go at that and so far it seems to be working!

2. benashiraz profile image80
      benashirazposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I totally agree with the above advice. Thanks alot for that (:

2. vocalcoach profile image93
    vocalcoachposted 3 years ago

Wow!  This is such good advice. I especially agree with "write in your own voice".  As a vocal coach I impress singers to sing with their own unique style.  It just hit me to apply the same advice when I write. Thanks so much Paul for posting this.  I'm totally inspired and eager to "show what I've got."  I'm pumped!

3. timorous profile image91
    timorousposted 3 years ago

So true. However, you still have to write about subjects that enough readers want to read about, no matter how passionate you are about it. Good keyword research will bring the readers you want to reach to your articles, and hopefully share your passion with others.

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 3 years ago

I doubt she is doing keyword research, but look at how clear and concise her titles are  Great titles are 80%+ of it.  Really outstanding.

I really want to learn to take pictures like she does:)

5. 0
    summerberrieposted 3 years ago

Even the pictures of her mistakes are to die for...I'd love to have them.

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image92
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 3 years ago

Thanks for the reminder to have our hearts invested in our writing. Such a good way to focus as we go forward!

7. janshares profile image87
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing, Paul. The donut pic is to die for tongue I use my own images now whenever I can. I still have to fix several of my early hubs that don't have correct attribution with urls. I do find that writing in my own voice does make for hubs with the most comments.

8. Barbara Kay profile image83
    Barbara Kayposted 3 years ago

Wow! A personal blog and the front page has a PR of 5. That is an accomplishment.

9. livewirez profile image74
    livewirezposted 3 years ago

Thanks for sharing. A very nice advice for us new in hubpages.

10. leilabarda profile image60
    leilabardaposted 3 years ago

Thanks for the advise!