jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Constructive criticism needed please!

1. john.jackson profile image82
    john.jacksonposted 4 years ago

Hi,
    I've made two hubs based on radiation (nuclear physics). They're aimed at people who are relatively new to the topic. I was wondering, therefore, if you would be kind enough to give them a read and offer any advice or alert me to any assumptions I've made that aren't apparent to a newbie to the subject.

http://johnjackson.hubpages.com/hub/The … -Radiation
    http://johnjackson.hubpages.com/hub/Alpha-Radiation

Thank you in advance!

John

2. chasmac profile image99
    chasmacposted 4 years ago

Hi - here's a couple of observations.
    One of your quiz questions (about alpha particles) has a wrong answer, which someone pointed out a couple of months ago and you haven't fixed yet.

People don't talk about smoke alarms 'going off' for the reason you mentioned. The vast majority of people don't know how they work and talk about them 'going off' in the same way that they talk about any alarm going off, whether it's a smoke alarm, car alarm, burglar alarm, etc.

You mention that beta particles in a nuclear reactor pool can travel faster than the speed of light. I think you need to provide a reference for that as it contradicts Einstein's claim that nothing can travel faster than light.

john.jacksonposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for such a thorough read! Just fixed the quiz. You may be correct about the alarm 'going off', but is that not also because most alarm systems are triggered when some sort of circuit is broken, be it contacts on a door connected to a burglar alarm, but point taken, I might need to read up more on that.

I've just tried to clarify that sentence on the blue glow in reactor pools. It read before "...due to high speed beta particles moving faster than the speed of light in water", I've now changed it to "due to high speed beta particles moving faster than that of light travelling through water. This can occur because light travels at 75% of its speed in a vacuum when in water and beta radiation can, therefore, surpass this speed without breaking the speed of light in a vacuum, c."

Thanks again for the help!

Ah, sorry, you are correct about alarms going off. It relates to the fact that they have started, i.e. 'started off' - just like a bomb goes off.

2. chasmac profile image99
        chasmacposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Yes, that's much clearer - interesting too. I hadn't known that about the reactor pools.
        One more for the road... You've said that the alpha radiation in smoke alarms is not harmless. I think you meant to say "not harmful".

Haha thank you for all the help, I'll make that change later (on my mobile at the moment).

working