jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (26 posts)

Do we know what is causing drastic traffic drops?

1. GinnyLee profile image94
    GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/7766884_f248.jpg

I thought if it was Panda, that other folks would see similar results.  I had a pretty good drop in November/December and another one started yesterday.  Traffic is less than 1/3 of what it has been.

If it follows the same trend as last time, it will bounce back a bit higher.

I did publish a few hubs recently, and I hadn't published much in quite a while.

Any idea what causes these dips and how to avoid them?  As the graph shows, the last time this hit, traffic bounced back VERY quickly and higher than ever.

1. torrilynn profile image79
      torrilynnposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I think that traffic can be due to weather conditions, glitches, people not using backlinks, and other sorts.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yep.  And the price of tea in China, the phase of the moon and where Saturn is in the sky.

Sometimes there really doesn't seem to be a valid reason.  And, to be honest, hindsight can sometimes figure out a reason.

2. teamWork profile image83
      teamWorkposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I just checked my graph and find traffic curve is up-rising....

2. Randy Godwin profile image92
    Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago

The sky is falling......

GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago in reply to this

I hope I did not come across that way.  I don't think it is.

I was curious what is causing these temporary drastic drops?  It will work its way back up, but I would like to know if it is something that I did, or if there is another reason.

2. LisaMarie724 profile image85
      LisaMarie724posted 4 years ago in reply to this

I got an umbrella Randy! lol

3. Cantuhearmescream profile image84
    Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago

GinnyLee,
    I'm assuming that HubPages is having their own technical problems today. I have been posting, commenting, refreshing and reloading all day but my profile says, "last seen 14 hours ago". I'm thinking "I'm right here! I'm right here!" My numbers in my hub traffic haven't even moved today, my notifications are all 9 years old and better and my Hub Profile dropped, probably for "inactivity" though I have been on pathetically most of the day.

1. Randy Godwin profile image92
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years ago in reply to this

This has become a regular feature on HP.  Sometimes it lasts for several days.  Ho-hum!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image93
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Mine says last updated nine hours ago.  It seems the stalled numbers hit on weekends, from what I can tell.  Strange.

2. Cantuhearmescream profile image84
        Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

So I guess I can accept this as the norm and not stress when it happens? Just out of curiosity; does it affect our actually readings, ie hub traffic and hub profile, does it appear that we aren't contributing when we are?

No to all, although I suppose it's possible that HP slipped up and allows the algorithms setting hub and hubber score to use improper traffic figures.

Eventually they will catch up, and you will be credited with all the traffic and earnings.  Although I'm not so sure about the notifications being 9 years late... big_smile

1. Cantuhearmescream profile image84
            Cantuhearmescreamposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Ha, did I say years, I meant hours. It's been a long day. But thank you for the comfort. I will sleep easy tonight, whenever that may be. I don't think I will go to bed until HP recognizes I've been here today,...hope this isn't a multiple day thing :-)

smile

It could be - multiple days mostly seem to happen on the weekends, probably because no one is around to fix it.

2. GinnyLee profile image94

Thanks.  My drop in traffic started yesterday, but was up ~50% from its lows when the stats froze.  Every so often, I will see a huge drop and a very quick bounce back up.  I assume it is Google-related, but I find it odd.

4. GinnyLee profile image94
    GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago

I would really like to know what is causing these wild swings.  My views have tripled in the past 24 hours as part of a broad based increase.  Several days ago, virtually all of my hubs had blue arrows.  Today, virtually all of the have red arrows as traffic improves.

I assume it is some sort of a google action, but I sure would like to know...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7783101_f248.jpg

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

Search Engine Watch says "Keep on your analytics over the next few days. If you see an unexplainable surge in traffic, it could indicate that Panda is about to maul your website."

1. wrenfrost56 profile image82
      wrenfrost56posted 4 years ago in reply to this

Maul..... big_smile Love it relache, very apt.

6. GinnyLee profile image94
    GinnyLeeposted 4 years ago via iphone

Joy. Here's to a good mauling!

7. lorddraven2000 profile image89
    lorddraven2000posted 4 years ago

My traffic has dropped a good deal. Last month I was doing great this month I am having a hard time getting the traffic like I usually do. No real clue as to the why.

8. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 4 years ago

Traffic seems incredibly capricious. I'm still doing all right but I've had a real cooling off period since around Tuesday of this week after being a bit "hot" recently. Nothing major but I do have some raised eyebrows, especially since they've announced a Panda update coming any second now.

9. Will Apse profile image90
    Will Apseposted 4 years ago

My traffic is ten or twenty per cent below normal. I'm worried that stuff about 'merchants' in the announcement might also mean affiliates. Although, it might just mean sites like nextag.

10. Dean Traylor profile image82
    Dean Traylorposted 4 years ago

These sites have a tendency to fluctuate. I don't think it's one factor, either. It can be anything (or a combination) from the interest of the reader to changes in algorithms. On another site, there were several policy changes that affected traffic. So far, I've been on this site for 10 months. I know the availability of certain icon links to social medias or bookmarking systems have vanished. That's a possibility for the decline.

11. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 4 years ago

Saw a bit of a change yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't very large.  Google had previously said today or Monday.

For folks that see big swings outside of Panda, that's likely the normal algorithm.  Subdomains can break out, a high performing hub can have a change etc...

@ginnylee -  Looked at your stats and it seems your site did one of these big drops in December then recovered.  Then did another big drop and then came back recently.  We've seen subdomains with these big U shaped traffic swings in the past.  It seems like you are on the threshold of something google likes/doesn't like.  Not sure what it is.

well, that's not good....

12. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 4 years ago

I want to be in  an upswing...........should I send Goggle a box of cookies?..................smile

Anyway I have given up on trying to predict anything.  I'm just writing and publishing at least one hub per day and hoping for the best!

working