jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Too Many Tags

1. rockinjoe profile image85
    rockinjoeposted 7 years ago

The Hub Police just pulled me over again this evening. This time I had too many tags. Here's what they had to say.

"Your hub may not be in compliance with our publishing guidelines. Please review the message below, and correct the problem if possible.
    WARNING: This hub has a large number of tags. [learn more]
    This Hub has a large number of tags. Please verify that they are all relevant and specific to the content of this Hub. Irrelevant or excessive tagging may affect your HubScore, or result in a Deceptively Tagged/Titled flag."

I believe all my tags are relevant because I placed them there. Now if there is a tag limit, why not limit tags automatically instead of suggesting more? Must I remove tags, or will I receive some sort of penalty?

My apologies if I missed this information earlier.

2. Christoph Reilly profile image85
    Christoph Reillyposted 7 years ago

Yeah, I got that warning once.  Thing is, I had other hubs with more tags than that one, so I'm not sure what triggers it.  I try to keep it around 20 or less.

3. Misha profile image76
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

It depends on the length of a hub. Either remove some tags, or add some text. smile

4. rockinjoe profile image85
    rockinjoeposted 7 years ago

Strange. I believe I have hubs with more tags than the flagged one as well. I know how to fix the problem, but I'm not happy about it. I know why the feature is in place, but I wish HP would limit tags if they have a problem with your using too many.

Question for HP: How many is too many?

5. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 7 years ago

Was it just an automated message, or did you get an actual email from hubpages asking you to remove the tags?

1. rockinjoe profile image85
      rockinjoeposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Automated, like a duplicate content message. I wouldn't have known, except I just happened to check my stats on that particular hub. It would be nice to be notified by email.

It didn't even ask me to remove tags, but verify them, which there doesn't seem to be a way to do.

UPDATE: I removed 7-8 tags and the warning went away. I'm looking to see what that does to my traffic and score.