jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Getting my Hubpages Account Started with a Challenge

1. oscar86 profile image61
    oscar86posted 3 years ago

Decided to take Wilderness' advice and just focus on learning more about Hubpages before attempting a challenge.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Personally, I think your first challenge should be to read the learning center in it's entirety, study it until you understand it thoroughly and then move on to hubs written on similar subjects.  You can easily fill your first month with that task, and it will do more to produce readership and traffic than any 30 hubs you might write without understanding the information there.

Learn about how people read on the internet (it's most definitely not like reading a book), learn how google works.  Learn some basic SEO and how to promote your work.  Learn how to use Amazon and eBay effectively (if you're looking for income) rather than simply throw an ad in here and there.  Learn how to use the writing tools offered by HP effectively and what works best for readers and search engines.  Learn how to use photos properly and legally.

I'll stop, but that's not the end of the list - it's not even half of it.  Write a hub or three as you go, to pound in what you're learning and practice the techniques, but making learning the priority for a month or so instead of pounding out content that no one will ever see or appreciate if they DO find it.

1. Simone Smith profile image92
        Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

That is FANTASTIC advice, wilderness. Thanks for sharing it!!! You rock! big_smile

2. oscar86 profile image61
    oscar86posted 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. This is not my first writing site so like to believe that I have a basic understanding of SEO, Adsense and such. I did search through the learning center for a few things that I don't understand but thanks for recommending Amazon and E-bay since I don't understand how to use them well (I haven't even configured E-Bay yet).

I do have 1 other question that I hope you can answer. In the article up at the top of the page I got the pictures from Fotor. Do I still need to cite where it came from as they said I could use them free of charge. I haven't cited them as of now but if I need to then I hope I can do that as soon as possible.

1. Simone Smith profile image92
      Simone Smithposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If you have the legal right to use images from a particular source that does not require attribution, you don't need to attribute them. big_smile

That said, on HubPages we need to see attribution and license type disclosure (plus a link back to the source) if we are to give something a contest prize or name it a Hub of the Day, because it's the only way we can know for sure if the image has been legally used (we have to be able to check).

In general, I'd recommend citing your images as recommended here: hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

But again, all you're legally required to do is adhere to the stipulations any particular image is given by its owner. big_smile

1. oscar86 profile image61
        oscar86posted 3 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for clearing that up smile I'll try and find the pictures I used and cite them. And maybe 1 day I will get a Hub of the Day tongue