jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (11 posts)

Can anyone suggest a decent lightweight database to track hub content?

1. Paul Maplesden profile image91
    Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago

This is possibly a bit of a longshot, but I am wondering if anyone here can help with this:

I am finding that I need to track more and more information about my huibs, including:

- Name, title, URL etc.
    - Where I have previously shared them and when (G+ communities, Facebook groups etc.)
    - Metrics (Page views, likes, plusses)
    - Elements of the guides (links to other hubs etc.)

I will probably have around 50-60 individual pieces of information per hub and it is becoming unwieldy to do this in a spreadsheet (which was my previous type of record keeping), so I am looking for another solution.

Ideally, I'd like a light weight, simple to configure database or something similar; I don't want to have to get into programming and data linking (not a big fan of Access or anything like that), but the database would need to:

- Be easily configurable
    - Be easy to customise
    - Allow multiple tabs where I can add fields / content
    - Allow outputs, ideally to a spreadsheet
    - Be sortable / filterable on any field
    - Be free or cheap(!)
    - Ideally be cloud based (rather than local install), although that isn't a deal-breaker and I can work with local install if there's nothing decent that's cloud based

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

1. SimeyC profile image90
      SimeyCposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Do you work for a corporation that has a license for Microsoft Office? Usually if they have a license you as an employee can buy a discounted full version of Office (about $10) - this would then include Microsoft Access.

I just saw that you don't like Access - sadly most of the database will have similar functionality.....

..Access does come with templates that could probably be adapted.

I would say that you could still do everything you want using some of the DATA functions of Excel - there are some great sort functions, conditional functions etc....

2. SimeyC profile image90
    SimeyCposted 4 years ago

I also found this - which uses Google spreadsheets as a database.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWCLROPKug0

I have'nt checked the video out though...

Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hmm, that's *very* interesting! Thanks for sharing.

You have given me an idea for a hub though - wait a few days and I'll have a hub showing how to create a database in Excel!!!

3. Paul Maplesden profile image91
    Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago

My work here is done!

The other thing to consider, if you're using Excel, is still create the data in one worksheet and then use Pivot Tables to analize the data - they are pretty powerful!!!

1. AMFredenburg profile image79
        AMFredenburgposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Here's another Hub for you, Simey C: "What Is a Pivot Table"?

big_smile Already have one called "How to use pivot tables in Microsoft Excel" - didn't want to self promote too much!!!

Paul Maplesdenposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I do like me some pivot table action!

Unfortunately, 50 columns in Excel is just getting awkward! I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and brave the choppy waters if Access...

You can turn Excel into a relational dB by having a common element in each worksheet tab and then using Pivot Tables to combine the data....

working