jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Mystery Shopper Scam

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
    LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago

Just wanted others to be aware of this since it seems that they are getting our contact information from HP
    You get a letter from 
    1202-3707 Steeles Ave Toronto,Ont. L4L 8K8

Inside there is a check $1670.00 (amounts can vary) It's an official looking check from SEFCU
    The letter is for a mystery shopper project that asks you to contact them within 24 hours for instructions, check validation and such and sets some stores like Wal-Mart, Sears and Money Gram. The fees are broken down as such:
    Evaluation and training $390.00
    Sears purchase $100.00
    Walmart purchase $100.00
    Money Gram $970.00
    Money Gram services fees from $10.00 to $110.00
    Total amount $1670.00

The letter goes on to ask you to shop the stores and send the $970.00 Money Gram to "Irene Campbell", London, England.
    I ran a check on the telephone numbers 1-855-853-3633 fax 1-360-392-6003. The number 1-855-853-3633 does not lead to anyone and the fax number shows up in some forums as a "mystery shopper scam"

The problem is that although you can deposit the check and it will clear in a couple of days (legit Mystery Shopper regulations) it takes the banks some weeks to actually determine the check to be fraudulent and you are stuck with the charges for whatever you buy (including the $970 plus) that you wire to England.

Real Mystery Shopper projects pay an average of $15 to $30 flat fees and you never have to send or wire any money anywhere.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 3 years ago

I got that email. I have known for a while that mystery shopping is a scam so I just ignored it smile

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago in reply to this

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.  There are the lotto, mystery shopper, FedEx, FBI letter, and many miscellaneous scams.   Just ignore and delete.......delete.......

3. innerspin profile image88
    innerspinposted 3 years ago

Luis, thanks for taking the time to post this. Just wondering, why do you think they may be targeting HP members? How would they find the details? I hope their efforts are a massive failure.

Uninvited Writer, not all mystery shopping is a scam. I used to work as a mystery shopper. Yes, there are fake adverts, but also real work. You just have to be careful, as with so many things in life.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image80
      LuisEGonzalezposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Because I did not apply and a name on the letter is similar to one of my hub visitors.