jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Google Ads Promoting Scraping Site

1. ThePracticalMommy profile image94
    ThePracticalMommyposted 3 years ago

Marina and moderators,

I was reading a hub that was categorized under affiliate marketing and was very disturbed to see the Google ads at the bottom promoting a scraping site, as shown here:

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7766159_f248.jpg

The hub itself was legitimate and had nothing to do with scraping from other pages or sites. Is this particular ad something that should be reported to Google? Heaven knows we deal with enough content stealing around here!

[I am using Chrome. I didn't want to post the link of the hub here since it wasn't the problem; the ad was the problem. If you need me to email you the link, please tell me to whom I should direct the email. Thanks!]

~Marissa

1. Marina Lazarevic profile image86
      Marina Lazarevicposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hey Marissa! Web scraping is a legitimate way to collect data from other websites.

However, if you ever feel an AdSense ad is inappropriate, you can report it by clicking the "AdChoices" icon in the top right or bottom left of the ad.

ThePracticalMommyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I had no idea. It just seemed fishy to me.  Thanks for your reply and suggestion!

2. paradigmsearch profile image88
    paradigmsearchposted 3 years ago

I made a post such as yours awhile back. Turns out there are actually legitimate business uses for such. I've forgotten what they were. Maybe someone else can toss that info in.

ThePracticalMommyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Interesting. Thanks for letting me know!

3. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 3 years ago

Sorry, apropos of nothing, but do the super compressed, non-clickable thumbnails for HubPages images drive anyone else batty? Completely useless.

4. psycheskinner profile image81
    psycheskinnerposted 3 years ago

I think the tag line "will scrape data even if it blocks" suggests a less than legal use of the tool.  Because you would only block the scrapers IP if you do not want it to access your site.

working