jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Posting articles in other places

1. madscientist12 profile image93
    madscientist12posted 3 years ago

When I publish an article on hubpages, am I allowed to use my articles in other places, such as magazines, school publications, or other websites?

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Hubpages duplicate content policy does not allow you to publish your material on another website. Also as Marissa's points out, it wouldn't be a good idea anyways.

Concerning print publications, I sold one of my Hubs to a print publication. When I contacted Hubpages about it, they told me that their duplication policy only applies online. So I was able to publish the hub in print and on Hubapges.

1. David 470 profile image86
        David 470posted 3 years ago in reply to this

I did not know you would be able to publish a hub in print.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago

It would be pointless to publish them anywhere else online.

When you publish the same article in two places, Google looks at them and chooses one. 

Say you publish an article here and then publish it again on your blog.  Google might decide to ignore the version on HubPages - which means you'd earn virtually no money on it, because Google is your main source of visitors. 

You are free to publish the article in hard-copy magazines.

1. chasmac profile image98
      chasmacposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I always feel it's unfair of Google to do that. They should choose the one with the earlier publication date as anything published later must be a duplicate. I was getting good traffic on one hub and then suddenly it dropped to zero because a bigger site stole it. Google featured the stolen copy  prominently and demoted me to that hidden corner of 'omitted less relevant results' that nobody ever goes to. I took action and got it fixed but I wouldn't have had to do that if Google had penalised them instead of me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 3 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you.   You wouldn't think it would be that hard for Google to work out which one was published first, would you?  But it seems to be the case.

3. Simone Smith profile image91
    Simone Smithposted 3 years ago

What they said!

Online: Big no-no (though you can always un-publish your Hub if you end up putting it somewhere else).

Offline: Go ahead!

4. Santiniketan profile image61
    Santiniketanposted 3 years ago

Right...but...i m just asking, if i have copy right?

1. chasmac profile image98
      chasmacposted 3 years ago in reply to this

Yes - the copyright is always yours.

5. Shravan Picsonia profile image61
    Shravan Picsoniaposted 3 years ago

If you really want to put it somewhere else, then delete it on hubpages and then try!

6. chasmac profile image98
    chasmacposted 3 years ago

A potential problem I see with publishing offline in magazines, etc., in addition to HubPages is that most magazines also have an online presence. Having paid for an article, they may feel they have the right to publish it online too, or even a part of it for promotional purposes.

1. spartucusjones profile image91
      spartucusjonesposted 3 years ago in reply to this

You will need to specify that you are NOT granting the publication the right to publish the article online. Otherwise, if publishing it online is one of the condition of the sale, you would need to unpublished it on Hubpages. You will need to work out these terms before agreeing to the sale.

7. LucidDreams profile image83
    LucidDreamsposted 3 years ago

Duplicate content is a scary idea to online publishers. Hubpages for one does not allow this. Although many seasoned writers will tell you that duplicate content is a bad thing. content curation has been happening for quite some time and is utilized by almost all of the big publishers online including Yahoo news and the "Huffington Post". This, in a sense is STILL duplicate content yet it will rank high if done properly.

If you plan on publishing content elsewhere, I would suggest using a blog for your original pieces and then re-publishing this on the other sites of your choice. Don't let the duplicate content forces scare you, it's always better to have original but at the same time, many news organizations find useful articles and re-publish them giving credit back to the owner of said content!