What is the maximum and minimum article lenght accepted in HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (31 posts)
  1. youssefdoukkali profile image56
    youssefdoukkaliposted 11 years ago

I just wanted to know how small and how big an article can be without being rejected.

1. Simone Smith profile image86
      Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The minimum depends on the Topic in which the Hub exists (photo galleries, for example, have different minimum requirements).

We have no maximum.

We recommend going above at least 700 words in each Hub, ideally above 1150, as janshares shares! big_smile

youssefdoukkaliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you.

2. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

I think it recently changed to 700. For a stellar hub, you want at least 1150 but that may have changed, too. I believe a little grace is given to recipe hubs, though.

Thank you.

3. Boisegal profile image80
    Boisegalposted 11 years ago

I was wondering too.  It seems like anything below 350 won't get featured.  1150!  I've got work to do!

Yeah 1150 is too much work lol

1. FatFreddysCat profile image94
        FatFreddysCatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Pffft. Most of my hubs are around 1000 words and I've never felt that it's "too much work." If you truly enjoy writing, the words should come easily enough.

It depends on what you write.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even if it is featured, anything under about 350 words isn't likely to get picked up by Google.

4. faythef profile image70
    faythefposted 11 years ago

Wow I had no idea..seems I'm coming up a little short in most of my hubs..

1. Marisa Wright profile image84

You're not unusual.  HubPages is not a blogging site,  but many people assume that a Hub should be like a blog post.  It's not.  A Hub should be like a feature article in a good quality magazine.

5. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 11 years ago

I don't worry about word count.  I try to write the best article I can, and provide as much information as I can so that my readers are satisfied that I have covered the topic thoroughly.  This usually means I write a lot of words!

Since I am not writing a school assignment and can choose my own topics, I have no trouble with writing more than 1,000 words.

6. billd01603 profile image78
    billd01603posted 11 years ago

You want it long enough to tell the entire story, but short enough that the reader doesn't lose interest. I have read Hubs that started out interesting but just ran too long. Usually, I try to finish a fellow hubbers Hub, but remember the goal is to make your Hubs searchable so that the majority of readers are not hubbers. If they get board with your Hub, it so easy for them to click away and not click on the ads that accompany it. I pay very little attention to the number of words. I only check them when my text is finished.

In a nutshell, when you finish the Hub it should be well written, with grammar and spelling correct and it should be interesting. Ask yourself one question: " Would I read it start to finish?"

7. VVanNess profile image77
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

I don't think there is a limit. However I would try and stick as close to the 1250 they recommend as possible. smile Like they say in their training articles: Customers want some good content so they recommend about 1250, but it the article is too long, customers won't be interested any longer. If you have an article that long to type, try and figure out how to break it up into pieces. You might just end up with 2 or 3 articles!

Oh now it has  became 1250 words not 1150 smile

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I have recently had hubs under 300 words pass QAP.  It just depends.

300 words with 15 pics or not? smile

9. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

When I go to modify one of my hubs and I notice the word count is near one of the goals, I feel compelled to add enough words to reach that goal and get another purdy, green check mark. In other words, HP is messing with our minds. big_smile

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I don't have a problem with filling up 1000+ words; my difficulties lie in the opposite direction.  Brevity is not my strong suit, hence I find Twitter VERY difficult.

Nobody understood my question I see.  My question was about  the maximum and minimum article lenght accepted in HubPages. Article length may vary according to  the content. I have no problem writing 2200 words my problem is knowing the upper and lower limit.  So 1000 words maybe cause a problem if my idea doesn't need that amount of words.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Your question was understood; it is just that it is a "suggested" minimum with no particular maximum.  It is flexible to a great degree.
        You just want to avoid making your article so short that it seems more like a dictionary or encyclopedia definition than an explanatory piece.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84

There is no set minimum or maximum, only recommended limits which are between 400 and 1,500 words.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly what I was trying to impart....

11. theluckywriter profile image69
    theluckywriterposted 11 years ago

I think that one of my hubs is waaaaaay too long at 2955 words.  Haha! But I just can't figure out what to cut out.

I only have 5 featured hubs so far. Three of them are somewhere around 1000 to 2000 words, one is almost 3000 words, and the shortest one is only about 500 words. Strangely enough, the shortest one currently has the highest hubscore. Who knows?  smile

Don't cut - split instead.

It's pretty rare that you can write nearly 3,000 words on just one aspect of one topic (unless you have verbal diarrhoea, which I'm sure is not the case).   

If you've written a good Hub which is properly illustrated with images and videos, anything over 1,500 words will require an awful lot of scrolling down and readers are unlikely to stay with you.   Ask yourself, could I split up the Hub into different aspects of my topic, to make it easier to read?

12. jakkadan profile image58
    jakkadanposted 11 years ago

hey there, theluckywriter,
    i was reading an amazon kindle popular author's advice on this very subject the other day n' she is of the opinion if your article is engaging and topical, and how2/help or fiction, it doesn't matter how long it is, it will get read with very little negative feebak, i think it is more for company'z like ezine n' the like are the that say they can be too long.
    if it is any help i have only published 3 hubz and the shortest one is 1200 and my last one was 3200 albeit my score not quite so good on this last one, doh!! I probably need to put in some pretty pictures. ;-)
    a well wishing newbie hubber, ;-/   {^_^}
    kind n' warm regardz
    peter 'jakkadan' edyvane

13. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

from my understanding, a good seo article is about 300 - 500 words - if you need to you can to to about a thousand or so, but i wouldn't make it too long...people reading it won't really read it...people like to skim

14. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

from my understanding, a good seo article is about 300 - 500 words - if you need to you can to to about a thousand or so, but i wouldn't make it too long...people reading it won't really read it...people like to skim

I think you're confusing a good article and a good blog post.  Last year one Hubber did some testing and found that Hubs over 800 words did best.

15. LongTimeMother profile image92
    LongTimeMotherposted 11 years ago

It hardly seems worth the effort of clicking on a hub that has less than 500 words and one illustration that's not unique. It's a bit like going for a meal and being served a peanut. There's nothing to get your teeth into. smile

Unless it is a photo hub (with properly credited photos). At least with a bunch of original and relevant photos, you can feel as though you have learned something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)