jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Organizing Article Content

1. doban profile image59
    dobanposted 3 years ago

Is it better to create a second HubPages account for a different content topic ( I write education related articles as well as business) or to just leave them all in one account?  When I was here before (I am returning to writing after taking time off to help my husband start a business), my articles were organized by topic but I see that is not the case anymore and I do not see any way to organize them.  Also, does it help Google search rankings if an article links back to a profile page with articles that are all related?  I really did look at the FAQ and learning center but did not find this addressed.

1. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You will get many answers on this one, all opinions.  Here's my own:
      While I have a definite niche on this (main) account, I'll put other topics there as well.  However, if I intend to write more than a handful, say 10 or so, hubs on a topic I'd rather start another account dedicated to that topic.

But you can do some organizing, at least for your own benefit.  Design and name a set of groups and put your hubs into them.  A group for cherry trees, a group for car repair, a group for trimming fingernails, etc.  If nothing else it will help you navigate and find specific hubs as the number of hubs grows on a single account.

2. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Everyone has a different style/approach on this, doban! All approaches have been seen to both succeed and fail miserably. It's all about execution (hint: make the best possible experience for your readers).

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Groups are still there, Look on your Statistics page and you'll see "Edit Groups"  next to the drop down box for "select an article group".

The decision to have more than one account has nothing to do with topics and everything to do with quantity, IMO.  Once you get near 200 Hubs, administration starts to become a headache because the list of Hubs gets too long.  In particular, if HubPages changes the rules (which they do every now and then), you suddenly have a huge revising job ahead of you. 

So if you see yourself writing large numbers of Hubs, it's worth opening more than one account now, and it's only sensible to organize them by topic so it's easy to remember which account a Hub is in. 

Organizing by topic isn't important for any other reason, because the bulk of your traffic won't come from people browsing around your account - it will come from search engines, and when those readers arrive at a Hub, they probably won't even notice who the article is written by.  They probably won't even notice the two grouped Hubs at the end of your Hub.  You need to encourage them to look at your other related Hubs by mentioning them in the text or including a links capsule listing them. 

Besides, if you have a large body of work on one topic, then you'd be much better advised to start your own blog.  These days, a blog which is focussed on one topic, with solid content, can attract more traffic than a HubPages account.  Your only challenge is learning how to monetize it (which HubPages does for you).

2. tiffanyz profile image59
    tiffanyzposted 3 years ago

Hi Dohan
    I think keeping things as simple as possible is the best.  I write about a lot of topics and I only have one account

3. faythef profile image73
    faythefposted 3 years ago

I only have one account , with a variety of topics...but I agree with Wilderness..makes sense to me.