Hub Hopping

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (15 posts)
  1. PaulWFitzpatrick profile image60
    PaulWFitzpatrickposted 11 years ago

No stranger to writing sites, I have noticed one fairly unique feature here in Hub Hopping.  I have checked it out, gotten addicted and then started wondering what exactly I'm doing as there is really no explanation on the Hopper itself.  I have looked for 3 days on FAQ and Learning center and only the most basic of explanations can be found. 

It gently tells you to help out the "community" and Hop some Hubs.  O.K., I'm game.  I enjoy editing almost as much as writing but this isn't an editing tool. So what is it? 

1) Are the articles I'm hopping published already?  I hope not as around 25% of the Hubs I've Hopped are obviously artificially generated spam organisms. 
    2) Are the Hubbers aware of who is Hopping them? When asked to edit a piece, I like to give encouragement and offer alternatives to perhaps structure or word use.  This offers nothing in those areas, never mind spelling and such.  If someone wants help I want to give it and not just trash something with a tool and move on. 
    3) Is Hopping somehow looked upon favorably?  Is it really providing a service to the community or just another distraction from writing and being a dad?  What am I accomplishing and how exactly.

There are many other questions but this should at least point me in a direction so I thank you in advance.  Anyone with vast Hopping experience or who share this addiction I want to hear from as well as those who may be turned off by the whole thing.  If I missed a learning link or FAQ you can point me there also but I really did try to avoid a forum discussion and being such an obvious newbie...

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, they are pending or have been revised and resubmitted.  The hopper is to sort them out before they become "featured"

No, the author is not aware of who is hopping them. Comments can't be provided while in hopper, but you could always search the hub later and comment then.

Umm... it depends on who you ask.  Hopping gives feedback to HP and helps clear the pending queue (which gets hubs "featured" more quickly.  But, there are some that feel the ratings are arbitrary and dislike the system.  Hopping by hubbers also potentially reduces the costs to HP for having the hubs rated by Mechanical Turk.  So yes it is beneficial, but not always looked upon favorably smile

There are many people around that would be happy to answer any questions you might have.  A forum question about hopping is far from the most useless subject these forums have ever seen smile

1. Simone Smith profile image88
        Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the balanced assessment, MelissaBarrett. It is indeed true that not everyone views the Hopper favorably, so I'm glad you brought that up.

That said, we wouldn't have a feature if we did not believe that it is making a big difference and helping Hubbers become stronger, more successful online content creators. It's not fun having a Hub not Featured, but it's also not fun having a manuscript rejected by a publisher. That doesn't mean publishers shouldn't have editors review work and decide what should be published and what shouldn't.

2. PaulWFitzpatrick profile image60
        PaulWFitzpatrickposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow...that was quick!  Thank you Melissa!  This definitely helps me out.  I'm sure my hyper focus will wane but some of the Hubs are so ludicrous that I like to get rid of them.  At the same time there is some nice content so I like to help it along.  Thanks again....

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
          MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Glad to help smile BTW, Simone is right, they are published just not featured yet. Sorry for the misspeak..er mistype... whatever. smile

2. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

1. Actually, the Hubs in the Hopper *are* published- they're just not necessarily Featured (many are).
      2. Hubbers do not know who is hopping their Hubs, and at this point, they do not know what quality ratings their Hubs get (aside from seeing if their Hubs might be Featured because they got sufficiently high quality ratings from Hoppers)
      3. Hopping helps a lot! Your rating (if we gauge it to be accurate) can mean the difference between being Featured on HubPages and not being Featured (a Featured Hub is shown on Topic Pages and related Hubs and is also made available to search engines).

By Hopping Hubs, Hubbers help other Hubbers (by giving them a shot at being Featured or preventing their more... embarrassing work from getting coverage that might hurt their reputations), learn more about what it takes to write a high quality Hub (by critically rating the works of others), and improve the overall quality of our site.

Thank you also Simone. I guess my question would be why would a "spun" or artificial submission even make it that far?  Doesn't the site have software to weed that stuff out?  In the last 2 days I have seen pieces that have a first paragraph that may make a bit of sense and then just explode into gibberish (or close to) from there.  That's part of the reason I even asked the question.  I wasn't sure this Hopping was actually performing any service.  thanks again..

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The hopper is part of the "software" being used.  A human part, to be sure, but a part of the entire process.

I can dig it...

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Well, right or wrong, I just gave this one very high marks. I hope I did right.

http://hubpages.com/hop/#/Stanislav-Pet … Never-Knew

Loved that piece....so I would've been ranking high on it as well.  Not that I have to love a piece, it just has to stick to message, show some decent grammar and structure and have some appealing media.

3. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 11 years ago

Does Hub Hoping help your Hub Score?  If not what activities do improve hub scores?

Good questions....hope someone answerst them....thanks to all who have jumped on so far!

4. ContriveIT profile image61
    ContriveITposted 11 years ago

Haven't been here long but I have picked up on a few things right away:

1: not published yet.

2. Yes, if they are using google analytics or just checking the hub stats, the referrer will show as hubbername.hubpages.com but it doesn't show what your ratings are.

3. hub hopping is strictly a community event. it seems to help your score when you hop, post forums, answer questions, etc... now what the points are used for... hmmmm... only that dos equis guy probably knows.  Ive heard that 80+ will allow dofollow backlinks but i've yet to verify as I hang at 79.

interesting.....thanks!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)