HP Get this DELETED NOW

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (155 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

To make a long story short.  I have a hub Dog Walking Tips and Advice: big deal right......as you scroll to the bottom of the hub there is a hub listed "10 ways to get rid of a dog". 

Um, this is a disgusting and absolutely not-so-funny hub and I have requested that it be deleted off of my hub however to no avail.   I don't want to be associated with any type of hub such as this.  I have written HP but no answers.  What to do....What to do

1. Stacie L profile image88
      Stacie Lposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just looked at the hub in question and I agree with you. it doesn't belong. I also have some that I feel don't belong. I guess it depends on some keywords. I'd like to know how to remove inappropriate related Hubs as well

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It would be nice if we were allowed to choose which hubs appeared in our feed.

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I just read that Hub about "getting rid of your pet"; it's offensive and dumb, and not funny even if it wasn't offensive. Maybe you should report it. I did that with one, and only one, hub which I considered over the top offensive (probably by most people's standards).

Edit: Just scrolled down and saw that you flagged that hub already. Dr. Mark might be right about putting that hubber on the blacklist; I don't know if it just excludes them from the "others you might like" or it gets rid of them from being associated with your work altogether. Maybe test it.

1. profile image0
        Sarra Garrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks NateB11 maybe you could flag it as well as inappropriate, let's all get on the bandwagon on this one.  No it's not funny at all even if it was listed under 'humor' there is nothing humorous about it.

4. profile image0
      Rayne123posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I cant find the hub in question at all

5. aravindb1982 profile image76
      aravindb1982posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Here is how to avoid that hub.
      Go to your 'Profile' and click on "Edit Profile" on the top right.

There is a "others you might like" blacklist. You have 3 choices to make. Add that hubber who is disturbing you in one of the boxes and hope for the best.

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thought that was just to keep certain authors off of your profile page (?). Hopefully it will work for her.

6. KrysDwrites profile image76
      KrysDwritesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think people will get the wrong idea about you because of that article. After all, you're article is offering something clearly positive: dog walking tips.

That said, I totally understand your concern that the link is there on your Hub. Especially if you are an animal lover. I myself own a lovely 2-year-old German Shepherd. If I had to give her up (I hope I never have to), I know she would have a good, safe home with the uncle who gave her to me.

7. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When I first saw this thread I thought it was talking about my hub "How to Get Rid of Your Dog." (It's not the hub in question) The title sounds harsh, but it is about what to do when you can't keep your dog. Nobody searches for that, but a few people do search my title.

8. profile image0
      delleaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe the whole solution to these kinds of problems is (a) HP should only show related hubs at the bottom that are in the same subcategory as the hubs we publish, and (b) when HP reviews hubs they should pay closer attention to make sure a new hub is in the correct category in the first place. Currently it appears that suggested hubs at the bottom are related by keywords instead of by category, which seems to produce random results and may be a mistake in my opinion. Also, the hub in question is supposedly a satire about getting rid of pets, if HP read the hub and saw that context, then maybe they should have either suggested a category change to the author, or they should have simply re-classified the hub in the proper category for the author... enough said.

9. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Satire. Looks like some people have had their sense of humour surgically removed. big_smile

10. tsadjatko profile image66
      tsadjatkoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarra the real problem here is that they are linking your hub to a hub not in your category - the questionable hub is listed under humor - why should that be referenced under your hub listing of Animal Care and Safety? Maybe you should press that point with them. The hub "10 Ways To Get Rid Of A Pet" has nothing to do with  Animal Care and Safety (that is if you can ever reach them - a problem I have encountered often and when I do get a response they never actually answer all my questions. It's like they don't read past my first sentence)

11. snakeslane profile image82
      snakeslaneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Has the offending Hub been removed? I didn't see it listed just now when I checked.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this
        1. snakeslane profile image82

Thanks Mark, What I meant to say is I didn't see it listed on Sarra's page.

You mean you didn;t read the whole thread!

They moved it into the humor section.  So no longer related.

1. snakeslane profile image82

I thought I read the whole thread, guess not. Thanks. smile

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 11 years ago

Sarra - I would delete the hub if it were mine.  HP gets paid for having that on your hub, they would lose money if they ask it to be removed, and we all know what their decision will be.

1. profile image0

Hi Old Pool Man.  Yes we do know what HP's response will be I still haven't heard from them.

3. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 11 years ago

I dont think HP is going to try and remove that piece of ____ hub, but maybe they will let you know which keywords are making it come up in the "suggested hubs". I went through yours and tried to find a word to eliminate that would also make that hub go away, but was not able to, so maybe HP will be able to tell you. It is worth trying to email them.
    Good luck with this. I realize he said it is just a satire but too many people will just take it seriously and "open the front door" like he suggests. I wouldn´t want to be associated with his suggestions.

1. profile image0

I don't think they will remove it either  I've even flagged it.  I am so very frustrated and HP won't write me back so I figured I'd get a feed going.  I really don't want to delete this hub as it will take forever to put it somewhere else.

HP should allow us to say which hubs say or go especially this one about getting rid of dogs.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I dont think you should delete it. You did a good job on it and it is sure to help some people.

1. profile image0

Thank you DrMark.  I know my hub will help a lot of people and the 'idiots' hub will only hurt innocent animals.  This is just not funny at all.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

How about putting the name of that hubber in your profile under "banned hubbers"? I am not sure if that will work, or only works on the profile pages, but you might try it.

Actually it is called "others you might like" blacklist.

1. NateB11 profile image89

I always wondered what that was for. Sounds like this might be a good instance of why it should be used.

2. profile image0

Good Idea DrMark I'll try that.

3. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What did you flag it for?  I skimmed the hub and found no rule violations.  It is reasonably well written - grammar and spelling were reasonable, pictures were OK, etc.  Bullet point formatting could use a little help, but that's not sufficient to unpublish it or redo the methods used (whatever they are) that put the link on your hub. 

Bottom line is that I suspect you're right - it will not be removed.  HP bends over backward to NOT censor hubs any more than necessary and removing that hub because someone doesn't like the content would definitely fall into that category.  Judging from the comments, it is about 50/50 that it is being recognized as humor or satire (guess lots of people don't read the disclaimer at the end) so quite a few people would disagree even that it is wrong somehow to publish it even outside of the censorship angle.

wilderness, she is not asking that it be censored, just not associated with her article. There is a difference. If HP decided to attach something totally revolting at the bottom of one of your hubs, and you felt that it made references to you, would you want it associated with your work?
          How about if you wrote a hub about "How to repair a faucet" and HP put up an article about "How to use a faucet to bludgeon your wife when she is asleep"? Would that type of association be okay?

1. wilderness profile image94

Don't get me wrong here - I find it pretty inappropriate to be listed as other reading on her hub as well.  But yes, she is asking for censorship because she finds the content inappropriate - get the reference to it off her hub.

I'm just saying that HP cannot make subjective judgement calls on every link placed on every hub.  The logistics make it impossible, and we're all going to have to live with that. 

Nor should they make those kinds of calls - the day HP begins to censor hubs based on objectionable content (such as the humor gone wrong in the hub in question) will be the day I pack it in here.  There are lots of hubs far worse (bad medical advice comes to mind) that are here - it is up to the reader to make those calls, not HP.

1. profile image0

I understand that wilderness, however, the point is that it is promoting animal abuse and cruelty which a lot of people take seriously and will act upon it as sadists would.  There is a certain amount of censorship here on HP so why can't a group of people get together and get one particular hub unlisted.  I was appalled at what I read in it.  Why would HP want to promote something that is against the law and promotes cruelty to animals.  Like DrMark said it's would be the same as promoting how to bludgeon your wife/husband to death with a lead pipe.

2. SmartAndFun profile image95

Can't we flag for promoting something illegal? He is recommending dumping animals at the park or the other side of town. Can we promote illegal activities in our articles as long as there is proper grammar and bullet points?

I did see that the author put a disclaimer at the end of the article, although IMHO it doesn't help much.
          "Note: This Blog Is Not To Be Taken Seriously! As Bob Barker from The Price Is Right would say... "Have your pets spayed or neutered today.""

If you can find anything in the TOS or rules of HP that states hub content must not promote illegal actions, even as humor or satire with a disclaimer not to take it seriously, then flag away!  Otherwise you are wasting both your time and that of the moderators.

2. NateB11 profile image89

That was my take when I flagged the one hub I ever flagged; that it was promoting doing harmful things to people, supposedly joking. I can tell good satire when I see it, this was not good, maybe satire but at its worst; I admit that can be subjective.

As far as the Hub in question, it's similar. However, I can see the point that it's not actually advocating doing those things. It's mainly guilty of just being plain dumb and simplistic while trying to be clever.

3. profile image0

Hi Smart and Fun.  Let's all flag this hub and get rid of it.  I will attempt to blacklist it and see if that works.

3. profile image0

promoting something wicked or cruel to pets is a crime in itself and should not have been allowed even with a disclaimer at the end.

2. K9keystrokes profile image83
      K9keystrokesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Dr. Mark, You rock! cool

4. rebthomas profile image79
    rebthomasposted 11 years ago

yes I agree that it is a disgusting hub (not yours obviously).  I am surprised that it was approved.

1. profile image0

Me too!  This hub promotes animal abuse and should not be allowed on this site.

5. profile image0
    delleaposted 11 years ago

I think you meant the hub called "10 ways to get rid of a pet", and yes, it promotes animal cruelty and should be reported (I reported it as well). Animal cruelty is a crime, despite whether someone has a twisted sense of humor or not, criminal activity should not be promoted on HP in any form, I think it takes away from the quality of all of the other hubbers.

1. profile image0

thank you della for reporting it as well.  Let's see if we can get everyone to report this disgusting hub promoting animal cruelty.

6. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

If it is censorship, it is censorship hubpages allows--by the mechanism already discussed

7. rebthomas profile image79

I agree that the right to free speech should be honored in many areas of our lives.  But I also think that a business such as Hubpages has the right to censorship.  They would not stay in business if they didn't.  I didn't care for the humor of that hub but apparently some people do.  I guess the review of that hub should state that it is humor?  Even reading the disclaimer I got the feeling that hubber is not a pet fan.  I am a dog lover and I agree that I wouldn't want it associated with my hub about dogs.

8. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

I read the article in question and it is pretty close to content I would produce.  Satire, humor and even a small message, well hidden, about caring for your pet.  He lets it down slightly with the explanation or excuse at the end - because that is a satire cop-out.  "I didn't mean it".

I understand the OP not wanting to be associated with it but that is a problem with the HP linking to other content.  I don't want to be linked to anything, apart from my own stuff.  Every other link is just a drain and a lot of it is content I don't want to be associated with either.

Many people don't get satire or fun or humor - unless it is ten funny smells or something.  No one has yet complained about seeing my stuff on their links - but they will do one day.

It's a tough one.  A lot of the people who wander in, or even pose that question, might not want the content.  But some will love it, share it, Reddit it.

Incidentally, I am an animal lover.  I would never want to see any real harm. That is not what this article promotes - in my opinion.  If we have to dumb down to the lowest level becuase some people are too stupid to get it - then we... I... may as well give up.

I am not stupid, but I don't think this article is all that funny. I can see how the author is trying to be funny, but I don't think he was all that successful. I can also see why the OP doesn't want to promote this article on hers. I don't think it's too much to ask of admin.

It's censorship.

Just to remove the link to his article from her article? They can place his link on some other hub.

Well I suspect it is all automated.  Like Adsense ads that contradict the message of your own page.

Of course it's automated.  With over a million hubs, to have someone read each hub and then read 6 more to use as links (and do it every hour or so) isn't going to work very well!

2. DrMark1961 profile image96

Mark, If you wrote a hub about "How to get rid of your negro neighbors" and recommended calling up the Ku Klux Klan and giving them the address, I do not think you could just pass it off by saying "oh, it was just satire". You are saying that this is okay if it is only about a dog.
          The OP thinks the article is just as offensive. Why should she be denied the right to remove this post from her hub?

I don't think I said she should be denied. But the policing of such a facility would be a nightmare - unless we can all weed out hubs.  As I said - I would weed out the competition on my pages.

I have been playing with the idea of a truly racially offensive article for quite some time.  It is such an obvious thing to do for some satire.  HP is probably not the place for it - which would make it even funnier in my opinion.

However I haven't.  Yet.  On the plus side I have satirised child beating and the Taliban treatment of women - both fairly near the knuckle and would offend some I am sure. Oh and religion of course, but that goes without saying.

What is the purpose of satire?  To mock and undermine.  I don't think the article is great but he exposes valid points about people's treatment of animals.  It is wrong.  I think he tries to subvert it.

As for pet loving in general.  I have two old lady dogs, getting frailer each day, with a number of ailments.  They are the most important part of my life.  I love my animals with a passion I don't expend on human beings.  I hate animal cruelty.

Clearly I am not offended by what is obviously a joke.  If you read it that is.

1. profile image0

It comes down to what we percive as a joke or not.  This one isn't funny.  Being a wrongful death investigator for over 20 years I've seen some pretty crisperd people and had to get a sick since of humor about my work, of course this was kept in the office and not in any of my notes as they were supoenable.  There is a time and a place for certain satire.

2. profile image0

And my question is why hasn't HP responded to my email? Things that make you go Hmmm

1. spartucusjones profile image90
              spartucusjonesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

When did you email them? If there is a backlog it might take a couple of days.

1. profile image0

email them on Friday

2. NateB11 profile image89

Maybe I'll have to re-read that Hub, because I would have never thought it was similar to one of yours, Mark. But maybe I misread it, I'd have to go back to it, you might be right. There is such a thing as being intentionally offensive to get the point across; you know, pointing to what is offensive by being offensive. But I mean, this guy threw in the kitchen sink: "Foreigners", the homeless, animals; but maybe that was the joke. I think I'll give it a second look.

It's not brilliant Nate, but I think that is what he is doing.  It's all a joke.

Yes, I re-read it. I see what he is doing. It is more evident as it goes along. I definitely saw it this time around.

3. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, it's humor gone wrong, but to cal for it to be censored is not what HP is meant to do nor should we promote that the site bans or deletes content that we don't agree with or understand.

4. profile image0

Mark your humor us a little bit different than this, yours doesn't promote anything illegal even with sick humor involved.  There are many people in this world who would read it and take these suggestions seriously.

9. TheKatsMeow profile image88
    TheKatsMeowposted 11 years ago

This is sickening! I am not going to search for it, because I don't want an article about animal cruelty to get more page views and make more money. I sounds like it is encouraging animals to be harmed, so that would definitely be a violation of hubpages policies...

For those who would rather condemn after reading here is the link...
      http://barcos.hubpages.com/hub/10-Ways- … d-Of-A-Pet

1. WriteAngled profile image75
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Personally, I don't find it funny. I find it sad.

I have four cats and at the moment am dealing with significant stress due to the fact the oldest has possibly become a bit senile. Whatever, he has decided to use a spot in the living room as his personal toilet area. I've tried everything, but cannot solve the problem. In the end, I'm just dealing with it with mats, plastic sheets and lots of cleaning. Myrddin is perhaps 18 years old, maybe older, and I've had him for nearly 15 years. I'm not happy with the situation, but there is no way I could throw him out or even take him to the cat shelter. He was a shelter animal to begin with. When I offered him a home, I made a commitment to him. This is not something I can go back on now just because life has become difficult.

1. profile image0

It's so nice to see so many animal lovers here on HP.  I'm sorry about your aging cat.  I have a 15 y/o blind dog that I've had since a puppy and she has accidents from time to time and she's finally getting the potty pad thing down.  There is nothing else wrong with her other than a little senility which we all get, but I wouldn't want to be dropped off on the side of the road because of it.

2. TheKatsMeow profile image88
        TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@Mark Ewbie: My point is that now, this person with the "awful" Hub that people have said contains animal cruelty is being rewarded because everyone is going to read this article.

He might make a few cents.  He is probably being flagged all over the place or the QAPpers will get him.

It does not contain animal cruelty.  In fact some of those 'good' articles about animal cruelty contain appalling images whcih are truly shocking.  There's a whole other argument there about people using animal suffering to make money.. but hey.

So don't worry about a few cents.  People can read and judge - which is fairly civilised.  This is quite an interesting thread.

1. TheKatsMeow profile image88
            TheKatsMeowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I just read the article and it was not at all bad. I had to laugh because it isn't about animal cruelty at all: the author sounds like he is advocating for keeping your pets.  I humbly admit I was wrong not to read it before judging and just going on what I had read on here...

2. profile image0

I'm pleased with the responses I am getting regarding this subject.  It is an interesting thread and I am in hopes this will be flagged all over the place.  I will try the blacklist and see if that works.  I'm more bothered the HP hasn't responded to my request.

2. profile image0

Amen it is promoting cruelty to animals and should be censored.  So many other 'harmless' articles are censored so why not this one?

10. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

I think regardless of the intent and content of any hub, regardless of whether subtle satire is involved or not, we should be allowed to block associations being made between certain hubs and our own material if we are not happy about them.

Wilderness mentioned bad medical advice. That is a particular bugbear of mine. A number of my hubs are balanced, carefully researched articles based on findings in the medical literature. I do not want to see them linked with garbage produced by promoters of various snake oils!

Surely a writer should have the right to deny being associated with content that goes against his or her ethics, beliefs, morals, expertise, etc, etc.

Valid points.  If we were allowed to block content I would block anything that I thought was better than mine or might take readers away from me.

2. wilderness profile image94

Medical advice is a bad one, all right, simply because there are far too many gullible or desperate people out there that will listen to anything.  I have another one as well - as a professional long time electrician I write on doing your own work.  I know what works and what is safe; too much "advice" I see is given by someone that has no idea of what is safe and what can be deadly.  Some of the things I see I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to do.

I think that aravindb1982 has the answer; you can put three authors in the "blacklist" section on your profile.  If you need more than that, you probably have a problem yourself.

I fear though that this only affects what is seen on your profile. I do not think it affects whether that person's hubs get associated with yours.

And besides there are more than three promoters of snake oil on HP....

It might be, at that - I've never tried it so don't really know.

Yeah, there are lots of snake oil salespeople.  The likelihood of finding links to more than three of your hubs would, I think, be slim.  Could be wrong again, though - I don't write too many of the types of hubs that would be very popular with people giving advice that could be dangerous.

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
            MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would just like to say that I resent the term "snake-oil salesman".  I prefer the term "Reptile Effervescence sales person."

I believe I write the type of hub that you are speaking of wink

You're selling lizard alka-seltzer?  Komodo's always look like they have a cold, all slobbery and everything, but I can't think of any others.  And I would really to watch you give either the pill or the drink to one....

I once gave alka seltzer to a toad.  True story.  I was only about 8 but the outcome was bad enough to have formed a clear memory even at 37. I would imagine that the komodo would fair a bit better.

I do mention alligator dung in one of my herbal hubs... is that close enough?

1. profile image0

A couple of years ago I was in a local PetSmart store to buy some fish and supplies for my fish tank. While I was there, two teens (apparently high) came in and I saw them looking and laughing at scorpions in a tank in the neighboring section. Overhearing their conversation, their plan was to pull a prank on a friend, they were buying a scorpion to put in the guy's bed or something in their dorm, something to that effect. There are plenty of sadists in this world, giving them more ideas than they already have to harm pets or people (or both) probably is not such a great idea. And again, such content in HubPages could very well put HP and its hubbers in a very bad light indeed. If someone who has never heard of HP and saw that particular hub come up in a search, they might think that HP is all about satire and/or animal cruelty... not a good light to shine on the rest of us who have much higher quality content to offer here on HP than that.

2. SmartAndFun profile image95

If Sara Garrett tries this I hope she will chime back in and let us know if it worked. My understanding is the blacklist feature just prevents specific hubbers from appearing on your profile.

3. Bill Yovino profile image86
      Bill Yovinoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well said! The issue is bigger than this particular case. The point isn't whether or not the piece is satire, but whether a Hubber should be able to say "No, that is not a Hub that I want to help promote."

1. profile image0

Thank you, don't you feel we all have that right to ask that an ad be pulled if it is conflicting with our own articles.  Let's take a poll on this.

11. rebthomas profile image79

Good point DrMark1961.  I love humor and I love satire but I just didn't think it was that good of a piece.  the satire was not all that evident.  And yes there should be boundaries.  So I still say hubpages can censor what they want.  It is their business.

12. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Actually, wouldn't one solution be the ability to nominate up to a certain number of hubs (not your own) to be featured with a specific hub of yours? Each author would then be able, if he/she wished, to search for the best examples of complementary material.

I would love that option. I know it has been requested before.... maybe some day.

2. profile image0

Great Idea WriteAngled!  I wonder if HP would go for that or not....hmmm

13. MelissaBarrett profile image58
    MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Ok... just imagine this situation:

Dear HP,

I wrote a pro-choice hub and there is a pro-life hub at the bottom of it. I find it disgusting and I want it deleted immediately.

or

I wrote a pro-traditional marriage hub and there is a gay right's hub at the bottom.  I want it deleted... and the author's profile banned as good measure.

or

Dear Google,

I have a hub on animal rights and three blogs that I don't like have linked to it.  Please remove these blogs from you search engine immediately.

I love censorship!  Do I get to remove everything on the internet that I don't like now?

Firstly, it is not Google being addressed. Secondly, it's not a question of removing a given hub totally, but removing it from view on our own hub.

Actually, on Squidoo that is possible. If you take the trouble for fill in six related lenses, these are the ones that will appear with your lens.

I don't see anything wrong with that.

Actually if you read the title, she wants the hub DELETED NOW.

What they do on Squid is irrelevant, as she's not on squidoo right now.  Expecting a change in an entire system because you find something personally offensive is unreasonable. 

My example is perfectly apt, if somewhat hyperbolic, as a way to show that point.

People need to stop thinking that everyone needs to cater to their specific whims... no matter how unreasonable the request.

She wants it deleted FROM HER HUB, which is a totally reasonable request.

As for relevance, it depends on the importance somebody places on the freedom to control what is being associated with their work. To some people, it might be one of the deciding factors with respect to choices concerning publishing material in future.

Flagging is an attempt to get it removed in general. The OP and several others in this thread have flagged it with that in mind.  It didn't fail QAP and it doesn't violate the TOS so that's ridiculous.

And that is find if they decide that they don't want things associate with their work... as long as they realize that they don't get to choose that in most circumstances on the internet.  So they might want to consider publishing offline.

Or she could just put a disclaimer at the end of her hub saying she doesn't endorse the links... which WOULD be in her control, is a simple solution and doesn't require an entire thread of witch-hunters with pitch-forks.

2. profile image0

This would be a once in a lifetime request due to the nature of my hub.  I don't think  it is an unreasonable request to ask this promotion be removed from my page.  It is promoting illegal activities and cruelty to animals which can also be passed on to cruelty to people i.e. child abuse.  People who deliberately harm animals have tendencies to harm people in the same manner.  Not Cool.

2. bBerean profile image61
        bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree, censorship should be very carefully applied, based on the TOS, and not because someone does not want a hub associated with theirs.  Certainly a hub should not be deleted solely for this reason.  I like the other point you raise though, writeangled.

Allowing willing authors to recommend which other hubs are associated with theirs, is a great idea!  Recommendations generated by keywords, particularly in broad genres, are much less likely to prove interesting or relevant to the original topic than one recommended by a hubber whose work you know you enjoy.

I hope HP considers this.

2. profile image0

It isn't about simple censorship, MelissaBarrett... I glanced at the topics you write about and you've written about things I'm not interested in, I'm sure that you could say the same about my hubs. But what I'm getting at is that particular hub "10 ways to get rid of a pet" should have been classified as adult humor or satire in HP somehow if that was its intention. I do realize that some people live for satire despite how sick it may seem in the wrong contexts. It would behoove HP to at least classify hubs better in the related hubs section at the bottom of our hubs. If someone writes a hub about gay marriage for example then a pro-marriage hub shouldn't appear in related hubs or vice-versa, don't you agree? But even based on your own articles... would you deem hubs to be appropriate if they condone hurting animals, children, or adults for that matter? I understand the concept of creativity, but harming people or animals simply isn't creative... it isn't even satire... it's just plain wrong. And sure, people can read about pro-animal cruelty anywhere on the web, but wouldn't you think that such negative content would damage ALL hubbers in Google search results for example?

14. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 11 years ago

Yeesh, talk about sweating the small stuff. I barely even take notice of whatever articles are linked to the bottom of my Hubs.

15. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I just don;t see it as censorship because it is not a good "you might also be interested in..." link for a non-humor informational hub. So however you feel about the hub per se, it does not need to be linked in that area.

16. rebthomas profile image79

His satire does inspire passion I must give him that.  So maybe he really did a good job.  :<)

17. jakkadan profile image59
    jakkadanposted 11 years ago

hey there, Sarra Garrett,
    is this "10 ways to get rid of a dog", hub about passing a dog over to somebody else, maybe coz it is too boisterous, they can't train it, or some other similar reason.
    if this is the case, then surely all they r guilty of is maybe giving it an inappropriate title, eh???
    however, if it is about planning the demise of a dog then i would agree with you, that it isn't really on and it would most likely be deemed offensive to many people.
    but i can't see it happening, can anyone else here see hub-pages or any other site for that matter, condoning this, weird behaviour if it is.
    warm regardz {^_^}
    jakkadan

1. profile image0

Hey Jakkaddn.  It does promote 'dropping the dog off on the side of the road', etc.  not cool. Censorship happens on HP all of the time as it does everywhere else, there are rules to be followed.  Satire or not this one just isn't funny if it is promoting illegal activity.

18. Horatio Plot profile image73
    Horatio Plotposted 11 years ago

Goodness. Give the guy a break people. It's actually quite a funny Hub. If there is a problem then it's to do with the way that Hubs are linked.
    Sarra's Hub is in the category, "Pets and Animals, Animal Care and Safety, Animal Handling."
    Barcos's Hub is in "Entertainment and Media, Humor".
    Perhaps Hubs should be linked by keyword and category. Might save a little heartache...

I have suggested this to HP several times but so far it has fallen on deaf ears.

2. wilderness profile image94

Pet lovers have no humor - is that why it should not be linked to a hub about pet care?

Personally, I didn't like it and rather think that the comments on it indicate that the public in general isn't getting it.  Still, that's no reason to deny category "humor" links from a serious hub about the same general topic (pets).

1. profile image0

but shouldn't the humor category stay in humor when mine is about pets and pet handling?

19. Morgaren profile image68
    Morgarenposted 11 years ago

Satire is something to be respected, in my opinion. It's obviously not real advice, its funny. If you don't find it funny, I really don't think you have a firm grasp on how horrible the world really is and can be. You don't improve things by ignoring problems, you do it by bringing them to light. That is exactly what that hub did. I see it as a good thing. You have to realize two things, people who don't care are not going to go searching on the internet and find that advice and use it, they are just going to do one of those horrible things. Two, impulsive pet ownership is a real problem, its why some major pet store chains won't sell rabbits around easter.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree Morgaren. The hub is harmless. No one is going to take any 'advice' from this obvious joke. I find hubs that promote adopting parking lot puppies to be more harmful.

20. John Jason Hosac profile image60
    John Jason Hosacposted 11 years ago

Nothing for nothing and while it may be in poor taste it is meant to be humorous.....We all have a right to an opinion, you of all people should know that. Thank you for your service as a veteran but you fought for our way of life and the constitution of the USA. This allows idiots with poor taste to voice their opinion or whatever you would like to call it. You would think that if this guy was serious that the ASPCA would be investigating no?

21. jenb0128 profile image91
    jenb0128posted 11 years ago

Well, I read it. I enjoy satire, but I didn't find this hub funny at all. That being said, I didn't see anything "flag-worthy" about it. Still, I wouldn't want it promoted on one of my hubs either, and seeing that most of my hubs are about birds and cats, I can see it popping up on one of them.

In addition to the poor humor, there's something else about it that made me cringe:
    "If You're Pet Is Cute Enough, Find A Celebrity Or A Bum"

You're?  Arrggghhhh!!!!

wink

lol  That's the worst part of the whole page, isn't it?  lol

1. jenb0128 profile image91
        jenb0128posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know! I can't believe they let trash like that get through the QA process! wink

22. Morgaren profile image68
    Morgarenposted 11 years ago

Also I would like to point out, the moment we start declaring "what is funny" and by proxy acceptable to be published, we lose the right to enjoy being creative by our own hands.

"I don't think that's funny" does not translate to mean "I don't think that should be published." There's a lot of comedy on TV that isn't to my own personal taste, but I don't go around campaigning to get it taken off the air. I simply change the channel when it comes on.

As far as this particular hub, myself and at least a few others failed to see the humor in it, but said there was no reason to delete it (even though I understood the OP's objection to having it linked on her own hub).

2. profile image0

Animal cruelty is not funny or creative. The statements in that article may work in a stand-up club filled with drunks, but that kind of comedy does not work in printed form. If a serial killer created an HP account and posted "10 ways to kill someone you hate" I'd think some people would take serious offense to it as well, or if someone posted about rape, incest, etc. Of course, some people actually enjoy that kind of crap on shows like Family Guy, so I guess such sickness is funny and creative to everyone else but myself.

1. Morgaren profile image68
        Morgarenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would totally read 10 ways to kill someone you hate.

2. spartucusjones profile image90

If a serial killer wrote a hub 10 ways to kill someone you hate there would be a good chance that the piece wouldn't be satire and it also might cause issue with the TOS. But I think it would be possible for a non serial killer to write that hub in a satirical way. Of course it would potentially be provocative and offend some. But the idea of satire isn't to promote the act, but it is to highlight the ridiculousness of the act. Of course that point can sometimes be loss to the reader.

23. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

The hub in question is gone from her feed. Meas either HP is listening or the flags worked.

The Hub still exists, but I think it's in a different category. I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but I think it was under the category of "pets" (something along those lines) and now it's under humor. At least, I had remembered it being categorized under "pets" before, I could be wrong.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92

That does make more sense if it is a joke.

2. profile image0

Whoo I'll have to check this out.  If it's gone I'll do a happy happy joy joy dance

1. profile image0

HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY IT'S DELETED FROM MY PAGE.     

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO FLAGGED THIS HORRIBLE HUB THAT WAS ASSOCIATED WITH MINE.  IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO GET THINGS DONE SOMETIMES AND HP IS DEFINATELY A STRONG VILLAGE.

The Hub is still published, but it is no longer linked to your page.

1. profile image0

Isn't that wonderful!  Everyone here helped that happen and I thank each and everyone of my fellow Hubbers for their help.

Censorship or not, it happens.  We should be able to pick related hubs to promote on our pages.  That would be awsome.

But it has nothing to do with the flags, because the Hub is still published on Hubpages (as it should be). So it probably has nothing to do with your fellow Hubbers. It might of had to do with your personal request to Hubpages. It is also possible that they also responded to your email and it was intercepted into your spam folder.

As far as censorship, the hub not being featured with yours is not censorship. Deleting the Hub completely would be censorship, and that I would have issue with.

1. profile image0

Thank  you spartacusjones for your response.  I didn't think the request to delete it off my hub was censorship either it was obviously placed in the wrong spot.  I'm just so glad it is gone and can't be promoted through one of my hubs anymore.

24. spartucusjones profile image90
    spartucusjonesposted 11 years ago

I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but I decided I will throw my two cents in. There is a number of interesting questions and issues raised which I will like to address.

To begin with I like the suggestion of being given the option of manually selecting the Hubs that are featured with mine. In my case I am not someone who is easily offended, but quite often I do feel that the Hubs that are featured are not particularly relevant to my Hub.

The other question which was raised was how did this Hub pass QAP? To begin with the Hub is 4 years old, so it predates QAP. Besides that it really doesn't violate TOS so there really isn't a basis for flagging. Also since the Hub is a 4 year old Hub published by an inactive Hubber with only 2 Hubs, this thread successfully brought traffic to a Hub which was most likely ignored up to this point.

Also some feel that it should be removed because it promotes cruelty to animals and illegal activity. This is were I would disagree. In my mind it promotes neither. It is an attempt at satire (whether or not it is successful is a whole another argument). Part of the purpose of satire is to use humor to highlight the ridiculous of certain activities. So I would actually argue that the Hub is anti cruelty to animals.

That is just my two cents.

If you were referring to my comment (apologies if you weren't, but I couldn't find any others asking about how the Hub passed QAP), it was a joke about the "you're/your" error in the Hub.

I guess I'm just as guilty of failed attempts at humor as the hubber in question! wink

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Get her!

Ack!

*runs away and hides*

1. profile image0

I can still see you.

No, it wasn't your comment, and I knew you were joking. There was at least one other post asking about how the article got approved (QAP may of not been mentioned directly) and it was due to what they deemed as inappropriate content. This being said there has been so many responses on this thread it is hard to keep up with them all!

25. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Great.  Now the damn thing is linked to my humor pages.  My page on how I once found an amusing picture of a hamster on the internet - entertaining and completely child safe (apart from the swearing and pictures of women)  - is now accompanied by a series of articles on how to kill and maim animals.

I am outraged.  Send it back to the pet disposal section.

I have a hub attached to one of my hubs with a picture of a child wrapped in a snake that easily outweighs him and could likely eat him if the snake had the sudden compulsion.

I am outraged, send it back to the Child Disposal Section.

I want the ability to ban hubs and hubbers that I don't like from a system that was put in place to promote interlinking of hubs, exposure of lesser known hubbers and general HP connectivity.

Because I LOVE it when sites become popularity contests and other people are black listed from site benefits because they say stuff that others disagree with... or are just plain unpopular.

26. profile image0
    Sarra Garrettposted 11 years ago

My intent wasn't to get anyone blacklisted or thrown off of HP nor to get their hub pulled from the site.  My intent was to get it off my page as it was, to me, inappropriate content satire or not in relation to my hub. 

It's gone now from my hub and I'm thankful to everyone who has put in their two cents as I asked.  It has been a very intesting discussion to say the least and I agree with everyone and understand their points of view on this subject.

Believe it or not I do have a sense or humor and happen to laugh my A$$ off at Family Guy at times.  However, I am also an animal advocate and just can't condone any type of sick humor about hurting animals. 

I am currently living on a farm (not much longer) wherein I have the ASPCA coming out today to take the hogs off the farm as the farmer is not feeding the hogs real food - instead he is feeding the hogs dead hogs and they have absolutely no water. In checking on the hogs one day I had to actually shoot one that was being eaten alive - I shit you  not.   Not to mention the dog on the property isn't being taken care of either so I've stepped in.  These hogs will have to be all put down because they are full of boils and hernias due to the animal cruelty.  The dog, well, the jury is still out on him because he is so wild and would rather try to bite you, even the hand that feeds him. 

When it comes to child abuse and animal abuse I'm on it like a pile of stink. 
    THANK YOU MY FELLOW HUBBERS for your input on this subject all of the people who have taken part in this have valid points.

27. profile image0
    Beth37posted 11 years ago

Can I just say Sarra, I believe God made you that way.
    I like dogs and most animals, but Ive never considered myself an animal person. But if *you were not an animal person, who would help them when they were in need? I have a heart for orphans, another person: the environment, another: widows, another: justice... My point is, we don't have to share the same passions to realize that we all were made up with innate qualities that make the world a better place. I'm glad you are an advocate for something some of us may have a lesser interest in. Godspeed! smile

28. spartucusjones profile image90

The most interesting thing I find about this thread is the amount of traffic that ended up being directed to this Hub. The Hub is four years old. On top of that the Hubber only has 5 Hubs published and only two of those are featured. It appears that the Hubber is inactive. Even though the Hub was getting enough traffic to be featured, I doubt it was getting a huge amount of traffic. But I am sure that it got a decent of amount of traffic in the last couple of days.

Wouldn't it of been ironic if the Hub was in the process of going idled and the traffic surge from this thread ended up saving it. Now a number of people are aware of a forgotten 4 year old Hub that they wouldn't of been aware of otherwise.

1. nufoundglory profile image59
      nufoundgloryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sarah's also getting the surge of traffic because of this thread she started. Everyone seems to forget that, it seems.

1. profile image0

Why are you concerned with how many or if ppl have forgotten this fact?

2. profile image0

Oooo I made a whole $.19 cents gee I don't think I'm making as much money as you think.  It's not like I'm getting rich on this thread or any of my articles.  It was a 'mistake' on the part of HP and it has been removed and put in the correct category.  Let this guy do whatever he wants I personally don't want to be associated with this type of content and I have a right to ask that it be moved. 

It never hurts to ask and stand up for your convictions.  If you had a similar situation you would have done the same thing.  I'm not out to get anyone banned or thrown off the end of the world.  I believe we are able to write through freedom of speech but that doesn't mean that I have to be associated in any way shape or form with someone that I don't want to be associated with no matter where in the world I am....cyber space or feet planted on terra firma.

3. WriteAngled profile image75

What a very petty statement!

29. spartucusjones profile image90

I am also thinking that I need to write a Hub to offend someone so I can get an increase in traffic. Maybe I will write a hub 10 Ways to Get Rid of Humans. Except most people love their animals more that their fellow humans, so maybe no one would notice.

30. Mark Ewbie profile image81

Few more random points because I can't leave this thread yet.

Ability to remove hubs from the links on your page.  That would be great, can't see how it could work.  Suggest it in the suggestion box.

Glad Sarra is content.

I don't really like putting articles in the 'satire' section because to my mind it needs to be satirisng in the real subject sections.  Whenever I have to put a piece in the humor section I feel I have failed.

There are subjects I won't touch because I can't find an angle and it is too risky to have readers who might believe it.

As for Barcus - he wrote a piece four years ago and finally gets some attention.  Never give up!

I am inclined to agree with you Mark about satire in the humor section. I don't write too many satirical pieces, but when I do I put them in the serious section. That being said on a couple of occasions I did put a disclaimer about my intent. I hate to do that, but I realize the sensitive nature of some and I didn't want to run into problems. That being said I am probably too nice to be writing satire. Also as a Canadian I feel the need to profusely apologize anytime I offend anyone.

That apologising thing is a killer.  I wrote a piece without one, then put one in, then took it off.   It's hard to know what to do.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You can already list up to three hubbers you don't want to appear there.

1. profile image0

Ill be honest, I never understood what exactly happened in Sarra's case here anyway.
        How did someone post on her page? Or... IDK, I have no idea what exactly happened. It's difficult being this beautiful, I guess I couldn't have intelligence too.

At the bottom of hubs there are links to hubs that are supposed to be similar to the hub; it's most likely automated how they get there. The offensive (I guess depending on your viewpoint) hub in question was among those hubs at the bottom of Sarra's Hub.

1. profile image0

Ohhh! Yes, I see. Sorry.
            Thanks!

No problem.

31. moonlake profile image81
    moonlakeposted 11 years ago

This hub is in number one spot on Google, along with sites How to get rid of Pet Odor
    and How To Get Rid of Pet Stains.

I just checked for the phrase How To Get Rid of Pets and it was the second site listed on the 1st page. Also according to Google keyword tool How to Get Rid of Pets gets 2,900 monthly searches for broad matches. So it is possible I was wrong in my original assessment. Maybe he was getting traffic.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92

When I researched that phrase I found some forums that had actual advice on how to murder your neighbor's dog. Apparently there are lots of people who are bothered by barking and are either unwilling or unable to work it out with the dog owner.

32. yupperclub profile image60
    yupperclubposted 11 years ago

since when is killing someone satirical?

If the Hub is written in a non serious, joking way then it can be satirical. Also we are not talking about the actual promoting of the act of killing. Satire makes fun of the act that it comments on. So in that regard you can write satire on just about any subject.

33. VVanNess profile image79
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

What's interesting is that it's 1) easy to train a dog not to bark inappropriately, and 2) understandable that dogs bark. We now have two labs, a one year old and a two month old. Since our first one, Bruin, was little little, my neighbor has complained incessantly about him barking. She's even called Animal Control on us numerous times. However, I work at home, and we've trained him not to bark (except one time when the doorbell rings, lol).

There I am sitting at my desk, with Bruin asleep (the calmest dog in the entire world by the way, we got really lucky!) underneath me, and here she comes banging on my dog saying that I need to shut him up! Are you serious! He's in the room with me asleep!

There also happen to be two dogs across the street from her, one on the other side of her, two behind her, and then me beside her. I also have dogs behind me, diagonal from me away from her and next door to me on the other side. Dogs are barking all day long all around her and yet, Animal Control has come over and threatened to take my dog away because SHE (and only she) is complaining.

Conclusion: Dogs bark. It's in their nature. Live in a retirement home or invest in ear plugs if you don't like it. Believe me, we don't like it either. If you have a problem like barking early in the morning, late at night, or even better, nonstop at any time, please go and talk to the owner. Maybe the two of you can figure something out.

34. VVanNess profile image79
    VVanNessposted 11 years ago

Sorry for the soapbox. You can tell it's a little close to home. lol

35. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Some of you might want to avoid the movie How to Kill you Neighbour's Dog smile

Which actually is not about that...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)