jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

Broken Links...

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image91
    DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago

The trouble with trying to write "timely" articles about things such as current news, is that links you provide to the source get broken!

This just happened to me today--I had written an article about the meteor that exploded over Russia, complete with a link to a very interesting video taken as it was happening, and today, that capsule got a broken link warning, so I had to delete it.

I feel it was an integral part of the article--how do I find out where that video got moved, so I can re-link it?

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

If they left no "forwarding addres" - redirect - I would assume it's gone forever and look for something else.  Just one of the hazards of using someone else's work (which we all do quite often).

DzyMsLizzyposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Ah, phooey--
          Thanks, wilderness...I was afraid of something like that.  I actually was peeved that I had gotten the notification, so I simply deleted the capsule without trying the link...so I guess in any case it's gone for good now...  Pffft...

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Shouldn't have done that, Dzy.  There is always a chance that when the test was made (resulting in the notice) that the server was down for some reason.  Always at least re-check or even wait a day or two on links outside of HP.

Yeah, I know--sometimes my temper gets the better of me.... sad  mad

2. tirelesstraveler profile image87
      tirelesstravelerposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Try doing a search on YouTube.

I'll try that, tt, thanks...

2. A Karpinski profile image93
    A Karpinskiposted 3 years ago

Media is annoyingly fast; things come and go regularly and sometimes the things you need to stay just won't. The only suggestion I would have is to constantly check links and then find similar content if you need to. There should be plenty of videos of the Russian meteor.
    Good luck!

Thanks much, A Karpinski....I'll have a look around....

3. tillsontitan profile image91
    tillsontitanposted 3 years ago

Ditto....it is frustrating when your link's source disappears.  I sometimes just delete but when it is a video I try to find another to take it's place.

working